New Mexico at Oklahoma

sybarite

Reaction score
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID

edit: New Mexico stats:
http://stats.ncaa.org/team/473/stats/12911

New Mexico is 11-0 with nine wins at home. Both close games. 88-87 over Marquette and 94-87 OT over Navy were in Albuquerque. They have had a relatively soft schedule. They are #9 in scoring, but only #262 in defense against scoring. They are #20 in three-point percentage. Nine different players will play ten minutes or more on average. They start two seniors, a junior, and two freshmen. They go 6-3, 6-0, 5-11, 5-10, and 5-7.

Last edited:
Quite an excellent first half. Seems like the ladies have confidence they lacked earlier in season. Also helps to get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turnovers making a big difference in this game.....

Tatum Veitenheimer is in attendance. She's every bit of 5'10 it looked like to me.

Half: OU 56 NM 25
OU is calming down after taking a 44-12 lead.

Pierre-Louis 14
Manning and Llanusa 13

Rebounds:
Pierre-Louis 8
Manning 6
Simpson 5

Penzo has 7 assists at the half.
Penzo, Ana, and EJ with two fouls each.

FG%: OU 50% NM 24.1%
3PT%: OU 36.8% NM 27.8% Maddie is 3-5. Everyone else is 4-14.

New Mexico's starting center didn't make the trip due to concussion.

She is their scorer. Without here they are having tons of woes.

We are playing out of our minds again. Penzo is running this team perfectly in her starts. Gabbi on fire, Lluanusa lights out. Just all clicking.

Tuesday will be interesting.

Penzo has been impressive lol I was part of the she isn’t more then a practice player, just shows a lot of kids need minutes to prove what they can become... she can really pass the ball. I would just like to see her shoot more, Uconn will leave her wide open....

Is New Mexico as bad as they looked today or was it a product of their weak schedule?

New Mexico was missing their post who is also their top rebounder and #2 scorer. I don't think that accounts for this much of a beatdown. But, it would have helped them. realtimerpi had NM at #11. But, they had only played one good team, Marquette who was #16 at the time. But, both Marquette and New Mexico have yet to win against a decent team on the road. NM was at home for all except the UTEP and NM State games.

Everyone was hitting today, at least to some extent. When Gabbi wasn't hitting (one for six from three in the first half), Maddie hit (3 of 5 in the first half). Gabbi exploded in the third quarter. Ana did well, a lot better when she was playing more disciplined when the starters were still in. I don't think Vivi, Gabbi, and Maddie played at all in the fourth quarter. Vivi and Maddie only played about five minutes of the third. It was funny to see Penzo on the bench with Maddie, Gabbi and Vivi at the end of the game for the last five or so minutes, kind of like she was one of the seniors now. Of course, she, Vivi, and Gabbi were in the same class.

Penzo has been impressive lol I was part of the she isn’t more then a practice player, just shows a lot of kids need minutes to prove what they can become... she can really pass the ball. I would just like to see her shoot more, Uconn will leave her wide open....

Yeah, kudos to Penzo. She seems to be just what this team needed.

It will be interesting to see how we will do against quicker more athletic teams but tonight's first three quarters were the best by OU women for some time. I'm not counting the UConn game. I could be wrong but I expect them to blow us away.

And I have to eat crow. I felt that Penzo didn't belong on the court except in garbage time. Was wrong. She is definitely contributing.

One other thing of importance; the emergence of Ana. Her three point shots will begin falling. She has the ability but it is a little bit of freshmanitis. But her over all game has improved significantly since we have started playing quality opponents. And she, unlike a lot of our players, has the ability to consistently get open for shots.

Since Penzo has been out front, we find scorers. Tonight, Gabbi didn't hit much in the first half (1 of 6 from three, although she scored five of the first eight points of the game. So, Maddie, bandage and all, stepped up and hit 3 of 4 from three, and we had our three-point shot established. Gabbi killed it in the third quarter.

But, Penzo continues to rotate that ball around until she finds an open shooter, and she creates. The internal passes to Vivi were beautiful. No bounce passes, and we have fewer turnovers. But, what has happened is that our three scorers, supposedly, Vivi, Maddie, and Gabbi are comfortable, and they are getting the ball when they are open. When we weren't rotating the ball, nobody was open.

Right now, Ana is not a solid three-point shooter. But, she is a scorer. She has so many ways to score that the three-point shot becomes just a tool. Her spin moves free her up for short jump shots and layups. She has a short jump shot. She seems to find a way to get to the rim, kind of hangs around there, gets some rebounds as well. Even if she isn't hitting her three, she is a scorer, at least if everyone else is scoring. With Ana, Vivi, Maddie, Gabbi, and Penzo on the floor, who do you guard? Penzo is dangerous, even if she doesn't shoot.

Penzo is 5 of 8 from the field, 3 of 5 from three, and two of two from the line. She can shoot. But, in her limited minutes, she is already #2 in assists with 26. Maddie has 27. Think Penzo will pass her against UConn?

I'm not sure what to expect. But, it would not surprise me if we came within twenty of UConn, and that isn't easy to do.

So that would tell me Madison is at least 6-0. tatum is 5-10.
which is a good sign considering Madison's height is up to such debate.

Back to NM game. Put me in the crow group regarding Penzo. Maybe she's stabilizing things.
Llanusa recent surge is great to see. Add that to Pellington's strong start. You can sell that
to 2019 recruits.
The back to back much better performances against better opponents are really encouraging.
Connect to 2017 kids to 2018 kids and hopefully connect to 2019 impact kids.
i still think we need to add someone in spring recruiting grad transfer/juco
ideally someone with some height.
With the scorers on the roster, they don't need to be a big point producing. Just defense and rebounding.

I have been amazed at how much we have improved since Penzo has been at point.

I don’t know what the future holds for this team.

Pellington and Anna seem to be making solid, steady improvement as freshmen.

Two weeks ago I doubted we would make the NCAA tourney, now there is hope.

Sherri made a bold move inserting the freshmen and Penzo, one that to some degree was forced on her by a short bench.

The next couple of games will shed more light on where this team is and could go.

As a long-time fan, this is refreshing and exciting.

As remarkable as Penzo's success at leading the team is that the team is actually moving. It is, for the first time recently, a motion offense.

Notice that Maddie or Gileysa likely bring the ball up, almost never Gabbi. Gabbi has become a full-time shooting guard.

There is a lot of pass and move suddenly. There is almost no dribbling. The fact that players are open is due to their own movement, not that of the person with the ball. Penzo almost never throws it away.

As remarkable as Penzo's success at leading the team is that the team is actually moving. It is, for the first time recently, a motion offense.

Notice that Maddie or Gileysa likely bring the ball up, almost never Gabbi. Gabbi has become a full-time shooting guard.

There is a lot of pass and move suddenly. There is almost no dribbling. The fact that players are open is due to their own movement, not that of the person with the ball. Penzo almost never throws it away.

I fear you folks are forgetting we have finally played a couple of games at home.

Let's see what happens when we go back on the road Tuesday.

We'll probably get killed Tuesday. But, a lot of teams die in Storrs. I will be pleased if we stay in contact and maintain our flow.

It's not that we beat South Florida and New Mexico. We played horribly in a couple of home games, as well as at UALR. What is exciting is that we suddenly had a group play like they were a team. Forgetting the level of talent, the fourth quarter against South Florida and the first two quarters against New Mexico were the best team ball that I have seen at OU since 2002. We were better than we played the past three years. We might have seen a part of it during one game a year. We simply haven't gelled as a team. It's like Penzo was a catalyst that allowed the gel to set..

We'll probably get killed Tuesday. But, a lot of teams die in Storrs. I will be pleased if we stay in contact and maintain our flow.

It's not that we beat South Florida and New Mexico. We played horribly in a couple of home games, as well as at UALR. What is exciting is that we suddenly had a group play like they were a team. Forgetting the level of talent, the fourth quarter against South Florida and the first two quarters against New Mexico were the best team ball that I have seen at OU since 2002. We were better than we played the past three years. We might have seen a part of it during one game a year. We simply haven't gelled as a team. It's like Penzo was a catalyst that allowed the gel to set..

I agree that our play in the three quarters you reference were about as good as we have played in years as a team. And there is no question Penzo has been key to that play. You cannot argue with 18 assist and only 3 TO's in those two games. However I am going to wait until we play the next 6 games to determine if she is that catalyst as it presently appears.

One could see that Penzo had great court vision and could pass the ball but for her career Penzo has never taken care of the basketball. Prior to the USF game Penzo had 19 assist and 21 TO's for her career. Hopefully get minutes starting gave her the confidence let her play her game instead of playing with the fear of making a mistake that would put her further behind the eight ball.

Games against UConn, Texas, ISU, TCU, OSU, Tech and Baylor will tell us a lot about if we have begun to gel as a team or if we merely experienced a two game anomaly like the one great game we normally play annually.

Back