No Karron for the pokes

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
• Expect Karron Johnson to attend Moberly Area Community College next year instead of Oklahoma State. Johnson was the prize recruit for the Cowboys in their early signing-period haul, but he will end up playing for Jay Spoonhour and attempt to rid himself of some of the baggage that dogged him during his high school days.

A report I heard from their pick-up games had Roger Franklin (6'4) working full time in the post.

Just as I expected.

I would be surprised if he ever plays for OSU.

You hear that Franklin is playing the post? Really?

Any time anyone says anything about new post players from the pickup games, they've been talking about Torin Walker, who has been getting some decent reports.

I could see Franklin playing the 4 in the four-guard attack, but not "the post."

(Note - I'm not saying that he's NOT... I just don't know... and haven't heard this... as noted I've only heard some stories about Walker.)

Just as I expected.

I would be surprised if he ever plays for OSU.

You hear that Franklin is playing the post? Really?

Any time anyone says anything about new post players from the pickup games, they've been talking about Torin Walker, who has been getting some decent reports.

I could see Franklin playing the 4 in the four-guard attack, but not "the post."

(Note - I'm not saying that he's NOT... I just don't know... and haven't heard this... as noted I've only heard some stories about Walker.)

From a guy that has watched some of the games. He said "down low". I didn't know that Ford was going to do a four guard attack. Doesn't seem too plausable to me to run full time in a conference like the Big 12, but we shall see....

Before you say it, Obi rebounded like a post last year, which I don't think your average big guard will be able to do on a regular basis. Obi really impressed me with his defense and rebounding during stretches last season.

From a guy that has watched some of the games. He said "down low". I didn't know that Ford was going to do a four guard attack. Doesn't seem too plausable to me to run full time in a conference like the Big 12, but we shall see....

Before you say it, Obi rebounded like a post last year, which I don't think your average big guard will be able to do on a regular basis. Obi really impressed me with his defense and rebounding during stretches last season.
Obi did rebound well but we had more success when he played less.

Our record* when obi averaged over 25 min: 3-10
Our record* when obi averaged 25 or less min: 9-1

*I left out the non-conf

During our last 12 games we went 9-3 obi started one game and averaged: 22 min, 4.75 rbs

Page, Terrel, Eaton, Anderson, & Moses played more minutes when we were playing our best basketball of the year. I think we had more success with the four guard than with obi playing 4.

Obi did rebound well but we had more success when he played less.

Our record* when obi averaged over 25 min: 3-10
Our record* when obi averaged 25 or less min: 9-1

*I left out the non-conf

During our last 12 games we went 9-3 obi started one game and averaged: 22 min, 4.75 rbs

Page, Terrel, Eaton, Anderson, & Moses played more minutes when we were playing our best basketball of the year. I think we had more success with the four guard than with obi playing 4.

How much of that do you think was Obi, and how much of it do you think was the team finally understanding the offense and what Ford was trying to do? Obi sure looked good against OU at the Ford Center. He killed us.

How much of that do you think was Obi, and how much of it do you think was the team finally understanding the offense and what Ford was trying to do? Obi sure looked good against OU at the Ford Center. He killed us.

I think that it was a case of Obi finally figuring out yet another role for him to play.

If you recall, when Ford benched Obi was when we basically switched to a four-guard lineup with Anderson playing the four instead of Obi.

It just took him a month or so to adjust to the new role, and when he did was when OSU was playing really well.

I didn't know that Ford was going to do a four guard attack. Doesn't seem too plausable to me to run full time in a conference like the Big 12, but we shall see....

He did OK with it last year; and Villanova has certainly done OK with it in the Big East.

I don't know if it's his "long-term" plan to always have a four-guard lineup, but it's been proven over the past several years that it can be succcesful at a high level, given you've got people who can really shoot.

attempt to rid himself of some of the baggage that dogged him during his high school days.

I assume that refers to academic baggage?

Can I also assume that Jay Spoonhour is Charlie Spoonhour's son?

I think Franklin will be the same sort of player as Obi, a strong guard that can play in the paint on defense when needed, and can step out and shoot three's and make life hard for the actual 4 that's guarding him.

Ford will probably try to get a lot of guys over the years in the Eric Coley mode to play the 4. We'll see if it works.

I think Franklin will be the same sort of player as Obi, a strong guard that can play in the paint on defense when needed, and can step out and shoot three's and make life hard for the actual 4 that's guarding him.

Ford will probably try to get a lot of guys over the years in the Eric Coley mode to play the 4. We'll see if it works.

Yeah, but neither Obi nor Roger are suited to play the 4 like Eric could. Eric Coley actually had post moves. I am just wondering if Roger is getting what he signed up for because it was my understanding that he wants to be a guard in college (only way he will sniff the league) and it doesn't appear that the pokes have enough other guys to play the post to allow him to do that (play the 3).

Ford wants Page at the 2. Walker showed up in shape and is doing well.

Johnson has a lot more than academic baggage. He's had anger issues ever since his dad was killed. Hopefully he can keep it together.

I am curious to see if Walker's defense is good enough to bring Obi off the bench.

Gulley/Dowell, Page, Anderson, Moses, Walker
Gulley/Dowell, Page, Obi, Anderson, Moses

Ford wants Page at the 2. Walker showed up in shape and is doing well.

Johnson has a lot more than academic baggage. He's had anger issues ever since his dad was killed. Hopefully he can keep it together.

I am curious to see if Walker's defense is good enough to bring Obi off the bench.

Gulley/Dowell, Page, Anderson, Moses, Walker
Gulley/Dowell, Page, Obi, Anderson, Moses

Page, Anderson, and Obibigsunglasses are about to find out how much harder life is without Eaton getting them wide open threes nearly every trip down the court. This is a big year for Keiton.

I think the idea that Franklin is going to be limited because he would match up with college power forwards is a little inaccurate. When he says he wants to play guard in college, I'm sure he means that he will be able to face the basket, dribble drive, shoot from distance, etc. He is going to play guard for OSU regardless. He may have to guard some bigger guys, but that isn't really an issue. In fact, being able to be guarded by bigger players actually will help guys like him out.

Down the stretch when OSU was playing so well James Anderson was their four. Did he play like a big? No, he just guarded guys like Taylor or Pattillo. When OSU goes four guards, that really is what it is.

This is a total shocker!!!! I would have never guessed that Johnson wouldn't be eligible?????? Moses plays the five, Obi plays the four, Franklin is the backup 4, Walker and Akol battle for backup 5. As for page playing the 2, that's pretty much what he played last year. OSU will struggle at the pg unless Dowell comes around.

This is a total shocker!!!! I would have never guessed that Johnson wouldn't be eligible?????? Moses plays the five, Obi plays the four, Franklin is the backup 4, Walker and Akol battle for backup 5. As for page playing the 2, that's pretty much what he played last year. OSU will struggle at the pg unless Dowell comes around.

Walker has already passed Akol.

Back