Not so great Michael Cobbins news

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Per Scout:

Through it all, Connecticut, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Memphis, Marquette, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Oklahoma and Florida have remained in touch.

Cobbins said that Memphis leads, keeps in contact the most and is recruiting him the hardest at this stage in the process. He’s hoping to trim the list up and set official visits in the near future.

Hopefully Capel can get the lead after the elite camp....

Damn, that is definitely not good news. Pastner is going to be a formidable foe for the Texas talent.

Last edited:
Man if Cobbins falls through where are the post players going to come from?

It would be a pretty good blow imo. I really want to land the kid. Hopefully Memphis will land Tarik Black soon and they won't be so heavy on Cobbins.

Terrence Jones and James Johnson.

BUT, Capel must have backed off a little. I spoke to MC right before he dislocated his knee and he said he loves Capel and the Sooners and that we were his favorite. Something is probably happening with a big name recruit that we dont know about.

I hope we never lifted our foot off the gas in the Julian Washburn race.

Any idea how many scholarships Memphis has open?

Terrence Jones and James Johnson.

BUT, Capel must have backed off a little. I spoke to MC right before he dislocated his knee and he said he loves Capel and the Sooners and that we were his favorite. Something is probably happening with a big name recruit that we dont know about.
Man I would love to get Terrance as he and Cam are 1a & 1b in my book right now but Terrance just seems like a long shot right now but who knows. I guess we might have to settle for James Johnson (must be a good sign I am saying settling for a 4 star, top 75 kid) and some random abd juco recruit.

“Right now, I would say that Oklahoma State, Missouri, Memphis, Marquette, Georgia Tech, OU (Oklahoma), Florida, Providence, Indiana, Arizona State, UConn are my schools. Those are a few but not in that order,” said Cobbins as he rattled off the list of schools vying for his commitment. Continuing on, Cobbins said, “Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Missouri and Memphis are my favorites.”

http://memphisroar.com/2009/08/cobbins-poised-for-comeback/

“Right now, I would say that Oklahoma State, Missouri, Memphis, Marquette, Georgia Tech, OU (Oklahoma), Florida, Providence, Indiana, Arizona State, UConn are my schools. Those are a few but not in that order,” said Cobbins as he rattled off the list of schools vying for his commitment. Continuing on, Cobbins said, “Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Missouri and Memphis are my favorites.”

Ouch.

I hope this is an indicator of OU going in a better direction than us missing out. I hope we don't end up holding the bag going after Harris and Jones. Kirk is also out their, but we need to improve athletically at that position and I don't know if he's that type of guy. It hurts that Tobi Oyediji is off the board because that's one less target to pursue. Justin Johnson out of Florida is another kid we have been recruiting, but I don't know where we stand with him.

Good thing for you aggies, because it looks like Tony Mitchell isn't looking to be a poke anymore.

The second bit of news is that Kansas State, to whom Mitchell was formerly committed, and Oklahoma State have been dropped from his school list at the present moment.

With offers from numerous schools, this leaves Arizona State and Georgetown as the frontrunners to land Mitchell.

He is also being pursued by DePaul, Marquette, Maryland, Texas, SMU and TCU.

I think you are looking at the reason some of us were going overboard about guys like Latavious Williams and Daniel Orton. OU has 2 Elite targets in Terrence Jones and Tobias Harris that we have to compete with UK, KU, and UNC for and then two second tier guys in Alex Kirk and James Johnson that we have to compete with ASU, AZ, OSU, Minn, and many other similar programs for. My hopes are things will happen fast after this camp and we're able to pick off atleast one prep big.

For those who love Juco recruits this is probably a great sign. If OU is to go the JUCO route, hopefully we can get a consistent contributor, something we haven't been able to get from those ranks in many moons. It is great news that we have Richard Peters in the fold for 2011, because that big man class looks worse than the 2010.

Last edited:
Big Time said in the Wade thread that he was down to Memphis and Miami so I think Black might be out as well.

BT could be right, but that's not what he said in a recent interview with James Hale.

On the other hand, recruits change their minds so often who the heck knows what the kid will decide when the time comes? lol

Back