Orlando Allen Predictions: June 19th

thebigabd

Reaction score
Orlando appears to be the starter at center, which is definitley concerning considering he only played sparingly last year and we know he is a project. He continues to be the hardest worker on the team and is losing more and more weight every month as we head into the summer.

Fitzgerald is too small and not ready (IMO), and an out of shape, raw Orlando passed Ryan Wright on the depth chart last year.

PG: TMG
SG: WW
SG: TC
PF: Gallon
C: Big O

I think you will see these 5 guys take the floor...

What do you predict for Orlando? Points? Rebounds? Blocks? Minutes? Role on team?

I will say 5.5 points, 5 or 6 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, and about 20 or so minutes per game. His role on the team will be to rebound, get garbage points, and be 6'11'' 260 and try to be a good defender in the post....

I definitely liked his skill set for the little that he did play last year. If he can tone up and work on his defensive rebounding, he will be all the OU needs him to be for next season.

I dont expect Orlando to be a starter. I think Gallon and Wright will start the most games of all the big men.

I dont expect Orlando to be a starter. I think Gallon and Wright will start the most games of all the big men.

Even though Wright got passed by a slow, out of shape, raw Orlando who never played D-1 ball? Wright played for a couple of years at UCLA, then redshirted at Oklahoma, and STILL got passed by Orlando.

Why do you think Wright will start more than Orlando? Pretty much nothing tells us that is the case.

OK, lets look at the facts.

Ryan Wright played 260 minutes last year and until Patillo came along was the only big man not named Griffin to play meaningful minutes.

Orlando Allen played a measley 87 minutes last year, and until the 5 minutes in the Syracuse game, every minute of that was during garbage time.

I keep hearing this about Orlando Allen "passing by" Ryan Wright at the end of last year. But in reality, in late February when Blake went out, Capel put Wright out there for 20+ minutes vs Texas and Kansas.....not Orlando. Neither Allen nor Wright touched the floor in the Big 12 tourney, then Allen played a whopping
11 minutes in the NCAA tourney to Wrights 6, again mostly in garbage time vs Morgan State.

Capel barely used any reserves in the NCAA tourney. If Allen passed Wright by, then I guess he passed Patillo by too because Pattillo only played 2 minutes vs Michigan and Syracuse, almost the exact same as Wright.

I love Allen's attitude and I hope he improves, but he has done nothing yet to show that he's ready to be a starting center in the Big 12. And 5 minutes vs Syracuse's (which I thought was a good move by Capel due to the widebodies the Cuse had) is not proof to me that Capel is going to start him. I believe Capel trusts Wright, and the fact that he played 20 minutes vs Texas and started against Kansas when Blake was out is evidence of that.

I believe Capel trusts Wright, and the fact that he played 20 minutes vs Texas and started against Kansas when Blake was out is evidence of that.

260 minutes vs. 87 minutes

Orlando Allen
PPG: 1.8
RPG: 0.8
FG%: 57.7
Blocks: 9
Minutes: 4.6
Games Play: 19

Ryan Wright
RPG: 2.1
FG%: 34% (yikes, considering the shots he takes)
Blocks: 11
Minutes: 8.1
Games Played: 32

Soooo, Wright plays in 13 more games and plays double the minutes, and puts up similar numbers. 2 more blocks in double the minutes and 13 more games? The same number of points per game? The lowest field goal percentage on the team with nary a jumper taken?

All of this from a guy who spent two years playing at UCLA, then redshirted at OU, and then played all year last year. How much better is he going to be?

I'm not saying Wright will improve more than Orlando. That's a different matter. There is no doubt Orlando has a bigger upside. He is taller, more raw and still has two years left. Orlando can improve in many ways. His body, experience, post moves, shooting, etc. The only way I see Wright improving is by being more comforable on the floor, the same way Longar improved.

But right now I think Capel trusts Wright more than Orlando. That could change, but for now thats just my opinion.

I also think Capel likes to give his seniors the best chance possible to finish out their careers strong. Players tend to play better when they know it's their last go-round. I won't be one bit surprised if Wright has a senior year similar to Taylor Griffins last year....a guy that many on ouinsider/rivals.com message boards wrote of as losing his starting spot to Cannon/Wright/Patillo/Allen this time last year.

I'm not saying Wright will improve more than Orlando. That's a different matter. There is no doubt Orlando has a bigger upside. He is taller, more raw and still has two years left. Orlando can improve in many ways. His body, experience, post moves, shooting, etc. The only way I see Wright improving is by being more comforable on the floor, the same way Longar improved.

But right now I think Capel trusts Wright more than Orlando. That could change, but for now thats just my opinion.

I also think Capel likes to give his seniors the best chance possible to finish out their careers strong. Players tend to play better when they know it's their last go-round. I won't be one bit surprised if Wright has a senior year similar to Taylor Griffins last year....a guy that many on ouinsider/rivals.com message boards wrote of as losing his starting spot to Cannon/Wright/Patillo/Allen this time last year.

He makes 34% of his layups and has been a D-1 player for 4 years, Capelfan. Also, Capel hasnt been here long enough for us to know that he likes to give his seniors a chance to finish their career strong. Taylor Griffin was the best option last year, and he obviously had more ability than any of the other guys. Had nothing to do with him being a senior, and everything to do with him being the better player.

Wright doesnt have a problem being comfortable, he has a problem being good.

He makes 34% of his layups and has been a D-1 player for 4 years, Capelfan. Also, Capel hasnt been here long enough for us to know that he likes to give his seniors a chance to finish their career strong. Taylor Griffin was the best option last year, and he obviously had more ability than any of the other guys. Had nothing to do with him being a senior, and everything to do with him being the better player.

Wright doesnt have a problem being comfortable, he has a problem being good.

Wright shot a ton of midrange jumpers last year (I don't think he made one!), so that could account for the poor %.

I am with Capelfan. I think it will be Gallon and Wright. I am hoping that Big O can be a capable back-up post of the bench.

I do think that Allen will play nearly as many minutes as Ryan, but Ryan will be THE GUY.

I also think that Wrights play down the stretch was far more about match-ups than it was about Orlando beating him out.

To me, Ryan was never allowed to get comfortable. Abd, he only averaged a couple minutes per during his two seasons at UCLA, and then he had to sit out. You are acting like the kid has played a bunch and has already peaked. Let him get comfortable.

To me, Ryan was never allowed to get comfortable. Abd, he only averaged a couple minutes per during his two seasons at UCLA, and then he had to sit out. You are acting like the kid has played a bunch and has already peaked. Let him get comfortable.

If he were good it would have been discovered at UCLA or OU last year. He is what he is, and I dont think he is the best option for OU next year.

Wright shot a ton of midrange jumpers last year (I don't think he made one!), so that could account for the poor %.

Your center shouldnt have the worst FG% on the entire team.

If he were good it would have been discovered at UCLA or OU last year. He is what he is, and I dont think he is the best option for OU next year.

Kinda hard when Blake and Taylor never got into foul trouble and never wanted to leave the game. We don't know what he is yet. Is he the player that pnkranger saw at the tip in club game last year that was aggressive on the glass and got to the foul line? He could be. We don't know yet.

Your center shouldnt have the worst FG% on the entire team.

I agree. I wasn't defending the %. Just saying that it wasn't all on missed lay-ups.

:chestram2:

260 minutes vs. 87 minutes

Orlando Allen
RPG: 0.8
FG%: 57.7
Blocks: 9
Minutes: 4.6
Games Play: 19

Ryan Wright
RPG: 2.1
FG%: 34% (yikes, considering the shots he takes)
Blocks: 11
Minutes: 8.1
Games Played: 32

Soooo, Wright plays in 13 more games and plays double the minutes, and puts up similar numbers. 2 more blocks in double the minutes and 13 more games? The same number of points per game? The lowest field goal percentage on the team with nary a jumper taken?

This argument is biased and unfair to Wright. You score easier (higher FG %) and more when playing garbage time. How many of Wright's 260 minutes were garbage time, and how many of Allen's 87 minutes were garbage time?

I'll side with Bigabd on this one. I really liked the way Allen played against Syracuse, especially with his timely blocked shots. I saw a better player out there in March than November. I would love for one of them to take their game to the next level and become a solid starter. I couldn't care less who it is, but my money is on the one with far less D-I experience who showed some improvement down the stretch.

Orlando averaging 5-6 points, 5-6 rebounds and 2-3 blocks would set him up for a nice senior season. You have to remember that sometimes "projects" do develop into quality players.

Since neither are offensive juggernauts, it will come down to defense and rebounding. If Orlando is working hard (as reported) and getting in really good shape, I would give him a slight edge.

Orlando is working hard this summer and I'm confident that we will see great things from him in the fall. He's got one of the best attitudes and all he needs is a little success to keep his confidence up, which leads to success on the court. He started killing it during workouts this spring in the weight room with Darby and has his body is transforming daily. He's working hard during individual workouts and his hands are getting better. Orlando is one of those kids who needs someone in his corner in order to excel. he doesn't want to let anyone down. He reminds me a bit of Longar when he started at OU. Everytime he messed up on the court, he was always watching the bench and hoping Sampson wouldn't take him out of the game. Once Capel came in and let him ride out some of his mistakes, his confidence increased and so did his game. I'm hopeful that all of Orlando's hard work will pay off and it will translate to great minutes on the court. We need an enthusiastic and positive guy on the floor who is all about the team rather than a "me" guy. Wishing Orlando the best. We are behind you big guy!

I hope Big O takes the position and shows us that he can really play. Don't count out young Fitz just yet. Whose saying he's too small? BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Orlando is working hard this summer and I'm confident that we will see great things from him in the fall. He's got one of the best attitudes and all he needs is a little success to keep his confidence up, which leads to success on the court. He started killing it during workouts this spring in the weight room with Darby and has his body is transforming daily. He's working hard during individual workouts and his hands are getting better. Orlando is one of those kids who needs someone in his corner in order to excel. he doesn't want to let anyone down. He reminds me a bit of Longar when he started at OU. Everytime he messed up on the court, he was always watching the bench and hoping Sampson wouldn't take him out of the game. Once Capel came in and let him ride out some of his mistakes, his confidence increased and so did his game. I'm hopeful that all of Orlando's hard work will pay off and it will translate to great minutes on the court. We need an enthusiastic and positive guy on the floor who is all about the team rather than a "me" guy. Wishing Orlando the best. We are behind you big guy!

Nice post, jones. I am mentioned several times that Orlando is my favorite player on the team. I just love his attitude and his love of being a Sooner.

The good news with Big O is that we have him for two more years. I think that is plenty of time for him to reach his potential as a player (which I think is a defense enforcer that can also clean up on the glass and get some big put backs).

If Allen is the starter for OU then I seriously lower my expectations for OU next year.

I would go with Wright over Allen. If Allen is the guy I would rather go with 4 guards and Tiny than have Allen the 5th starter.

Great kid, even better team player. That doesn't mean he should play.

If Allen is the starter for OU then I seriously lower my expectations for OU next year.

I would go with Wright over Allen. If Allen is the guy I would rather go with 4 guards and Tiny than have Allen the 5th starter.

Great kid, even better team player. That doesn't mean he should play.

You have been hatin on the kid for over a year now. I am not saying that Orlando is an all-star, but he is a better player than you are giving him credit for. Ask his teammates. Ask people watching the pick-up. Ask his coaches. I know that you know basketball (particularly Tulsa-area basketball) but you might just be wrong on this one, bud.

Back