OSU signs Jarred Shaw on first day of signing period

thebigabd

Reaction score
Jarred Shaw (6'10'' 210) has signed with Oklahoma State. He is the 7th player to sign with OSU in the 2009 class.

ESPN Evaluation

Jarred is long and full of potential. He is a solid athlete and catches your eye immediately due to his size and length. He is very raw but improving. Offensively he is mostly limited to put backs, tip ins and dump offs. He has begun to develop some back to the basket moves and has a fairly effective jump hook. He runs the court decently and only needs to improve his effort in order to be a factor in transition. He is a solid shot blocker and can improve with more effort. He tends to be lazy defensively but could be very good if he made defense more of a priority. Jarred is talented and a fantastic prospect. If the light goes on he could be one of those kids that 3 years from now everyone is wondering where he came from. It is mostly up to Jarred.

He averaged 13pts and 10rbs this year at 4A Carter. He had a 40pt game this year. He's a guy who's stock has rose and he probably was underated because he's a qualification risk. It's interesting that he was rated higer than the kid from Georgia.

He averaged 13pts and 10rbs this year at 4A Carter. He had a 40pt game this year. He's a guy who's stock has rose and he probably was underated because he's a qualification risk. It's interesting that he was rated higer than the kid from Georgia.

Travis Ford said today that he is a possible redshirt candidate and that he wont contribute as a freshman. He is a guy Ford is hoping can play 2-3 years down the road.

Travis Ford said today that he is a possible redshirt candidate and that he wont contribute as a freshman. He is a guy Ford is hoping can play 2-3 years down the road.

Now that's really strange. Malcoln Kirkland leaves, and they also lose Anthony Brown. Teeng Akol makes Frans Stein and Aaron Pettway look all big12. That means that OSU will have to depend on the kid from Georgia to be a major contributor. Seems as if OSU is looking to play more small ball this year. This would mean they would actually get smaller as a team, becasue they lose two bigs and are only getting 1 in return.

Now that's really strange. Malcoln Kirkland leaves, and they also lose Anthony Brown. Teeng Akol makes Frans Stein and Aaron Pettway look all big12. That means that OSU will have to depend on the kid from Georgia to be a major contributor. Seems as if OSU is looking to play more small ball this year. This would mean they would actually get smaller as a team, becasue they lose two bigs and are only getting 1 in return.

"He’s a kid we kept hearing about and kept hearing about, and then Butch (Pierre, an OSU assistant) and I went down to see him play, and I loved him,” Cowboys coach Travis Ford said. "He really runs the court. He has a great attitude. A great body. He’s 6-foot-10, but it’s not a lumbering 6-foot-10.”

Ford said Shaw, the Defensive Player of the Year in his district, has not yet qualified academically and is not expected to be an immediate impact player even if he does get eligible in time.

"We wanted him because of what we see his upside being,” Ford said. "Do we see him coming in and playing as a freshman? No. Is he a redshirt candidate? Possibly. But he’s somebody I think in three years, if we hadn’t got him, we would have said, ‘Dadgum, why didn’t we take him?’ ”

http://www.newsok.com/jarred-shaw-signs-osu-letter/article/3361851?custom_click=lead_story_title

Ford thinks that Akol's learning curve is much quicker than Kirkland. He had the choice between these two and went with Akol. Ford thinks very highly of Torin Walker. They think he will play as a Freshman.

We played with mostly two posts this past season with Moses and Brown. Now it will be Moses, Walker with Akol getting a couple here and there a la Kirkland. We still don't know what a guy like Roger Franklin is going to do. Or a guy like Karron Johnson who will be ready mid year.

Ford thinks that Akol's learning curve is much quicker than Kirkland. He had the choice between these two and went with Akol. Ford thinks very highly of Torin Walker. They think he will play as a Freshman.

We played with mostly two posts this past season with Moses and Brown. Now it will be Moses, Walker with Akol getting a couple here and there a la Kirkland. We still don't know what a guy like Roger Franklin is going to do. Or a guy like Karron Johnson who will be ready mid year.

Still suit up for them do ya? :ford

Ford thinks that Akol's learning curve is much quicker than Kirkland? He had the choice between these two and went with Akol. Ford thinks very highly of Torin Walker. They think he will play as a Freshman.

You seriously don't believe that. I hope you don't believe that about Akol either. If his curve were higher than Kirkland's he would have been seeing more court by season's end ala BigO. I think he was less thuggier than Kirkland.

Before 1995 I wore Crimson.

I don't believe that for a second. It is all puke orange out in Enid country isn't it? I have a couple of buddies that went out there to work last summer and they said it reaked of aggie.

You seriously don't believe that. I hope you don't believe that about Akol either. If his curve were higher than Kirkland's he would have been seeing more court by season's end ala BigO. I think he was less thuggier than Kirkland.

The expectation regarding K. Johnson is that he won't be eligible the first semester. So at this point OSU is holding his spot.

Ford had his choice to keep Kirkland or Akol. He chose Akol. He also said that he could see Akol developing nicely. The NCAA allowed teams to practice for awhile after the season was over. Akol was the focus of OSU's coaches.

OSU was playing for their lives the last 12 games of the season. There was rarely a situation to put Akol in. If Ford thought that Kirkland would be better for the program he would not have told him to transfer.

Just from seeing this situation with kids who don't qualify, it never works out that way. Sitting out of school never helps a kid pass a test score. Best thing for him is to go Juco and leave the Prep schools alone. Butter Hobson was a kid OU and OSU recruited about 5 years ago. He went to three different prep schools and played Juco ball and never made it. I don't know if Johnson is the next Butter, but It would be to his advantage to get on a court and get in a school.

As for Akol vs. Kirkland, I would have sent Kirkland packing too. He's a thug. He doesn't get it. Akol is a bad basketball player, but just from observing his sideline mannerisms, he seems to get it more. The natural comparison would be Longar. Longar didn't get much action his first two years at OU, but potential was able to be seen from afar. I personally don't see that potential with Akol. It will be apparent after the first 5 games or so if he plays significant minutes. i personally think Travis Ford prefers small ball and will continue to play a 4 guard lineup and use Franklin in the four spot.

Last edited:
The expectation regarding K. Johnson is that he won't be eligible the first semester. So at this point OSU is holding his spot.

Ford had his choice to keep Kirkland or Akol. He chose Akol. He also said that he could see Akol developing nicely. The NCAA allowed teams to practice for awhile after the season was over. Akol was the focus of OSU's coaches.

OSU was playing for their lives the last 12 games of the season. There was rarely a situation to put Akol in. If Ford thought that Kirkland would be better for the program he would not have told him to transfer.

Shut up, Dignon.

DM and BigTime know far more about what's best for the OSU program than either you or especially Travis Ford.

;)

:ford:ford:ford

I don't believe that for a second. It is all puke orange out in Enid country isn't it? I have a couple of buddies that went out there to work last summer and they said it reaked of aggie.

No. It's about 60-40 for OSU.

I cried when OU lost to Miami in the Orange Bowl and again when they lost to Kansas. Lydell Carr worked for my dad in the summers and Switzer told my dad to "keep him strong" so Lydell built a fence out of railroad ties by hand.

When I was picking Colleges my girlfriend (now wife), came in first, Kansas came in second, OU third.

No. It's about 60-40 for OSU.

I cried when OU lost to Miami in the Orange Bowl and again when they lost to Kansas. Lydell Carr worked for my dad in the summers and Switzer told my dad to "keep him strong" so Lydell built a fence out of railroad ties by hand.

When I was picking Colleges my girlfriend (now wife), came in first, Kansas came in second, OU third.

Kansas second? Gross.

Shut up, Dignon.

DM and BigTime know far more about what's best for the OSU program than either you or especially Travis Ford.

;)

It's not a bad thing that Ford likes smurf ball. You guys should embrace it.

Shut up, Dignon.

;)

Hi Jeffrey. I didn't really offer up any advise to Ford, but thanks.

Back