OSU signs Jarred Shaw on first day of signing period

You take Teeng Akol because of athletic ability and size alone. Kirkland was horrendous.

You take Teeng Akol because of athletic ability and size alone. Kirkland was horrendous.

Yeah, Akol in High School (from nothing but rivals.com videos) has shown some offensive skills, hitting jump shots, hook shots, etc...

He's just freakishly skinny, and seriously has the skinniest ankles I've ever seen on a human being. If he could ever put on some pounds and some strength, he'd be worth a scholarship.

He came into the Texas game in Austin for a couple of minutes, and had to guard Pittman for a bit. Boy, oh, boy.

Yeah, Akol in High School (from nothing but rivals.com videos) has shown some offensive skills, hitting jump shots, hook shots, etc...

He's just freakishly skinny, and seriously has the skinniest ankles I've ever seen on a human being. If he could ever put on some pounds and some strength, he'd be worth a scholarship.

He came into the Texas game in Austin for a couple of minutes, and had to guard Pittman for a bit. Boy, oh, boy.

Same could be said for Pettway. You just never know. Most guys can look pretty good against inferior competition.

Same could be said for Pettway. You just never know. Most guys can look pretty good against inferior competition.

Not really.

Pettway averaged less than 10 points a game in JUCO, while Akol averaged 20 something a game in high school.

Pettway was a physical specimen that never played organized basketball until he hit a big growth spurt.

Pettway's actually managed a pretty good career overseas, I guess he's not much besides a dunker and a shot blocker, and has turned into a fan favorite.

EDIT - But, yeah, you're right on about big guys. Most of them never turn out to be much, but you should always keep around 7 footers just in case that light clicks for em.

Not really.

Pettway averaged less than 10 points a game in JUCO, while Akol averaged 20 something a game in high school.

Pettway was a physical specimen that never played organized basketball until he hit a big growth spurt.

Pettway's actually managed a pretty good career overseas, I guess he's not much besides a dunker and a shot blocker, and has turned into a fan favorite.

EDIT - But, yeah, you're right on about big guys. Most of them never turn out to be much, but you should always keep around 7 footers just in case that light clicks for em.

That's right! I think what I remember is that he got some pretty glowing practice reports from Cowboy fans or something over on the gopokes board. He didn't play high school ball at all right?

That's right! I think what I remember is that he got some pretty glowing practice reports from Cowboy fans or something over on the gopokes board. He didn't play high school ball at all right?

If I remember right, he didn't. I think he went into the Air Force or Navy, or some sort of service, and went from like 6'2" to 6'11" over a couple of years. And then by the time he got to OSU he was already 24 or so.

It's a weird memory, but I remember Pettway getting some garbage minutes against some UT-Arlington or something, and having the most jaw dropping missed dunk ever. His OSU career in a nutshell. :ez-laugh:

Just from seeing this situation with kids who don't qualify, it never works out that way. Sitting out of school never helps a kid pass a test score. Best thing for him is to go Juco and leave the Prep schools alone. Butter Hobson was a kid OU and OSU recruited about 5 years ago. He went to three different prep schools and played Juco ball and never made it. I don't know if Johnson is the next Butter, but It would be to his advantage to get on a court and get in a school.

As for Akol vs. Kirkland, I would have sent Kirkland packing too. He's a thug. He doesn't get it. Akol is a bad basketball player, but just from observing his sideline mannerisms, he seems to get it more. The natural comparison would be Longar. Longar didn't get much action his first two years at OU, but potential was able to be seen from afar. I personally don't see that potential with Akol. It will be apparent after the first 5 games or so if he plays significant minutes. i personally think Travis Ford prefers small ball and will continue to play a 4 guard lineup and use Franklin in the four spot.

Actually agree with DM here, good points. Especially about Kirkland - I'm glad he's gone.

Ford will probably use this next season to see if Akol can play at this level, see if he progresses any.

Back