OT: Football Talk

SoonerBounce13

Reaction score
Sure, my bad. And here I thought half the team was injured and that we have blown tons of fourth quarter leads since he took over. Guess I imagined that.
How many 4th quarter leads did Riley blow?

And lol at blaming these injuries on the strength and conditioning program

I truly thought I had seen your most ridiculous take. But picking Wiley over Schmidt is on a whole other level. Wow

How many 4th quarter leads did Riley blow?

And lol at blaming these injuries on the strength and conditioning program

I truly thought I had seen your most ridiculous take. But picking Wiley over Schmidt is on a whole other level. Wow
Apparently you’re too clueless to read. I didn’t say anything positive about the former strength coach. As for Riley, he lost 10 games in 5 years. In some of those, we never had a lead. My guess is that Brent blew more fourth quarter leads in his first two years than Lincoln did in five seasons. And I know for sure he’s the only coach I’ve ever seen get penalized in two consecutive games on fourth quarter drives in which the other team took the lead.

Apparently you’re too clueless to read. I didn’t say anything positive about the former strength coach. As for Riley, he lost 10 games in 5 years. In some of those, we never had a lead. My guess is that Brent blew more fourth quarter leads in his first two years than Lincoln did in five seasons. And I know for sure he’s the only coach I’ve ever seen get penalized in two consecutive games on fourth quarter drives in which the other team took the lead.
The programs that muleshoe and BV were handed were two wildly different circumstances. Surely you know this?

The programs that muleshoe and BV were handed were two wildly different circumstances. Surely you know this?
I mean, Brent inherited a program that had not lost more than two games in years, had 6 future NFL players on offense in his first year, and had made the playoff in 3 of 5 years under his predecessor. Riley inherited a strong program, no doubt, but his offense was a main reason it was in good shape. I mean, think how bad the offense was before Riley was hired as OC. For Stoops to fire one of his favorite former players tells you all you need to know. Our program was heading the wrong way till that change.

Now for all of you who can’t stand to hear anything remotely positive about Riley, please pay attention to this part. I don’t think Riley was an especially good head coach. He was great at one thing and pretty bad at everything else. Which is exactly how I feel about Brent. They are both guys who should be coordinators. The difference I see so far is that Riley’s offense while he was here was truly elite. Historically great, both in talent and production. Brent’s defense, on the other hand, is good but not great, let alone elite. Maybe he can get it there, but it took Riley almost no time to get his offense to that level.

I mean, Brent inherited a program that had not lost more than two games in years, had 6 future NFL players on offense in his first year, and had made the playoff in 3 of 5 years under his predecessor. Riley inherited a strong program, no doubt, but his offense was a main reason it was in good shape. I mean, think how bad the offense was before Riley was hired as OC. For Stoops to fire one of his favorite former players tells you all you need to know. Our program was heading the wrong way till that change.

Now for all of you who can’t stand to hear anything remotely positive about Riley, please pay attention to this part. I don’t think Riley was an especially good head coach. He was great at one thing and pretty bad at everything else. Which is exactly how I feel about Brent. They are both guys who should be coordinators. The difference I see so far is that Riley’s offense while he was here was truly elite. Historically great, both in talent and production. Brent’s defense, on the other hand, is good but not great, let alone elite. Maybe he can get it there, but it took Riley almost no time to get his offense to that level.

Riley walked into an infinitely better situation than Venables. The team was loaded when he took over and completely gutted by his final year outside of a generational QB...who he took with him. The team got worse every single year without fail and looked terrible with Rattler, who is an NFL QB. I don't know why you keep babbling on about this. At least you've finally toned down a bit about singing his praises while he loses to Minnesota and is trending toward being fired.

Riley walked into an infinitely better situation than Venables. The team was loaded when he took over and completely gutted by his final year outside of a generational QB...who he took with him. The team got worse every single year without fail and looked terrible with Rattler, who is an NFL QB. I don't know why you keep babbling on about this. At least you've finally toned down a bit about singing his praises while he loses to Minnesota and is trending toward being fired.
I’ve never sung his praises. I said he wasn’t a particularly good coach. I just think Brent is even worse. And the “gutted” comment is laughable. He left Brent an NFL player at RB, WR, TE/HB, and three NFL offensive linemen. Compare that to the current roster that Brent has had three years to assemble. How many pros are on our current offense? And even defensively, the two guys who came into the season with the most hype are guys who Brent inherited.

I’ve never sung his praises. I said he wasn’t a particularly good coach. I just think Brent is even worse. And the “gutted” comment is laughable. He left Brent an NFL player at RB, WR, TE/HB, and three NFL offensive linemen. Compare that to the current roster that Brent has had three years to assemble. How many pros are on our current offense? And even defensively, the two guys who came into the season with the most hype are guys who Brent inherited.
lol just stop. Does it not get tiring always being the contrarian?

Yeah but would they be considered NFL players if Riley was still here? They had a habit of recruiting guys who looked great early in their career & seemingly got worse every year.

Yeah but would they be considered NFL players if Riley was still here? They had a habit of recruiting guys who looked great early in their career & seemingly got worse every year.
Fair question on the two defensive guys. No denying that Brent is a good defensive coach. But there are lots of good/great coordinators who don't make good head coaches. Given how badly our offensive has cratered, and Brent's game management issues, our defense would have to become historically great for us to have a chance to make any real headway.

one very annoying part of visiting this board is that there's so much more arguing than there is legit information, which is what i come here hoping for. could just be me being ridiculous but i wish people would stop overwhelming this board with back/forth jabs at each other :(. not referring to anyone in particular.

Fair question on the two defensive guys. No denying that Brent is a good defensive coach. But there are lots of good/great coordinators who don't make good head coaches. Given how badly our offensive has cratered, and Brent's game management issues, our defense would have to become historically great for us to have a chance to make any real headway.
I agree with that. I think BV has struggled with hiring a good staff. Some are great, but a few are pretty bad. I can't blame him for this crazy injury bug though.

I agree with that. I think BV has struggled with hiring a good staff. Some are great, but a few are pretty bad. I can't blame him for this crazy injury bug though.
Yeah, he really needs to branch out beyond former OU players or people he has ties to. I will always be mad he didn't try to hire the KU OC when Lebby left. That dude is awesome, and KU is struggling without him. Instead, Brent seemed to not even do a legit search and just promoted a couple guys who are clearly not getting it done. Since Brent isn't an offensive mind, he has to find the best people for all of the offensive jobs.

Yeah, he really needs to branch out beyond former OU players or people he has ties to. I will always be mad he didn't try to hire the KU OC when Lebby left. That dude is awesome, and KU is struggling without him. Instead, Brent seemed to not even do a legit search and just promoted a couple guys who are clearly not getting it done. Since Brent isn't an offensive mind, he has to find the best people for all of the offensive jobs.
Too early to draw this conclusion. The OC position was filled from within to keep JA. Sadly, that appears to be a massive mistake. I didn't like settling for OU guys either. But that doesn't mean it won't work. I don't think a lot of the offensive failings this year have necessarily been on LIttrell. Historically, Littrell's offensives have been much more explosive than we have seen (Littrell article). It is hard to evaluate with the injuries and underperforming QB (which obviously SL has some stake in as well).

Figured instead of mucking up other threads with football talk, let's put it here! We can argue coaches who are better or worse, how bad Seth Littrell has been, or even discuss the Red River Rivalry (Shootout) coming up!

Who all is going and who all is watching it on TV while smoking a brisket flat, 6-pack of beer, and air conditioning? (Technically windows will be open in the house, bc I live in MD and it's beautiful here right now.

If you are in FL, please stay safe.

I'm not feeling great about the game due to still likely having our top 5 receivers out.

However, I think it COULD be a close game. I think our defense in better this year and Texas' offense is not as good as last year.
So IF our offense can score 30 points, we have a great chance of victory. 24 points it will come down to the last drive. 21 points, likely a loss.

I expect a lot of QB run

Too early to draw this conclusion. The OC position was filled from within to keep JA. Sadly, that appears to be a massive mistake. I didn't like settling for OU guys either. But that doesn't mean it won't work. I don't think a lot of the offensive failings this year have necessarily been on LIttrell. Historically, Littrell's offensives have been much more explosive than we have seen (Littrell article). It is hard to evaluate with the injuries and underperforming QB (which obviously SL has some stake in as well).
How's it too early? Lebby was bad & Littrell is worse. You just said OC was filled from within and it was a mistake. Finley is also bad.

Have a good feeling. Not 💯 sold on Texas. Wish we had a wr difference maker but we can overcome it with our defense

Back