OU/OSU/Tulsa --- Local Players

thebigabd

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head mostly, but it seems like local "stars" go to OU and not the other schools. Manek, Young, Griffin.

OSU got Keiton Page, who was never a star but a nice player. Trying to think of modern history here. If you look back to the 80s to present, it seems like all the "best" talent in the talent goes to OU. I think Joe Atkins was local, but not 100% sure.

TU had a nice run of players who were local in the 90's with Shea Seals, Dante Swanson, Antonio Reed, Eric Coley, and a few others that led them through their golden period.

Tulsa
Tulsa currently only has 1 Oklahoma player on roster. DaQuon Jefferies from Edmond, who came to TU via a Texas juco. Nice player for them though.

OSU
OSU currently has two scholarship players from Oklahoma. Mitch Solomon from Bixby, and Lindy Waters from Norman.

OU
OU currently has 4 scholarship players on roster from Oklahoma. Trae Young from Norman, Kristian Doolittle from Edmond, Brady Manek from Harrah, and Ty Lazenby from Glencoe.

Joe Adkins was from John Marshall. Kelvin wanted him BAD.

Obi Muonelo went to McGuinness, as did Terrence Crawford. All were contributors for the Aggies.

There was also that nut from Douglass who flamed out and sued Ford for promises not kept. Stevie Clark....is that right?

OU has done better than the other schools. Kelvin probably had the most difficult time. He did get Bookout, Ryan Humphries and Deangelo Alexander. However the last 2 transferred away from OU.

OSU two stars were Byron Houston and Richard Dumas. Dumas was a Leonard Hamilton recruit I don't remember exactly who recruited Houston. Adkins was highly recruited. Eddie did a decent job with the McGuinness guys and then Chianti Roberts. Paul Hanson had some players with Leroy Combs, Matt Clark, Joe Atkinson etc. Also at some point they had Royce Jeffries and a few other nice players from the metro area.

A bunch of guys went out of state. Kelvin had the most trouble with that issue but even Billy lost a few. Hopgood to Louisville, Pritchard and Maddux to KU.

Stevie Clark was a huge recruit for Ford but OU had pulled their offer from him.

I've often wondered if someone could get all of the Oklahoma players on one team, could you be high D1 competitive?

Off the top of my head this year you could have:

Guards - Young, Shake Milton
Forwards - Doolittle, Manek
Center - Shaq Morris

Who am I leaving out? that's a pretty competitive team there. Also could have Landrum, Chaquois and Lazenby off the bench.

In-state players who played in the NBA that went to OU:

OU - Alvin Adams, Wayman Tisdale, Anthony Bowie, Stacey King, Jeff Webster, Brent Price, Ryan Humphrey, Blake Griffin, and soon-to-be Trae Young. I'm not sure where Gar Heard or Clifford Ray were from.

For OSU, the only one I'm aware of is Byron Houston, but I'm not sure where guys like Big Country or Jon Starks grew up. Either way, I'm positive OSU does not possess the tradition of in-state quality talent that OU has.

Joe Adkins was from John Marshall. Kelvin wanted him BAD.

Obi Muonelo went to McGuinness, as did Terrence Crawford. All were contributors for the Aggies.

There was also that nut from Douglass who flamed out and sued Ford for promises not kept. Stevie Clark....is that right?

Muonelo went to Edmond Santa Fe with Udoh.

Big Country was from Gans.

John Starks was born and raised in Tulsa. Went to Central. The quintessential late bloomer.

Don't forget Ryan Spangler and Jordan Woodard from our most recent Final Four team. Also, one of my favorites was Ryan Minor. All were Okies.

I've often wondered if someone could get all of the Oklahoma players on one team, could you be high D1 competitive?

Off the top of my head this year you could have:

Guards - Young, Shake Milton
Forwards - Doolittle, Manek
Center - Shaq Morris

Who am I leaving out? that's a pretty competitive team there. Also could have Landrum, Chaquois and Lazenby off the bench.

This year that would look like this.... and yes, you'd be highly competitive.

PG: Trae Young/Chauncey Collins
SG: Shake Milton/Lindy Waters
SF: Kristian Doolittle/Daquon Jefferies
PF: Brady Manek/Ethan Chargois
C: Shaq Morris/Mitchell Solomon

All Oklahoma team?

PG: Trae Young
SG: Shea Seals?
SF: Ryan Minor?
PF: Wayman Tisdale
C: Blake Griffin

2nd team:

PG: ?
SG: ?
SF: ?
PF: ?
C: Bryant Reeves

Last edited:
All Oklahoma team?

SF: Ryan Minor?

2nd team:

SF: ?
PF: ?

I would have to start Alvan Adams..... Putnam City. Maybe in place of Ryan Minor. You younger guys have no idea how good he was. Both in college and the pros.

I'm just thrilled when somebody spells it Alvan.

Game 1: 34 and 28, the latter of which still stands in the books.

I'm just thrilled when somebody spells it Alvan.

Game 1: 34 and 28, the latter of which still stands in the books.

I was at that game. Unbelievable game for a true freshman in his first game. He was a man among boys.

SF: Alvan Adams

2nd team:

SF: Ryan Minor
PF: Byron Houston

Lee Mayberry and Mark Price would be better than Shea Seals, IMO.

If you are looking to put together an all-time (or 1st team / 2nd team) state of Oklahoma hoops roster, I would use this link as a guide. It shows the 39 players from the state who played in the NBA.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/high_schools.cgi?country=US&state=OK

Two notable omissions from that list of 39 above who did not play in the NBA (and I'm sure there are more): (previously mentioned) Ryan Minor and Steve Hale.

surprised it took awhile for King to be mentioned. Brent Price was pretty good as well...so was Ryan Minor...dude was a rnd 1 pick after his Jr year..stayed for baseball though.

Back