PF: Wayman Tisdale
C: Blake Griffin

2nd team:

PG: ?
SG: ?
SF: ?
PF: ?
C: Bryant Reeves

The big PF who went to Duke would have to be on that team. Name is slipping my mind.

The big PF who went to Duke would have to be on that team. Name is slipping my mind.

Sheldon Williams out of Midwest City, but I thought this thread was about Okies who played their college ball in-state.

This year that would look like this.... and yes, you'd be highly competitive.

PG: Trae Young/Chauncey Collins
SG: Shake Milton/Lindy Waters
SF: Kristian Doolittle/Daquon Jefferies
PF: Brady Manek/Ethan Chargois
C: Shaq Morris/Mitchell Solomon

Would you not include Allonzo Trier in the local kids group?

If you're including players from Oklahoma that played out of state, I feel compelled to mention a couple of older guys. Jim "Bad News" Barnes played his HS ball in Stillwater before eventually playing at Texas Western (UTEP now). He was the #1 player selected in the 1964 NBA draft. Winford Boynes played at Capitol Hill and played on the San Francisco team along with Bill Cartwright. One year they were 29-0 before being upset in the NCAA tournament. I remember he scored 40 points in an earlier NCAA tourney game. He was picked 13th in the NBA draft after his junior year.

Boynes was a much better player than Shea Seals IMHO. He was really smooth.

Sheldon Williams out of Midwest City, but I thought this thread was about Okies who played their college ball in-state.

If we're including those that went elsewhere, Josh Richardson has been lighting it up this month.

Brent transferred back to OU and had 61 against Loyola Marymount. He also played in the league a long time. Had Brent come to OU the same year as Wayman we would have won a title most likely.

Anthony Bowie was also in that class and was a late bloomer. He wound up being a great player.

I was mostly talking about highly recruited guys.

I have to mention Lester Lane. He was named the coach for the Sooners early in 1973, but died of a heart attack in a pickup game in the spring of '73, so he never even coached a practice. He was just 41 years old.

He came out of Purcell and played basketball, football, and was a pole vaulter on the track team. He was good enough to be a starting DB in the 50's playing for Bud Wilkinson. In basketball he set a single season scoring record that wasn't broken for 11 years. He also played on the gold medal Olympic team in 1960.

His death caused OU to knee jerk and name assistant Jack Ramsey as the next coach. That ticked off Denny Price and caused a rift .... probably a factor why his sons Mark and Brent didn't consider OU out of HS. I digress.....

yes. and brent price went to South Carolina and matt went to like fairleigh dickinson or somesuch.
he transfer to OU then? dude went off on Loyola MM..

nvermnd saw vb's post..

no, you guys are talking about Mark Price. He played for Georgia Tech. Brent was quite a few years younger. Matt was the middle child. Mark was a point guard in the NBA by the time Brent was in college.

And it was Appalachian State that Matt attended.

Mark was born in '64 and HS class of 82. He went to Ga Tech and played for the Cavs.
Matt was born in '66 and HS class of 84 (with me). He played for Appalachian State for like one year.
Brent was born in '68 and HS class of 86. He went to SoCar then OU and played for the Bullets then the Rockets.

all went to Enid High.

Wayman and Mark played together on Johnny Williams' OKC Rams AAU team.

Last edited:
Garfield Heard was from Georgia. Clifford Ray was from South Carolina.
Another great former OU basketball star who I never see mentioned here is Don Schwall who was All-Big 8 in 1957. I think he once scored over 40 points in a game. He was 6-8. He was born in Pennsylvania, but I don't know if he grew up there or not.
Schwall became a major league pitcher with the Red Sox and was chosen AL Rookie of the Year in 1961 over Carl Yastrzemski. He also pitched for the Pirates and Braves. He is still living and is 81 years old.

I am not the master of the lists, but I was trying to come up with the best list of local Oklahoma players who played for Oklahoma college teams.

PG: Trae Young
SG: Shea Seals?
SF: Alvan Adams
PF: Wayman Tisdale
C: Blake Griffin

2nd team:

PG: ?
SG: ?
SF: Ryan Minor
PF: Byron Houston
C: Bryant Reeves

All Oklahoma teams

1st Team

PG: Trae
SG: B. Price
F: Tisdale
F: Griffin
C: Adams

2nd Team

PG: Terry Evans
SG: Kennedy
F: Minor
F: Webster
C: King

Then there’s Bo Overton, Anthony Bowie, Kermit Holmes, Kevin Bookout, R.Humphrey, Ebi Ere and of course who could forget Dean Blevins.

Here's some to consider. Jeff Webster, Joe Adkins, Bo Overton, Chianti Roberts, Caleb Green(ORU), Terry Evans, Stacey King, Darryl Kennedy, Kermit Holmes, and Ebi Ere

no, you guys are talking about Mark Price. He played for Georgia Tech. Brent was quite a few years younger. Matt was the middle child. Mark was a point guard in the NBA by the time Brent was in college.

And it was Appalachian State that Matt attended.

Mark was born in '64 and HS class of 82. He went to Ga Tech and played for the Cavs.
Matt was born in '66 and HS class of 84 (with me). He played for Appalachian State for like one year.
Brent was born in '68 and HS class of 86. He went to SoCar then OU and played for the Bullets then the Rockets.

all went to Enid High.

Wayman and Mark played together on Johnny Williams' OKC Rams AAU team.

What you say is correct but Brent did go to SC then transferred back to OU. He also played in the league a long time but not as well as Mark.

Boynes was great and Barnes obviously was good to be the top draft pick.

Choo Kennedy is very underrated at OU. He was a medium recruit.

I can't remember the name of the guy from OKC who everybody said was the best to play but couldn't stay in high school much less college. It will come to me later.

I know what brent did. I went to school and church with all of them.

I can't remember the name of the guy from OKC who everybody said was the best to play but couldn't stay in high school much less college. It will come to me later.

Keith Clark?

Back