our schedule

pnkranger

Reaction score
Anyone think this team might have benefited from having a handful of creampuffs to start the season?

@VCU
Houston (neutral site)
San Diego (neutral site)

Those are three decent teams from good conferences that have the athleticism and experience to stick with anyone when the shots are falling. Would we be much farther along if we had a chance to romp over a couple of patsies and build some offensive and defensive team chemistry?

Or is this a good trial by fire that's going to temper us for conference season?

I don't like the schedule at all. We are playing less games than last year (including less home games).

Count me in the camp that thinks this team gets it turned around by conference play. The problem is in the fact that the team could easily only win 7 or 8 games in the nonconference. That puts an awful lot of pressure to put up a gaudy conference record in a tough Big 12 (like 11-5) in order to make the dance.

With our schedule we really have to get it together quickly. However, if we do it will pay off.

Of those three teams I think two could make the dance. I'm not so sure these teams are cream puffs. I'm glad we played them because we were exposed. We now know what are deficiencies are. We can score the basketball with no problem. I think our biggest problem right now is effort and want to. The defense is horrible. It got a little better in the second half of the nicky state game. However, this team must rebound better on both ends of the floor and play much better defense. I think wednesday night this team will give a better account of itself. So, I'm glad that we've had the early season adversity. It will make us stronger. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:OU-logo:

This hasn't been a difficult schedule for a program like OU.
The team has just played like crap.

Yeah we should have a schedule like this every year in my opinion. If we fix our defense and start playing with effort then maybe we can look back on these losses as a learning experience. If not we may be in for a long season.

Maybe not. But before the season began, I recall that a number of posters on this board thought OU could easily lose to VCU and Houston. Turns out they were right. VCU at home and Houston at a neutral site are far from the cupcakes we usually play in the early portion of our season.

Having said that, I'm hoping a tougher non-conference schedule will prepare this young team for what is shaping up to be a more difficult Big 12 conference than everyone first thought. There doesn't appear to be any pushovers among the top ten or so teams, especially on their home floor.

San Diego is not better than Portland or Gonzaga, so they are currently third in the picking order of the WCC...they are not getting a bid. Houston will not get in unless they win the Conference USA tourney. VCU could get an at large if they keep it together and then have a strong conference regular season record.

I don't mind the schedule except the trip to Alaska, someone said a while back that we were obligated to go or whatnot but if I'm Capel I pay to get out of it. What a waste of time and resources to play three inferior opponents (in terms of program prestige). I really do think if we are on the bubble, the past week is what is going to define our chances of getting in.

Maybe not. But before the season began, I recall that a number of posters on this board thought OU could easily lose to VCU and Houston. Turns out they were right. VCU at home and Houston at a neutral site are far from the cupcakes we usually play in the early portion of our season.

Houston and San Diego aren't cupcakes in the Nicholls State sense but they are games OU should win double digits. In Alaska, San Diego lost by over 30 to Washington St who's picked in the lower half of the Pac 10.
I thought this schedule was perfect going in. Some teams that are decent that will help the RPI yet OU would still win and gain some experience.

And I really don't understand what you mean by "cupcakes we usually play in the early portion of the season". The schedule this year has been the easiest early season schedule in years. Certainly in Capel's tenure. And it needed to be with the young team. The scheduling was fine.

Last year OU played Davidson, Purdue, UAB & USC all in the first 7 games.
Year before that Memphis & USC
Year before that Memphis, Purdue & Villanova.

Scheduling hasn't been a problem. In fact it's been fine. I don't want to resort to scheduling like some schools who play 10 games of 30 point blowouts before they play anyone. That is weak.

agree. Playing one horrid team can really effect the RPI. One year while on the bubble and did not make it in, we had played Ark Pine Bluff, who didn't win a single game. I caculated the RPI with that game ommited using the suspected RPI equation, it cost us about 6 or 7 RPI ranks.

So, i would rather play someone that can at least play a little.

Back