Pac 10/Big 12 challenge is garbage...

oSuJeff97

Reaction score
Does anyone else think this "series" is garbage and should be put to sleep?

First off, the non-comparative number of teams makes the "challenge" odd, as two Pac 10 teams have to play twice.

Secondly, the stupid thing is spread out over like a month... how is it that the ACC/Big 10 challenge can take place over one week, but the Big 12/Pac 10 challenge takes the end of November and the entire month of December?

Finally, the TV deal is worthless... Fox Sports Regional with the games all over the map in terms of time, etc.

Can we please trash this worthless thing?

Wouldn't a Big 12/SEC challenge with all of the games on a decent network ESPN/ABC or even CBS be MUCH better?

I like it....they just need to fix the length like you said.

I think it is fun. The TV coverage is bad, though. I think it seems worse than it is this year because it is so one sided, but the PAC-10 usually isn't this bad and the Big XII usually isn't the best conference in the country.

It wouldn't be so bad if we had a decent TV contract (read: national network) and they could figure out a way to schedule the thing to make it feel like an "event."

Make the whole thing last one week between two weekends.

That way, they could play 3 or 4 Pac 10 home court games between the two Saturday afternoons, and 3 or 4 Big 12 home games during the week on Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday.

That would negate the silly Pac 10 home games on weeknights that start after 9-10 p.m. everywhere in the country except for the west coast.

Because of the lousy contract and the late-night Pac 10 home games, NOBODY knows about this thing except for the Big 12 and Pac 10 schools that are participating.

The whole point of these "challenge" things is TV exposure for both conferences.

I know that there was talk a few years ago about a Big 12-SEC challenge, and it never came to be.

That just makes SO MUCH more sense, from a regional and a TV perspective.

Maybe you missed it but the SEC is hooked up with the big east who has about 20 times the TV market of the Big XII.

It also feels like they have 20 times as many teams as the Big XII sometimes.

Maybe you missed it but the SEC is hooked up with the big east who has about 20 times the TV market of the Big XII.

I know... my point was that there was an attempt about 5 years ago to start an SEC-Big 12 challenge.

I don't know how/why it wasn't done, but it was certainly bad for the Big 12 that it didn't get done.

How was it bad for the Big XII? Kansas is ranked #1 and pulling in great recruits. Texas is ranked #2 and pulling in great recruits. OU made the elite 8 last year and has 3 McDonald AA recruits.

The top programs in the Big XII are better than ever.

Why not fix it? I completely agree about the timing. The ACC and Big Ten don't have an equal number of teams but their deal works. Just schedule the games over a one week period and make it a real event. The TV will take care of itself if the event is structured better.

It will never be a big TV event. well over half of college basketball fans don't even tune in to these pre season games. College basketball starts when football ends. That means after the bowl games. The teams are just working themselves into shape right now.

I agree, it is a complete garbage tournament. I feel like all the Big 12 schools all played Oregon State and Stanford, lol. Of course OU played Zona and KU played a HORRENDOUS UCLA team, and the entire thing has been trash. I was just talking about this to a friend yesterday during the OSU/Stanford... It is easily the worst of the "challenge" events.

I would rather see a Big 12 vs. MWC/WAC/CUSA event where the Big 12 plays the 4 best teams from the best mid-major conferences. It would give the good mid-major conferences a chance against the Big 12, and would be more entertaining than watching Oregon State play 3-4 Big 12 teams and watching Stanford play another 2-3 of the games, lol..

OU vs. Houston (5-2)
OSU vs. UTEP (5-2)
Texas vs. BYU (8-1)
Texas Tech vs. New Mexico (11-0)
Nebraska vs. Memphis (7-1)
Kansas vs. Tulsa (7-1)
Baylor vs. Nevada (4-4)
Iowa State vs. Southern Miss (7-1)
Kansas State vs. UNLV (8-1)
Missouri vs. UAB (9-1)
Colorado vs. San Diego State (8-2)
Texas A&M vs. Utah State (6-3)

I would rather give these good mid-majors a shot on national television against the Big 12 than watch the Big 12 play against the trash teams of the Pac-10.

Haha the only problem is that if the midmajor conference beats the big XII, which is plausible, we will be laughed at by the rest of the country.

Haha the only problem is that if the midmajor conference beats the big XII, which is plausible, we will be laughed at by the rest of the country.

Yep, that would be a big risk. All those teams would probably sell out at home and give the Big 12 all they want.

Yep, that would be a big risk. All those teams would probably sell out at home and give the Big 12 all they want.

Which is why the Big XII has zero incentive to enter in to that kind of challenge. It does more, from a perception standpoint, for the Big XII to dominate a bad PAC-10, than good mid-majors. In college basketball, perception is reality.

the challenge only exists because fsn agreed to televise it. complaining about the television coverage is completely backwards. espn had no interest in adding an additional challenge to their big 10-acc event, if fsn were to pull out, the challenge would die.

it's a great event for both conferences, far better than the big east-sec thing which only involves a few teams from each conference (because espn would only agree to televise a few games).

it would be nice to concentrate the games into a shorter period. this year was better, with just the osu and a&m games being tremendously late.

I think it just sucked more this year because the PAC-10 is way down. If UCLA, 'Zona, Wazzu, USC, and ASU were better and more teams were ranked it would have had more attention.

I would rather see a Big 12 vs. MWC/WAC/CUSA event where the Big 12 plays the 4 best teams from the best mid-major conferences. It would give the good mid-major conferences a chance against the Big 12, and would be more entertaining than watching Oregon State play 3-4 Big 12 teams and watching Stanford play another 2-3 of the games, lol..

OU vs. Houston (5-2)
OSU vs. UTEP (5-2)
Texas vs. BYU (8-1)
Texas Tech vs. New Mexico (11-0)
Nebraska vs. Memphis (7-1)
Kansas vs. Tulsa (7-1)
Baylor vs. Nevada (4-4)
Iowa State vs. Southern Miss (7-1)
Kansas State vs. UNLV (8-1)
Missouri vs. UAB (9-1)
Colorado vs. San Diego State (8-2)
Texas A&M vs. Utah State (6-3)

I would rather give these good mid-majors a shot on national television against the Big 12 than watch the Big 12 play against the trash teams of the Pac-10.

I LOVE this idea, but as others have pointed out, there is no way the Big 12 would agree to do it... too much risk.

But it would be cool.

I think the Big 12 might acutally get some props from the national media for playing these teams, but it would never happen...

Don't change anything. The Big 12 gets plenty of pluses from the match-Up.
1) Pac 10 area has a big market of viewers

2) There are always marquee players in the Pac 10 i.e., in the last two years the Pac averaged 8 first round NBA draft choices

3) This gives Big 12 teams a chance to recruit West Coast players (re: Jordan Hamilton and Avery Bradley @ Texas; OU fighting for Terrance Jones)

4) At the end of the year wins over traditional powerhouse teams (UCLA, Arizona, Washington) still count in seeding points

Maybe they should just have OU, Texas & Kansas play UCLA, Arizona & USC/Washington and let the other Big XII teams play vs CUSA.

That makes the most sense.

Back