Pace of Play

sooner333

Reaction score
Against Mt. Saint Mary's we had 81 possessions. Now, it's just one game, but that's a very high number. In fact, it's more than any game we played last season in regulation (79 was our tops in a regulation game--Blake's moster game against Tech at home. 78 was next in our road game at high-octane Oklahoma State). It's the most possessions in a game for OU since 2005--Sampson's second-to-last season, where we put up 82 possessions against High Point early in the year and 81 in the first round against up-tempo Niagra (both teams were in the top-40 in tempo). But, it's not as if MSM was a run-and-gun team that allowed us to speed up (like Tech and OSU last year). In fact, MSM was the 243rd fastest team last year with only four games above 70 possessions.

I figured with a bit more depth and without a guy we need to work the ball into each possession, we'd be a little faster. But is this high-paced action something that is going to continue.

In one of the post game interviews, I believe that I read that Capel would still like to play faster, but it will come with experience and game time

Good observation, 333. I think that some of it had to do with the fact that MSM set that kind of pace. I do think we will obviously push it more this year, and with shooters like Pledge, WWIII, TMG, Cade, and Crock, I could see some quick pull-ups.

Back