Portal thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooters definitely a priority but JM is turnover prone and we don’t have another PG on the roster once Uzan leaves. We absolutely have to find another, whether purely a backup or just a true PG who can play alongside JM.
I don't really see JM as a PG. Just doesnt have the smarts and the vision. We need a starting quality PG

I've only seen Dayton play one time and it was in the state tournament this month. I never thought to myself one time that he reminded me of Steph Curry. Steph is constantly moving, plays with high energy, and has deep range. In the game I watched, Dayton was very cerebral, spaced the floor nicely, and would pick his spots to drive. He always seemed to make the correct pass but didn't take many deep shots. In warm-ups, he showed good range and nice form. He did take an alley oop in the game and slammed it with two hands. Didn't think he had great side to side quickness, so I wonder how his defense will translate to college. Really hard to judge since he wasn't playing against any D1 caliber players. To me he is Trey Phipps with more hops, better court vision and passing ability, and similar limitations on defense. But again, that was just one game. I also saw Stevie Clark several years ago in the state tournament. He was way closer to Steph than Dayton would be, I think.
Oof. Makes you wonder if taking another flyer on a portaler might be more worth it. But then again, that might only be a Maks..

I was at the Macasland game to watch this dude live in November. Only guy on that roster who could keep up. I’d LOVE to bring him in. Guy can jump out of the gym

Process Yaya. Process Oweh. Id honestly process northweather too. He has some potential but we cant wait on him to get there..

Bummer should contact every single big man from the tournament that enters the portal immediately and he MUST upgrade from Godwin. If godwin starts again next year, then Bummer is a loser and we must get rid of him immediately. We need 2 imo (hugley is not reliable with his conditioning and if hugley wants a raise on NIL then show him the door).

We need a starting PG.

We need to try to upgrade every single position. We need shooting. (But we really need a new coach more than anything)

Last edited:
Per cmdsooner on Scoop

Several new Tad Glibert follows today:

1 - Rowan Brumbaugh - Georgetown
2 - Ja’Kobi Gillespie - Belmont - followed back
3 - Kobe Johnson - USC
4 - Kanye Clary - Penn State
5 - Koren Johnson - Washington
6 - Dug McDaniel - Michigan
7 - Brandon Garrison - Oklahoma State
8 - Tyrin Lawrence - Vanderbilt
9 - Tyler Cochran - Toledo - followed back, along with following Humphrey, Gates, Custer, & Morris (none of those 4 have followed him back yet)
10 - Layden Blocker - Arkansas

Catching up.

I had a buddy reach out midweek and asked if I wanted to train some middle-schoolers. It was beautiful timing because my 7th grader finally decided he wanted to play ball and I've had an urge to get back into the gym myself (I'm not old!!...I'm experienced, lol). Last night was his first real practice and it was the first time I've coached in like 6 years. Pray for me, lol. My 7th grader will end up 6'3+ (my oldest is 6'5 right now, not a hooper - I'm 6'4). Beanpole and looks a lot like Bambi trying to learn to walk. Eh, there's beauty in the discovery.

Anyway...

Drumm said Forsythe reminds him of Steph? Lol. Let's tap the brakes. I'll be okay if Dayton's a mix of Tim Heskett and/or Nate Erdmann (the first white guards to pop into my head :ROFLMAO: ). Classic Drumm. Total nonsensical homer. Basketball nincompoop.

Because it was posted ITT, I was curious enough to go listen to OUI's pod on bball. Oh boy. Painful to my ears.

Thune: "Ever since the tourney field expanded to 64 teams, this is the first time OU has missed the tourney 3 years in a row" (not exactly word for word but that was the gist).

SB: False. Capel's last two years + Kruger's first year. It is the first time one coach has missed the tourney 3 years in a row.

Drumm: When discussing the NIT, he said, "You're going to go play in The Garden, dude"....as a good reason for OU choosing to play.

SB: False. 1st round, 2nd round, and the quarterfinals are played at campus sites. Then the semifinals/finals are played at Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler). Last year, it was Las Vegas (Orleans Arena/UNLV). Drumm is only 2 years behind on the news.

Drumm: "He's (Forsythe) as close to Steph Curry at the high school ranks as you could possibly get. Anyone who's watched him shoot, or play, their games are eerily similar. He plays just like Steph Curry. His ballhandling, his ability to shoot half-court, in. And you want to know what he has that Steph doesn't, he's explosive. He'll rise up and dunk on you. He's only 6'2. He's an absolute animal. If he would have played at a bigger school, he would have been a 5 star, McDonald's All-American but because he plays small-time Oklahoma ball, he gets buried. Who was the dude that played at Verdigris back in the day...Rodney, um, Rodney (Thune chimes in with Rotnei Clarke)....he reminds me of that except he's got way more skillset, way more athletic, willing to play defense, just a special, special talent. If you can add Forsythe and (Brandon) Garrison, keep McCullough (Drumm's usage, not mine), Jalon Moore, and then add....what's the dude's name? Brody was writing about him, um....the center who can shoot, really good floor spacing. Oh my gosh, he wrote about it on our board and said if he can become more agile and a little bit more of a defender. You're talking about Northweather (Thune chimes in). No, not Northweather. I'm going to tell you who I'm talking about. I am talking about, oh my gosh, he has an African name. He's at Oklahoma right now? Yaya? Keita? (Parker). Yes, Yaya Keita. They said something about him being more agile. No, Kuol Atak. I guess he's not at Oklahoma right now. I guess he needs to add 15-20 pounds. He's got an NBA skillset...so you're going to get Kuol Atak in. He's going to be your big man next year if they don't get one in the portal" (again, not exactly word for word but close enough).

SB: And there it is. Laugh out loud. I'll stop the video there as well. No need to continue on. The above is illustration enough to 1) them being horrific when it comes to basketball 2) OU fans having very little in the way of precise/concise basketball coverage. That was painful to listen to.

I haven't had the chance to watch Forsythe in person. I wish I would have but I'm now in Texas. From what I have seen, online (live feeds, Twitter, youtube, etc), I've never thought of Steph Curry when watching him. Ever. That is a huge stretch and I don't see many comparables outside of both being basketball players (lol). Yes, both shoot threes? Curry a lot...while Forsythe's game is a little more versatile at the high school level (layups, mid range, getting to the FT line, etc). Curry can dunk and do all those things though but he's, arguably, the best shooter in NBA history and that's his bread/butter (duh). It's a very dumb comparison, IMO.

The stuff about being a 5 star if he wasn't at Dale is stupid. You could use a kid like Travis Perry, who's from a small town, is committed to Kentucky, and is a match with Dayton when it comes to size (close enough anyway), as an example. I've stopped caring a long time ago but I'm pretty sure Perry owns scoring/shooting records for the state of KY (also back-to-back Gatorade KY POY). The kid is a baller and he's not even a 5 star or McD's AA. Could Forsythe end up being better? I mean, maybe, but right now Perry is the better high school prospect. Dale is smaller than Perry's hometown (Dale is like 400-500 while Perry's town is 2500 ish) but in today's landscape, with the shoe circuit (summer basketball), plenty of eyeballs have been on Forsythe. He's not a 5 star because he's not a 5 star. Doesn't matter once they step on campus anyway.

Rotnei Clarke was a bad, bad dude. Do not get it twisted. He was much more than just a shooter. He had great handles. He could get to the rack or pull up in the mid range. But sure, when you shoot 42% from 3P in college, you might as well shoot your little ass off. If Dayton can be Rotnei, well chit, OU just landed a got damn star. As of right now, I don't think it's fair to say Dayton is at that level. That's not me saying he can't be....but come on, bias aside, Rotnei was a fuccing baller. One of the best high school players in state history.

The rest...just lol. Atak isn't going to be a center. More of a stretch four. But we'll have to see how his development goes. Getting McCollum's name wrong, lol. Just funny stuff, man. Way too much nonsense and way too much homerism.

----

Lusk...I honestly thought he was a tad older (17-18 y/o). I just wrote him a novel in his DMs and the kid was probably like "WTF". :) I'm a bit crazy (okay, a lot crazy). Didn't mean to offend and I'm an asshole. I have no issues with him outside of aligning with OUI...because they suck. Anyway, Lusk is okay in my book. I won't "support" him because I refuse to support anything OUI-related but I also won't hate on him going forward (he's a child).

I'll have new thread up hopefully by the end of the night. Lost traction and had to start over. Then I start making charts/sheets one way and decide I'd rather do it another way. I'll throw something together, though.

Last edited:
Catching up.

I had a buddy reach out midweek and asked if I wanted to train some middle-schoolers. It was beautiful timing because my 7th grader finally decided he wanted to play ball and I've had an urge to get back into the gym myself (I'm not old!!...I'm experienced, lol). Last night was his first real practice and it was the first time I've coached in like 6 years. Pray for me, lol. My 7th grader will end up 6'3+ (my oldest is 6'5 right now, not a hooper - I'm 6'4). Beanpole and looks a lot like Bambi trying to learn to walk. Eh, there's beauty in the discovery.

Anyway...

Drumm said Forsythe reminds him of Steph? Lol. Let's tap the brakes. I'll be okay if Dayton's a mix of Tim Heskett and/or Nate Erdmann (the first white guards to pop into my head :ROFLMAO: ). Classic Drumm. Total nonsensical homer. Basketball nincompoop.

Because it was posted ITT, I was curious enough to go listen to OUI's pod on bball. Oh boy. Painful to my ears.

Thune: "Ever since the tourney field expanded to 64 teams, this is the first time OU has missed the tourney 3 years in a row" (not exactly word for word but that was the gist).

SB: False. Capel's last two years + Kruger's first year. It is the first time one coach has missed the tourney 3 years in a row.

Drumm: When discussing the NIT, he said, "You're going to go play in The Garden, dude"....as a good reason for OU choosing to play.

SB: False. 1st round, 2nd round, and the quarterfinals are played at campus sites. Then the semifinals/finals are played at Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler). Last year, it was Las Vegas (Orleans Arena/UNLV). Drumm is only 2 years behind on the news.

Drumm: "He's (Forsythe) as close to Steph Curry at the high school ranks as you could possibly get. Anyone who's watched him shoot, or play, their games are eerily similar. He plays just like Steph Curry. His ballhandling, his ability to shoot half-court, in. And you want to know what he has that Steph doesn't, he's explosive. He'll rise up and dunk on you. He's only 6'2. He's an absolute animal. If he would have played at a bigger school, he would have been a 5 star, McDonald's All-American but because he plays small-time Oklahoma ball, he gets buried. Who was the dude that played at Verdigris back in the day...Rodney, um, Rodney (Thune chimes in with Rotnei Clarke)....he reminds me of that except he's got way more skillset, way more athletic, willing to play defense, just a special, special talent. If you can add Forsythe and (Brandon) Garrison, keep McCullough (Drumm's usage, not mine), Jalon Moore, and then add....what's the dude's name? Brody was writing about him, um....the center who can shoot, really good floor spacing. Oh my gosh, he wrote about it on our board and said if he can become more agile and a little bit more of a defender. You're talking about Northweather (Thune chimes in). No, not Northweather. I'm going to tell you who I'm talking about. I am talking about, oh my gosh, he has an African name. He's at Oklahoma right now? Yaya? Keita? (Parker). Yes, Yaya Keita. They said something about him being more agile. No, Kuol Atak. I guess he's not at Oklahoma right now. I guess he needs to add 15-20 pounds. He's got an NBA skillset...so you're going to get Kuol Atak in. He's going to be your big man next year if they don't get one in the portal" (again, not exactly word for word but close enough).

SB: And there it is. Laugh out loud. I'll stop the video there as well. No need to continue on. The above is illustration enough to 1) them being horrific when it comes to basketball 2) OU fans having very little in the way of precise/concise basketball coverage. That was painful to listen to.

I haven't had the chance to watch Forsythe in person. I wish I would have but I'm now in Texas. From what I have seen, online (live feeds, Twitter, youtube, etc), I've never thought of Steph Curry when watching him. Ever. That is a huge stretch and I don't see many comparables outside of both being basketball players (lol). Yes, both shoot threes? Curry a lot...while Forsythe's game is a little more versatile at the high school level (layups, mid range, getting to the FT line, etc). Curry can dunk and do all those things though but he's, arguably, the best shooter in NBA history and that's his bread/butter (duh). It's a very dumb comparison, IMO.

The stuff about being a 5 star if he wasn't at Dale is stupid. You could use a kid like Travis Perry, who's from a small town, is committed to Kentucky, and is a match with Dayton when it comes to size (close enough anyway), as an example. I've stopped caring a long time ago but I'm pretty sure Perry owns scoring/shooting records for the state of KY (also back-to-back Gatorade KY POY). The kid is a baller and he's not even a 5 star or McD's AA. Could Forsythe end up being better? I mean, maybe, but right now Perry is the better high school prospect. Dale is smaller than Perry's hometown (Dale is like 400-500 while Perry's town is 2500 ish) but in today's landscape, with the shoe circuit (summer basketball), plenty of eyeballs have been on Forsythe. He's not a 5 star because he's not a 5 star. Doesn't matter once they step on campus anyway.

Rotnei Clarke was a bad, bad dude. Do not get it twisted. He was much more than just a shooter. He had great handles. He could get to the rack or pull up in the mid range. But sure, when you shoot 42% from 3P in college, you might as well shoot your little ass off. If Dayton can be Rotnei, well chit, OU just landed a got damn star. As of right now, I don't think it's fair to say Dayton is at that level. That's not me saying he can't be....but come on, bias aside, Rotnei was a fuccing baller. One of the best high school players in state history.

The rest...just lol. Atak isn't going to be a center. More of a stretch four. But we'll have to see how his development goes. Getting McCollum's name wrong, lol. Just funny stuff, man. Way too much nonsense and way too much homerism.

----

Lusk...I honestly thought he was a tad older (17-18 y/o). I just wrote him a novel in his DMs and the kid was probably like "WTF". :) I'm a bit crazy (okay, a lot crazy). Didn't mean to offend and I'm an asshole. I have no issues with him outside of aligning with OUI...because they suck. Anyway, Lusk is okay in my book. I won't "support" him because I refuse to support anything OUI-related but I also won't hate on him going forward (he's a child).

I'll have new thread up hopefully by the end of the night. Lost traction and had to start over. Then I start making charts/sheets one way and decide I'd rather do it another way. I'll throw something together, though.
Man oh man this whole thing is embarrassing, but not surprising in the least. I guess maybe the only surprising part is that they don’t at least have the names in front of them when they are recording the pod. At least make it look like you know what you’re talking about lol.

But it’s good to know that we have one recruit coming in who is a more explosive version of the greatest shooter in history, and the other is an NBA “big.” Combined with how awful the SEC is according to some, I’m really thinking 31-0 is a possibility. I’m sure we will get screwed by the refs, so probably should go with 30-1 just to be safe.

Catching up.

Anyway...

----

I'll have new thread up hopefully by the end of the night. Lost traction and had to start over. Then I start making charts/sheets one way and decide I'd rather do it another way. I'll throw something together, thoug
Dayton is the truth and yes if he were at a bigger school he would be getting talked about more.

Dayton is the truth and yes if he were at a bigger school he would be getting talked about more.
I didn't argue against either. Not fully anyway.

Dayton is really good. He's just not Steph Curry or Rotnei Clarke. Right now. Those are really lofty comparisons. One guy is an all-time great. A player who has fundamentally changed basketball as a whole. The other averaged 15 ppg in college (Butler & Arky) and is/was a top 2-3 scorer in OK HS history (I don't have the stats in front of me). And I believe Rotnei just finally wrapped up his (overseas) pro career in the last year or two. He was the NBL MVP one year. NBL = Australian pro league (underrated league).

Dale, OK hurts him some, maybe, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as some people are suggesting. He received offers from west coast schools (Cal), east coast schools (Wake, Nova, Florida Gulf Coast), and schools in between (OU, Rice, OSU, Wichita State). He's not an unknown prospect. He played for Team Griffin, he played EYBL. He was likely seen by all the top schools in CBB. And if he wasn't, programs see offers from OU, Villanova, places like that, and typically look into them. Even if you say being from a small town hinders him some, I definitely don't agree that it prevented him from being a 5 star/McD's AA type. That math doesn't check out.

I just spent a good amount of time watching some Dayton highlights.

My thoughts:

Dayton looks like every other player on his team. If they had no numbers, I would be lost. His level of competition just, isn't good. I have a hard time trying to decide where his ceiling is. He is NOWHERE NEAR Steph Curry, not in style, shot selection, play ability...nothing. I do not get that reference at all watching him play.

I think he is closer to Maks Klanscek than anything. I went and watched both, seems very similar to me. Dayton does not attack how I want a guard to attack. He is too lateral when driving. (Dan Hayes school of thought incoming ... ) When you have a penetrating guard, you want to maximize your speed and quickness by driving as efficiently and quickly as possible. Kids nowadays don't do that, they try the hesitate move and bouncy dribble head fakes. It is about a long stride past your defender, hugging their hips, and taking it as much in a straight line to the basket as possible. (Houston guard does this very well)

Ugh, I hate to say it, but I just don't see a D-I starter year 1 in Dayton and I hope I am wrong. I rewatched Keyton Page highlights, bc he had to do more with less, but Keyton was a super spacer on getting his 3 point shots off. SO quick, so efficient.

If he comes in ready to work and develop, maybe we get that type of production out of him in year 2 or 3? I just don't see it right now. Hope I am wrong.

I didn't argue against either. Not fully anyway.

Dayton is really good. He's just not Steph Curry or Rotnei Clarke. Right now. Those are really lofty comparisons. One guy is an all-time great. A player who has fundamentally changed basketball as a whole. The other averaged 15 ppg in college (Butler & Arky) and is/was a top 2-3 scorer in OK HS history (I don't have the stats in front of me). And I believe Rotnei just finally wrapped up his (overseas) pro career in the last year or two. He was the NBL MVP one year. NBL = Australian pro league (underrated league).

Dale, OK hurts him some, maybe, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as some people are suggesting. He received offers from west coast schools (Cal), east coast schools (Wake, Nova, Florida Gulf Coast), and schools in between (OU, Rice, OSU, Wichita State). He's not an unknown prospect. He played for Team Griffin, he played EYBL. He was likely seen by all the top schools in CBB. And if he wasn't, programs see offers from OU, Villanova, places like that, and typically look into them. Even if you say being from a small town hinders him some, I definitely don't agree that it prevented him from being a 5 star/McD's AA type. That math doesn't check out.
I’ve watched him play a few times over the past several years. He is the kind of player OU has needed the past several years. He’s a winner and you won’t watch him and ever have to say “What was he thinking or why did he do that” For Dale if they needed him to score he scored, if not he shared the ball and was a team player. He’s a lot more athletic than you would think and is just good at everything. At OU will he be the best player on a team making the tournament, maybe, maybe not, but he will help win.

I just spent a good amount of time watching some Dayton highlights.

My thoughts:

Dayton looks like every other player on his team. If they had no numbers, I would be lost. His level of competition just, isn't good. I have a hard time trying to decide where his ceiling is. He is NOWHERE NEAR Steph Curry, not in style, shot selection, play ability...nothing. I do not get that reference at all watching him play.

I think he is closer to Maks Klanscek than anything. I went and watched both, seems very similar to me. Dayton does not attack how I want a guard to attack. He is too lateral when driving. (Dan Hayes school of thought incoming ... ) When you have a penetrating guard, you want to maximize your speed and quickness by driving as efficiently and quickly as possible. Kids nowadays don't do that, they try the hesitate move and bouncy dribble head fakes. It is about a long stride past your defender, hugging their hips, and taking it as much in a straight line to the basket as possible. (Houston guard does this very well)

Ugh, I hate to say it, but I just don't see a D-I starter year 1 in Dayton and I hope I am wrong. I rewatched Keyton Page highlights, bc he had to do more with less, but Keyton was a super spacer on getting his 3 point shots off. SO quick, so efficient.

If he comes in ready to work and develop, maybe we get that type of production out of him in year 2 or 3? I just don't see it right now. Hope I am wrong.
I agree, I don’t think he a D-1 starter year 1 but I am confident unlike a lot of the guys on the team this year he can dribble without gifting the other team a turnover.

I’ve watched him play a few times over the past several years. He is the kind of player OU has needed the past several years. He’s a winner and you won’t watch him and ever have to say “What was he thinking or why did he do that” For Dale if they needed him to score he scored, if not he shared the ball and was a team player. He’s a lot more athletic than you would think and is just good at everything. At OU will he be the best player on a team making the tournament, maybe, maybe not, but he will help win.
I saw the winner quite a few times and it always kind of makes me chuckle. I would guess that if you put any of our current players on a really small high school team, they would have also won a ton of games. Obviously none of us know what he will be, but I think a career backup is a much more likely outcome than a difference maker. And there is no question that coaches and recruiting services see every player regardless of what size school they go to. Gradey Dick spent the first 10 years of his schooling at my old high school before he went over to Sunrise. My school has about 60-70 kids per graduating class. He was already a very highly recruited kid with tons of P5 offers and considered a top 15-20 player in his class before he went to Sunrise.

I saw the winner quite a few times and it always kind of makes me chuckle. I would guess that if you put any of our current players on a really small high school team, they would have also won a ton of games. Obviously none of us know what he will be, but I think a career backup is a much more likely outcome than a difference maker.
I agree with this. I don’t think he’ll be another Phipps but I doubt he’ll ever put up a lot of numbers at OU. But being a career backup isn’t a bad thing. He can still be a net positive on the team without being a superstar. I think it would be great If he could give ten minutes a game, knock down some shots and not commit turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back