Question for the board:

cfin5256

Reaction score
I'm watching OU/Centenary on ESPN360 and they just showed the bio of WW at the beginning; it said WW is only the 2nd player for OU to score 500+ points as a frosh. I was wondering; was Blake the 1st? If not, who was? Just curious.

I'm watching OU/Centenary on ESPN360 and they just showed the bio of WW at the beginning; it said WW is only the 2nd player for OU to score 500+ points as a frosh. I was wondering; was Blake the 1st? If not, who was? Just curious.

I mean I would probably have to say it was this guy:eek:ldwt356:

Blake scored 484 points his freshmen year
Wayman scored 810 points his freshmen year

There's your answer

Thanks. Thought it would probably be Wayman if it wasn't Blake. Wasn't sure though; it might have been before my time. Over 800 points as a freshman. Incredible. Wayman was a stud. The number 23 has been good to OU :woot

Thanks. Thought it would probably be Wayman if it wasn't Blake. Wasn't sure though; it might have been before my time. Over 800 points as a freshman. Incredible. Wayman was a stud. The number 23 has been good to OU :woot

Just curious... Were you old enough to enjoy and appreciate the amazingness that was Wayman Tisdale? He had an unstoppable turnaround jumper. I was lucky enough to be at OU his JR (and final) season. I also worked part-time for the Big 8 Conference Headquarters my senior year in high school and got to have a press pass for the conference tourny. During that my boss, Tracy Dittemore, arranged to have me meet Wayman, which was such an amazing experience since Wayman was my idol.

For Chistmas before that tourny Tracy also gave me an autographed pic of Wayman that listed some of his amazing accomplishments to that point that was signed "To Mark, Best wishes, Wayman Tisdale". I'm not saying all this to brag about meeting Wayman and such, but just enjoying remembering how awesome it was.

When I got to OU, because I had connections in the Sports Information Department from working in the Big 8 Conferene Headquarters, I was able to work (on a voluntary basis) for them during the football and basketball seasons. I had a press pass and was in the press box during football games (which was really hard because you aren't supposed to go nuts cheering when the team kicks a$$). I also had a press pass for the basketball games which was much cooler because I got to sit on the floor at the end of the scorers table by the visiting teams bench (and boy could Norm Stewart cuss up a storm). It was so amazingly cool to see Wayman playing from that close (at times only 3 or 4 feet or so away from me).

Anyway, before I got sidetracked remembering how awesome that was and how lucky I was, I was going to tell you that Wayman was the first player ever to be named First Team AP All-American as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior. So yeah, Wayman is most definitely, by far and away, the Freshman record holder for scoring at OU.

Great story. I am just a few years younger than you so I never really got to see Wayman play. I certainly heard about him but in high school college basketball was not important to me. I probably watched th final four and maybe a couple of games a year. I became a fan of college basketball by going to the games while I was at OU. I did a lot of things at OU but going to the basketball games is one of my best memories. It amazes me that students are standing in lines to get tickets. I honestly enjoyed basketball more than football (I am a bigger football fan, but their is nothing better than the atmosphere at a college basketball game).

Actually, I'm genuinely surprised that Willie was only the 2nd OU player to score 500+ points as a freshman. I thought for sure Tim McCallister scored at least 500. It must have been 499.

Just curious... Were you old enough to enjoy and appreciate the amazingness that was Wayman Tisdale? He had an unstoppable turnaround jumper. I was lucky enough to be at OU his JR (and final) season. I also worked part-time for the Big 8 Conference Headquarters my senior year in high school and got to have a press pass for the conference tourny. During that my boss, Tracy Dittemore, arranged to have me meet Wayman, which was such an amazing experience since Wayman was my idol.

For Chistmas before that tourny Tracy also gave me an autographed pic of Wayman that listed some of his amazing accomplishments to that point that was signed "To Mark, Best wishes, Wayman Tisdale". I'm not saying all this to brag about meeting Wayman and such, but just enjoying remembering how awesome it was.

When I got to OU, because I had connections in the Sports Information Department from working in the Big 8 Conferene Headquarters, I was able to work (on a voluntary basis) for them during the football and basketball seasons. I had a press pass and was in the press box during football games (which was really hard because you aren't supposed to go nuts cheering when the team kicks a$$). I also had a press pass for the basketball games which was much cooler because I got to sit on the floor at the end of the scorers table by the visiting teams bench (and boy could Norm Stewart cuss up a storm). It was so amazingly cool to see Wayman playing from that close (at times only 3 or 4 feet or so away from me).

Anyway, before I got sidetracked remembering how awesome that was and how lucky I was, I was going to tell you that Wayman was the first player ever to be named First Team AP All-American as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior. So yeah, Wayman is most definitely, by far and away, the Freshman record holder for scoring at OU.

I was old enough to become an OU hoops fan in Wayman's final season, so I missed out on anything before that except in highlights. Everything I've seen/heard/read about Wayman makes it clear that not watching the earlier seasons was clearly my loss. He was a blessing to OU, the sport of basketball, music, and life in general.

Back