Rank the Big 12 recruiting classes (2009)

thebigabd

Reaction score
1.) Texas
2.) Kansas
3.) Oklahoma
4.) Baylor
5.) Kansas State
6.) Iowa State
7.) Texas Tech
8.) Colorado
9.) Oklahoma State
10.) Nebraska
11.) Texas A&M
12.) Mizzou

-I put Oklahoma State at #9 because they lost their best recruit, but gained some ground with a good transfer (Matt Pilgrim).. All said, their best recruit will play spot minutes next year because he is behind Anderson and Muenolo. Outside of Pilgrim, I dont see much production in this class. Their 2010 class is going to be much better than this one.

-Mizzou got last because I dont think their class will bring much to the table this year at all. Their best recruit is behind JT Tiller and Miguel Paul, and none of the other guys will play much at all. They also let the best player in the state go to Colorado without an offer, which is mind boggling.

-Texas A&M signed one guy who is a potential difference maker with Naji Hibbert, and the rest of them dont impress me a whole lot.

-I think Tech signed the most underrated class in the conference, and it wont get a whole lot of pub because of the juco guys.... They went guard heavy to upgrade shooting and athletic ability and I think they did that. This will be a productive class, and will fit in perfectly with Roberson, Singletary, Okorie, and Lewandowski.

-Colorado probably signed two starters and a 6th man with Tunks, Burks, and Relphorde. Now, they were the last place team in the Big 12, but they signed a good impact class to get better. They will return all 5 starters the year after next too, including Higgins.

-Iowa State added some nice pieces to Craig Brackins, and it should be a productive class.. They got a top 60 out of high school in the post (Laron Dendy), a top 100 player at point guard (Chris Colvin), and a top 30 overall recruit per ESPN (Marquis Gilstrap).. They got significantly better with this class.

Last edited:
Colorado got a good one in Burks... but Dixon was the best recruit in Missouri (best senior, anyway; the best player is by far Bradley Beal).

Dixon is not going to be behind Tiller and Paul. First of all, Tiller is more of a 2. Zaire Taylor is more of the point guard in the starting lineup.

Second, MU plays a three guard lineup most of the time and goes 10 deep (at least) every game. There are six guards on the roster, and all will see plenty of time. Dixon and Paul aren't necessarily going to be in direct competition for minutes. Paul, despite his size, is more of a combo guard, while Dixon is much more of a true point guard. They'll likely spent time on the court together when the starters leave the game.

KU's is ahead of Texas. Especially with all the problems Jordan Hamilton has had. He may not even make it on campus. OU's is better than Texas as well. And that's if Hamilton does make it.

KU 1
OU 2
Texas 3

Colorado got a good one in Burks... but Dixon was the best recruit in Missouri (best senior, anyway; the best player is by far Bradley Beal).

Dixon is not going to be behind Tiller and Paul. First of all, Tiller is more of a 2. Zaire Taylor is more of the point guard in the starting lineup.

Second, MU plays a three guard lineup most of the time and goes 10 deep (at least) every game. There are six guards on the roster, and all will see plenty of time. Dixon and Paul aren't necessarily going to be in direct competition for minutes. Paul, despite his size, is more of a combo guard, while Dixon is much more of a true point guard. They'll likely spent time on the court together when the starters leave the game.

Burk will by far be a better player than Dixon. He'll have more opportunity too! Mike Anderson really missed out on Burk because he is a great guy for his sytem.

i agree on burks. i know the ksu staff really liked him.

i don't like paul at all. taylor probably has the point locked up for mu next year, but dixon should be able to beat out paul and start as a soph.

1. Texas
2. OU
3. KU
4. KSU
5. Baylor
6. OSU
7. A&M
8. ISU
9. Mizzou
10. CU
11. Tech
12. Neb

KU's is ahead of Texas. Especially with all the problems Jordan Hamilton has had. He may not even make it on campus. OU's is better than Texas as well. And that's if Hamilton does make it.

KU 1
OU 2
Texas 3

Hamilton is already on campus.

I won't say you're wrong about ou having a better class than Texas because it's all opinion, but what makes you think that.

Burk will by far be a better player than Dixon. He'll have more opportunity too! Mike Anderson really missed out on Burk because he is a great guy for his sytem.

Without a doubt. Burk was a major steal for Colorado, and a major recruiting blunder for Missouri.

Last edited:
Hamilton is already on campus.
I won't say you're wrong about ou having a better class than Texas because it's all opinion, but what makes you think that.

Is Hamilton eligible to play? Is he going to be a headcase? Didn't he have problems in high school and hasn't played in over a year?

According to Scout KU has a better class than Texas and OU is right there with them and that's counting on Hamiliton. I just don't think you can count on him to rank Texas higher than KU and OU who have no question marks. Plus with KU you add in Withey and to me it's a no brainer that both are better than Texas.

KU: Henry, Robinson & Johnson are all consensus top 30 players. Throw in Withey who was top 40 a year ago and it's a great class with versatility. And even CJ Henry as a walk-on with ability.
OU: Gallon & TMG were both MCDAA. Neither KU nor Texas can say they have that. Plus Pledger and Fitz are bigtime sleepers.
Texas: Bradley is no doubt a stud. Hamilton is a HUGE question mark and Williams is a 50-75 recruit.

Bottom line is Texas whole class (when comparing to KU and OU) relies on Hamilton and that's a big if. I'd rather have KU and OU's #2 recruits (Robinson & TMG) than Hamilton. Plus KU and OU's classes have more depth and versatility. Both with 5 newcomers. Texas plus is Bradley is so good but he's not any higher rated than Henry and not much more than Gallon so all 3 have superstar one and done types.

Is Hamilton eligible to play? Is he going to be a headcase? Didn't he have problems in high school and hasn't played in over a year?

According to Scout KU has a better class than Texas and OU is right there with them and that's counting on Hamiliton. I just don't think you can count on him to rank Texas higher than KU and OU who have no question marks. Plus with KU you add in Withey and to me it's a no brainer that both are better than Texas.

KU: Henry, Robinson & Johnson are all consensus top 30 players. Throw in Withey who was top 40 a year ago and it's a great class with versatility. And even CJ Henry as a walk-on with ability.
OU: Gallon & TMG were both MCDAA. Neither KU nor Texas can say they have that. Plus Pledger and Fitz are bigtime sleepers.
Texas: Bradley is no doubt a stud. Hamilton is a HUGE question mark and Williams is a 50-75 recruit.

Bottom line is Texas whole class (when comparing to KU and OU) relies on Hamilton and that's a big if. I'd rather have KU and OU's #2 recruits (Robinson & TMG) than Hamilton. Plus KU and OU's classes have more depth and versatility. Both with 5 newcomers. Texas plus is Bradley is so good but he's not any higher rated than Henry and not much more than Gallon so all 3 have superstar one and done types.

Word is Hamilton is eligible. And he was never a headcase? I'm used to you being on point and not exagerrating. He hasn't played in over a year, but it wasn't because he was acting a fool or anything.

I think Texas also has a better class than KU but at least that can be debated. As far as what Scout and Rivals say Texas has a better class than ou. How you try and take Hamilton out the equation I don't know. He is no question mark. They are still saying he is the best offensive player coming out of high school. If you would rather have TMG or Robinson then you're slipping big time.

Rivals:

Texas-Bradley #4, Hamilton #6, Williams #67. Then you speak on who KU has coming in out of last years class that was ranked in the top, Brwon was #54 last year. But he doesn't have to be discussed, Texas still has the better class.

ou-Gallon #9, TMG #46, Fitz #70 and Pledger.

As far as the McDAA comment, Hamilton would have been playing in that game had he played this year. So although Texas can't say they have 2 MCDAA's they can still say they have more talent. He did play in other all star games though.

Bottom line is Texas is supposed to depend on Hamilton, he's part of the class. Your big if is imaginary. Texas doesn't have one superstar coming in, they have two. That's the trump right there. Two one and done type players. Just using your criteria. Then we have a sharp shooting wing coming in along with newcomer J Brown. But if you're basing your decision on who brought in 5players to form a full team, then that doesn't make sense. All teams don't have the same needs. That's why they usually rank these things on talent, not who is bringing in a full squad that has depth. And Texas is bringing in more talent than ou.

Word is Hamilton is eligible. And he was never a headcase? I'm used to you being on point and not exagerrating. He hasn't played in over a year, but it wasn't because he was acting a fool or anything.

I think Texas also has a better class than KU but at least that can be debated. As far as what Scout and Rivals say Texas has a better class than ou. How you try and take Hamilton out the equation I don't know. He is no question mark. They are still saying he is the best offensive player coming out of high school. If you would rather have TMG or Robinson then you're slipping big time.

Rivals:

Texas-Bradley #4, Hamilton #6, Williams #67. Then you speak on who KU has coming in out of last years class that was ranked in the top, Brwon was #54 last year. But he doesn't have to be discussed, Texas still has the better class.

ou-Gallon #9, TMG #46, Fitz #70 and Pledger.

As far as the McDAA comment, Hamilton would have been playing in that game had he played this year. So although Texas can't say they have 2 MCDAA's they can still say they have more talent. He did play in other all star games though.

Bottom line is Texas is supposed to depend on Hamilton, he's part of the class. Your big if is imaginary. Texas doesn't have one superstar coming in, they have two. That's the trump right there. Two one and done type players. Just using your criteria. Then we have a sharp shooting wing coming in along with newcomer J Brown. But if you're basing your decision on who brought in 5players to form a full team, then that doesn't make sense. All teams don't have the same needs. That's why they usually rank these things on talent, not who is bringing in a full squad that has depth. And Texas is bringing in more talent than ou.

Wow, I didn't know that Texas had basketball fans! Awesome.

I agree that Texas has a better class than both KU and OU. Bradley and Hamilton are both going to be studs. I am not a huge Williams guy, and think he benifited big time by playing for Duncanville and having major aau connections. I like Franklin a lot better.

Wow, I didn't know that Texas had basketball fans! Awesome.

I agree that Texas has a better class than both KU and OU. Bradley and Hamilton are both going to be studs. I am not a huge Williams guy, and think he benifited big time by playing for Duncanville and having major aau connections. I like Franklin a lot better.

Dont forget they also add Jai Lucas, who was a top 45 player out of high school.

I like the rsci rankings a lot better than just rivals btw

rsci for 2009

Texas
Avery Bradley #4
Jordan Hamilton #22
Shawn Willimas $55

Kansas
Xavier Henry #6
Elijah Johnson #25
Thomas Robinson #26

Oklahoma
Keith Gallon #9
TMG #30
Andrew Fitzgerald #81

Great as you said "word is"....seems to be up in the air. The rumors are everywhere. That's why I said he's a question mark compared to anyone on KU or OU. Kid has 22 F's over a 3 year period. That's not a question mark?

How you try and take Hamilton out the equation I don't know. He is no question mark. They are still saying he is the best offensive player coming out of high school.
Who is saying that....Texas fans? Please, I haven't heard he's the best offensive player in the class. He's not even top 20 RSCI.
He's 22....Elijah Johnson, Thomas Robinson & TMG are all 20-30 as well.
Again...I'd rather have Robinson & TMG. They are equally rated and will be in school a lot longer. As you said Hamilton is already thinking going pro.

I guess we'll see....time will tell. Texas better win the Big 12 this year or make a deep run in the tourney otherwise bringing in one and dones does nothing and actually hurts your program. KU and OU both built building blocks for the future with these classes...by your own admission Texas did not.

Great as you said "word is"....seems to be up in the air. The rumors are everywhere. That's why I said he's a question mark compared to anyone on KU or OU. Kid has 22 F's over a 3 year period. That's not a question mark?
Hamilton is on campus now and taking summer classes. link

"Who is saying that....Texas fans? Please, I haven't heard he's the best offensive player in the class."

cheno just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it's Texas fans saying it. No need to say please again cheno, but I'll go ahead and say you're welcome before you say thank you. I think you're the only one in the country acting as if Hamilton doesn't really count. This is what ESPN had to say about him.

Evaluation

September, 2008: Hamilton was a man among boys at this event (2008 Fullcourt Press Fall Hoops Classic) and virtually unstoppable on every possession. He is the most gifted scorer on the west coast and might have the most polished offensive game in the country. He is a menace in the open court and a very underrated passer as well. He has range on his shot out to 25 feet and he is equally effective in a catch-n-shoot situation as well as off the bounce.

"please".

"Who is saying that....Texas fans? Please, I haven't heard he's the best offensive player in the class."

cheno just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it's Texas fans saying it. No need to say please again cheno, but I'll go ahead and say you're welcome before you say thank you. I think you're the only one in the country acting as if Hamilton doesn't really count. This is what ESPN had to say about him.

Evaluation

September, 2008: Hamilton was a man among boys at this event (2008 Fullcourt Press Fall Hoops Classic) and virtually unstoppable on every possession. He is the most gifted scorer on the west coast and might have the most polished offensive game in the country. He is a menace in the open court and a very underrated passer as well. He has range on his shot out to 25 feet and he is equally effective in a catch-n-shoot situation as well as off the bounce.

"please".

pwned.

Evaluation

"please".

I am still just in awe that Texas has basketball fans on the internets. Who would have knew! Welcome, my horn-clad friend! Let's just hope that you hate on Kansas as much as I do. :dance005:

All said, their best recruit will play spot minutes next year because he is behind Anderson and Muenolo.

I wouldn't discount Franklin in this class because he will back up OSU's strongest position. Muonelo will definitely be gone next year and Anderson might be gone next year. A year from now, which one of these recruits can OSU least afford to lose? Franklin.

Their 2010 class is going to be much better than this one.

We won't know until next spring. This hoops season will be a very important transition season for OSU. Which direction? Nobody knows. Many eyes will be on Stillwater. It could be a Capel type recruiting class but it could also be a Sean Sutton type recruiting class.

Back