Ray Willis reminds me of Anthony Bowie

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
Anthony was always skin and bone. But he was a player going all the way to junior high and high school. He went on to have a nice career in the NBA.

Ray Willis just needs playing time to get his confidence going. He is a skilled kid who reminds me of Bowie.

If anybody played vs Bowie in High School or even middle school they will remember that he was even thinner than Ray.

I think he could be a decent player if he would get a little stronger.

He needs minutes, in the 2nd half he was driving and actually passing the ball. He had 2 really nice dishes one was to number 1 and he fumbled it. The other was with the clock on the ropes, he drove and popped it to a wide open number 4 and number 4 clanked a mid range wide open jumper.

Anthony was always skin and bone. But he was a player going all the way to junior high and high school. He went on to have a nice career in the NBA.

Ray Willis just needs playing time to get his confidence going. He is a skilled kid who reminds me of Bowie.

If anybody played vs Bowie in High School or even middle school they will remember that he was even thinner than Ray.

He would have to gain a lot confidence. Anthony Bowie was a stud. I can kind of see an undeveloped skill set that is similar to Bowie's. Regardless, I like having Ray out there and think he will only get better. He could become the real deal if he keeps on getting minutes.

Ray is not without offensive skills, and he has never been shy about shooting the ball when he got the chance. lol I think with more experience he could be an adequate defender, although his slight build puts him at a disadvantage against bigger, stronger wings.

Anthony brought more to the game relative to Willis to this point regarding his skill level as well as having more flash.

I hope Sweet Baby Ray doesn't transfer. He still needs to learn some D, but he showed some good promise. If we could get him off the bench to shoot just a couple of threes, that would help so much (something we've been SORELY missing from Pledger since the Mizzou game).

Bowie had a nearly 15 year professional career in the States and overseas. Ray has skills but he has a way to go before he reminds me of Anthony Bowie.

Boo was a juco AA his soph season and was really a well rounded player, he could shoot from the corners, and off the pull up dribble, could pass, and rebound well for his size, he could D it up too. Him and William "Chili" Childs used to have combative one on one games...

Ray is a very good athelete, but nowhere near as well rounded as Boo..I can see the physical likeness though..height, weight, build, very simaler.

I will add Ray is a better ball handler and is scrapier than Boo, plays more out of control, Boo was smooooth..

Last edited:
If Ray was playing in JUCO he would be an All-American...

Dude has great handles for his size and would be dominating at that level scoring the ball...

Ray is such a mystery to me. He really does have a lot of offensive game. More than most Sooner fans realize. I don't buy the skin and bones thing in regards to it being the reason that he struggles so much. With Ray, it is about attitude and effort and what is in between the ears.

He had a couple of streches of decent defense last night. I hope he got a good taste of that because that is what is going to take for him to get court time once we are healthy again and going foward into next year. He will stay on the bench if he doesn't play defense with some heart.

If Ray was playing in JUCO he would be an All-American...

Dude has great handles for his size and would be dominating at that level scoring the ball...

Then I guess next year will tell the tale--as a Jr Boo started for a salty OU team and put up nice numbers...

I agree Boo was much more of a player than Ray. But also think Ray can be a player... he just needs some consistent minutes.

Billy Tubbs was known as an offensive coach, but 4 of the 8 players he sent to the NBA (who played more than one year) were noted more for their defense. One of those was Anthony Bowie. I'd love for anyone on our team to become more like Anthony Bowie on the defensive side of the ball. I certainly wouldn't complain if Ray Willis becomes anywhere near as good on the offensive side as well.

Back