Ray Willis

Willie and Crocker will be gone, and Cade isnt the kind of talent that starts on a good team....

Two points:
1) Ray hasn't shown ANY ability from a physical or mental standpoint to be a starter on a good team.
2) An upperclassmen Cade Davis most certainly could start on a good team. IMO Cade is a better player than AJ. He's as good as a guy like Brady Morningstar. I think he'll be as good as a Justin Mason type this year.
I think he can be a Dave Seiger or Jeff Gueldner type as well. Cade really came on as a soph.

Two points:
1) Ray hasn't shown ANY ability from a physical or mental standpoint to be a starter on a good team.
2) An upperclassmen Cade Davis most certainly could start on a good team. IMO Cade is a better player than AJ. He's as good as a guy like Brady Morningstar. I think he'll be as good as a Justin Mason type this year.
I think he can be a Dave Seiger or Jeff Gueldner type as well. Cade really came on as a soph.

The only thing Cade does better than Mason is shoot from the 3pt line. Mason is an underrated player, started every game last year for Texas, and led Texas with 141 assists against 68 turnovers.

He does not shoot as well as Brady Morningstar, and if he keeps putting his shot up in the rafters he will never be as good as Morningstar. I dont see anything in Cade that leads me to believe he is anything more than a 10-15 minute per game guy off the bench.

Ray is a different type of talent than Cade....

The only thing Cade does better than Mason is shoot from the 3pt line.
Well that's kind of a big thing. :)
The only thing Dave Seiger ever did better than Justin Mason was shoot the ball as well. On a team with 2-3 other star players I take the pure shooter.

He does not shoot as well as Brady Morningstar,
Yes, he does.

I dont see anything in Cade that leads me to believe he is anything more than a 10-15 minute per game guy off the bench.
I haven't seen anything at all out of Ray Willis that leads me to believe he can play 5 minutes a game. Until I do, I just don't see how anyone can predict him as a starter the year after next. He's yet to take the game and team concept seriously. The heart of Cade Davis trumps anything Willis has brought to date. I'll take heart.

Outside of Warren and Crocker we don't have any wings taht can put a lot of minutes out there. That will be a big weakness.

Outside of Warren and Crocker we don't have any wings taht can put a lot of minutes out there. That will be a big weakness.

I think Cade will do just fine. He makes smart passes, doesn't turn the ball over, rebounds, and has improved as a defender. I also think that either Willis or Pledger will give some minutes. I am not worried about the guard play or guard depth next year at this point.

I don't understand why so many people are weak on Cade Davis.
I thought he made a big step forward from his freshmen to soph year.
I think he'll only continue to get better. He's got the shot, athleticism and attitude to be a very good player.

I don't understand why so many people are weak on Cade Davis.
I thought he made a big step forward from his freshmen to soph year.
I think he'll only continue to get better. He's got the shot, athleticism and attitude to be a very good player.

i agree 100% the kid works hard and seems to be in the right places at the right times... he needs to get his shot more consistent and then he will be fine

RAYWILLIS10_6150.JPG

I am curious to see what this board's thoughts/expectations are for this kid next season. The unfortunate stabbing and the drinking incident didn't really help Ray's cause last season. But from all accounts, he is a good kid (put himself in some bad situations) and a talented ball player.

It will be interesting to see how much he improves on his defensive intensity in practice.

I think he will be in the rotation next year and be our best scoring threat off the bench by conference play.

Your thoughts?

1. He looks like Barney Fife (I like Barney, btw).

2. He needs to swallow a first grader.

3. I think he's a gamer....and I agree that he could be a scoring threat off the bench.

I did not notice defensive issues as much as some poor offensive decision making when he was on the court. It seemed to me that he was forcing his game offensively in hopes of proving to the coaches he belonged on the court.

Last year Capel said he thought four players had the talent to potentially play in the NBA and one of the guys he named was Ray Willis. Based on that comment, I have high hopes for Ray.

1. He looks like Barney Fife (I like Barney, btw).

2. He needs to swallow a first grader.

3. I think he's a gamer....and I agree that he could be a scoring threat off the bench.

lol

Hopefully Szendrei will get Ray on a more legal diet.

I appreciate this thread because it has been a while since the "Cade Bashers" have had a chance to take some shots at him. People on this board will be very surprised at the athleticism that Cade will show this year. His role will be different, and that will allow his real game to be on display.

I appreciate this thread because it has been a while since the "Cade Bashers" have had a chance to take some shots at him. People on this board will be very surprised at the athleticism that Cade will show this year. His role will be different, and that will allow his real game to be on display.

I hope Cade takes on a leadership role, and shows the new guys how to work hard and bring it in practice.

Since the Chupacabra skipped town with a GPA that wreaked of Byron Hanspard, I guess I'll return to my first love from last season. To the slender young man who never met a jumper he didn't like or a lane he couldn't exploit.

"Gamma" Ray Willis!

Since the Chupacabra skipped town with a GPA that wreaked of Byron Hanspard, I guess I'll return to my first love from last season. To the slender young man who never met a jumper he didn't like or a lane he couldn't exploit.

"Gamma" Ray Willis!

:D I hope he does you proud, 04, so that you can rave about him in your recaps!

Back