Ray Willis

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
RAYWILLIS10_6150.JPG

I am curious to see what this board's thoughts/expectations are for this kid next season. The unfortunate stabbing and the drinking incident didn't really help Ray's cause last season. But from all accounts, he is a good kid (put himself in some bad situations) and a talented ball player.

It will be interesting to see how much he improves on his defensive intensity in practice.

I think he will be in the rotation next year and be our best scoring threat off the bench by conference play.

Your thoughts?

He looks like he has the potential to be a great scorer. Hopefully with his length he can be a good defender too.

He looks like he has the potential to be a great scorer. Hopefully with his length he can be a good defender too.

doc,

I agree. He has a really long wingspan (like AJs). Defense is all about effort and want-to. I hope Ray works hard this summer.

Before we even talk about his game, get that kid to a buffet first.

I think he will be a starter by his junior year and he will be a 6th man next year if he busts his butt this summer and plays some D.

Until he becomes 100% dedicated to everything it takes to be a very good Big 12 player combined with all the talent Capel is bringing in I just don't see him getting much run.
Hopefully that happens this season.

If he is still around for his junior/senior year I think he could be a good player. Somewhere between a Cade Davis and a Tony Crocker.

But the key is this year. I don't see him getting a lot of playing time with Cade, Tony and Willie Warren all back. He is going to have to beat out Stephen Pledger to get on the floor.

If he does that then maybe it propells him towards a decent career at OU. If he doesn't beat out Pledger by December I think he will transfer to play his final two years elsewhere. Thats usually how it works nowdays. Not many kids just sit around and wait their turn. Especially since he knows that he could wait until next year and Capel could bring in a MAA at his position and there he'd be, sitting on the bench as a junior/senior.

Its up to Ray ball is in his court. Kid has a chance to be a very good D-1player, he is blessed with length and smooth skills. It takes a strong commit to get better, Kobe starts his workout every morning at 5am there is a reason he is the best player in the world.

As others have already stated, Ray's contribution to the team this season is entirely up to him. He obviously has a scorers mentality. I saw enough offensive skills to convince me he could really help us if he matches his desire to score with a determined effort on defense and doing the right things off the court.

I was encouraged by his attitude on the bench and his support of the team during and after his suspension. I'm hoping that was a sign he has grown up some and the rough spots in his career so far are over.

A few are criticizing his defense, but I believe he will not move into the rotation until he understands the concept of "pass". You can't just jack it up everytime you get the ball... even though we all think we can. :)

I see Ray getting 10-15 minutes per game this year, and then starting his junior and senior years.

If he can learn how to play within the offense, give maximum effort on defense and gain 10-15 points, he could be a nice player. That's a lot of if's though.

Jacking shots probably has more to do with the amount of playing time he gets than anything else.... If I only played in blowouts I would be shooting every time I touched the ball too.

He is a scorer, and he has the mentality that his job is to put the ball in the hole. If he can play defense and run be a part of the offense (which he can), then he will be fine.

A few are criticizing his defense, but I believe he will not move into the rotation until he understands the concept of "pass". You can't just jack it up everytime you get the ball... even though we all think we can. :)

You bring up a good point. Learning to be a team player is something he will have to do if he wants to get into the rotation.

He never saw a shot he didn't like. :ez-laugh:

In all seriousness, he could bring some much need offense off the bench and if he bulked up and commits to it he could be perfectly fine on defense.

I see Ray getting 10-15 minutes per game this year, and then starting his junior and senior years.

Big I certainly value your opinion and hope you are right but I'm just curious what you've seen out of his game that makes you confident he will start as a Jr & Sr over some pretty good players.

Big I certainly value your opinion and hope you are right but I'm just curious what you've seen out of his game that makes you confident he will start as a Jr & Sr over some pretty good players.

Willie and Crocker will be gone, and Cade isnt the kind of talent that starts on a good team....

2011-2012 Starters
PG: TMG
SG: Pledger
SG: Willis
PF: Fitz
C: Gallon

Back