Recruit -- Timeline

luckyc1423

Reaction score
1) Pledger -- Committed 5/27/08
2) TMG -- Committed 7/21/08
3) Fitz -- Committed 10/19/08
4) Gallon -- Committed 11/19/08

Those are the lists of when those guys committed....We currently only have one player commited for the 2010 class. It looks like by mid october if we do not have ATLEAST one more solid commit the class could be in trouble...Or is this just a different class with different timelines?

Obviously you want to lock guys up early, but often times the more highly recruited players take a longer time deciding. OU is competing with some of the top programs in the country for several players and every team is going after them extremely hard.

If Capel wanted to have just another commitment.. there are some very solid players who would likely jump at the offer. On the other hand, he is in on some of the top players in the country.. and those guys normally drag things out longer. Kansas didn't get their FIRST commitment last year until October.. and OU is being mentioned alongside Kansas with several players.

So, OU could probably take a commitment right now, but teams don't usually win championships with just "very solid players".. Capel is going after the elite players that can get the Oklahoma basketball program to be a consistent powerhouse, not just once every few years.. with that comes some risk, but the potential reward is obviously far more appealing.. especially when you feel you have a good chance with several of those thought to be "pie in the sky" recruits.

So, no -- I don't think you (or anyone else) should think the class is in trouble without a commitment by October. A lot of players will make their decision over the next two months (leading up to signing day in early November). If OU still has just one commitment by then.. there may be a reason to sweat a little, but there was quite a bit of panic about replacing Blake Griffin before Tiny Gallon signed in November.

Last edited:
So, OU could probably take a commitment right now, but teams don't usually win championships with just "very solid players".. Capel is going after the elite players that can get the Oklahoma basketball program to be a consistent powerhouse, not just once every few years.. with that comes some risk, but the potential reward is obviously far more appealing.. especially when you feel you have a good chance with several of those thought to be "pie in the sky" recruits.

:clap

I'm glad somebody gets it.

:OUbball-logo:

Henzo is right on the money as usual. Expect this to be common among OU recruiting classes now. Especially when we are recruiting the cream of the crop. I think as a fan base we need to realize that we will miss on some of these guys too, but that's okay. We have to at least try to get in on these guys. If we can land one or two a year our program will hit the rafters. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Great post Henzo and thanks for saying it. Points well taken.

I agree with much of what Henzo said. However, the past has shown us that the spring signing period is basically the top 40 elite players, juco guys, and kids that D1 schools make reaches on. Personally, I think it's imperative that OU signs a couple of guys like Releford, Johnson, or Clark in the fall. If not, you're looking at OU having to sign a couple of guys like Harris, Jones, Smith, McCallum, Lamb, Barnes, etc. Of course that's going to be hard to do. The other option is the Juco route and I think OU has pretty much put the stamp on a couple of guys they can sign with no problem.

Back