Replacing Trae Young: Who the coaches are following on Twitter

Anyone else find it funny that some guys on here have already been clamoring over Trice and others have trashed the commitment of Kuath (mainly due to weight) and yet Kuath is ranked #13 on the list and Trice is #56?

I have not seen much of either guy but obviously rankings don't always tell the story either way. Just sort of made me laugh that we're asking for more talent and it seems like some have written Kuath off already before he steps on campus but are hoping that Trice commits to OU.

IF both make it in, maybe it'll light a fire under some of these other guys in terms of toughness/rebounding which is a major need in the post for this team.

Kuath is someone I think could develop into a really nice forward by the time he’s done here. He looks raw but he definitely has some elite length and athleticism. He could be special if he works his tail off.

Also checking in on JUCO PG from Hutch CC. name slips me.. Ill edit

Coach, a question for you, as someone in the know who understands the nuances of recruiting (which I certainly don't)...and I'll preface this with saying this is by no means whatsoever a criticism of Lon and the staff...

I just checked the Rivals 150 list (which I know is not the end-all, be-all) and there are four PG's in the top-112 who are undecided and OU's name doesn't appear next to any of them, as far as recruitment goes. I'm just wondering why we might not be at least tossing out feelers, especially after a season where we got coverage seemingly 24-7 b/c of Trae, which also helped to promote the style of guard-friendly offense we run. Which, in turn, I would think would be appealing to a PG who Lon could potentially sell on coming in right away and getting playing-time and/or likely starting, while playing in an offense that would really flatter their style.

And I understand it's easier said than done and easier than just making a call and saying "Hey, come here, we have a spot with a lot of minutes," but it seems we really need a PG and there does appear to be some unsigned talent out there.

Thanks!

Anyone else find it funny that some guys on here have already been clamoring over Trice and others have trashed the commitment of Kuath (mainly due to weight) and yet Kuath is ranked #13 on the list and Trice is #56?

I have not seen much of either guy but obviously rankings don't always tell the story either way. Just sort of made me laugh that we're asking for more talent and it seems like some have written Kuath off already before he steps on campus but are hoping that Trice commits to OU.

IF both make it in, maybe it'll light a fire under some of these other guys in terms of toughness/rebounding which is a major need in the post for this team.

I would rather see the coaching staff fill our needs with high school recruits who are good enough to contribute at a high level as juniors and seniors. An occasional one and done or close to that level would also be nice.

Since that seems to be asking too much of our coaching staff, guess we have no choice but to settle for juco players to fill needs. I couldn’t care less where Trice and Kauth are ranked. After reading about Trice and watching him go after every rebound and loose ball like he was the rightful owner on the videos I watched, I see him as our best option to fill a need our roster has been void of since Ryan Spangler graduated.

Trice is listed at 6’ 7” 240. Nearly every team we played last season had a high-motor big like him who killed us on the boards, because Lattin and McNeace were too light in the britches to compete with them inside.

Kauth is listed at 6’ 9” 173. Even if he was bigger, I don’t understand how anyone can overlook his stats at the juco level this season? In case you missed it, he’s averaging 11 points and 7 rebounds per game, while shooting 17% from three and 57% from the free throw line. He had better use his impressive athleticism and length to block a lot of shots to make up for his deficiencies on offense. If he signs with OU, I would love to be wrong about him.

Coach, a question for you, as someone in the know who understands the nuances of recruiting (which I certainly don't)...and I'll preface this with saying this is by no means whatsoever a criticism of Lon and the staff...

I just checked the Rivals 150 list (which I know is not the end-all, be-all) and there are four PG's in the top-112 who are undecided and OU's name doesn't appear next to any of them, as far as recruitment goes. I'm just wondering why we might not be at least tossing out feelers, especially after a season where we got coverage seemingly 24-7 b/c of Trae, which also helped to promote the style of guard-friendly offense we run. Which, in turn, I would think would be appealing to a PG who Lon could potentially sell on coming in right away and getting playing-time and/or likely starting, while playing in an offense that would really flatter their style.

And I understand it's easier said than done and easier than just making a call and saying "Hey, come here, we have a spot with a lot of minutes," but it seems we really need a PG and there does appear to be some unsigned talent out there.

Thanks!

I’m not a coach, but I think I can answer your question. De’Vion Harmon, a four star, top 50 nationally recruit is already committed in our 2019 class. Last time I checked, Denton Guyer was the #1 ranked team in the country.

Harmon is the real deal! No way our coaches will take a chance of causing him to consider other schools. A grad transfer with only one season to play would be ideal. Harmon will likely start and Shepherd will back him up in 2019 and 2020.

I’m not a coach, but I think I can answer your question. De’Vion Harmon, a four star, top 50 nationally recruit is already committed in our 2019 class. Last time I checked, Denton Guyer was the #1 ranked team in the country.

Harmon is the real deal! No way our coaches will take a chance of causing him to consider other schools. A grad transfer with only one season to play would be ideal. Harmon will likely start and Shepherd will back him up in 2019 and 2020.

Right on, that makes perfect sense and something I overlooked. Thanks Ada!

Right on, that makes perfect sense and something I overlooked. Thanks Ada!

You’re welcome, NY Soonerfan!

OU is also recruiting Harmon’s 6’ 6” teammate, Jalen Wilson. He’s another top 50 ranked recruit. KU offered him a couple of months ago, which may be the reason he hasn’t committed to OU by now. I say that because I know his entire family, including his mother, are big time Sooner fans. Let’s hope Self’s line of BS and the Phogg’s bright lights don’t lure him away from us!

So who is Oklahoma’s next point guard? The answer is TBD, but here are some candidates from Cody Stavenhagen:

Jamal Bieniemy

6-3, 170, incoming freshman (Tompkins HS, Katy, Texas)

Jamal Bienemy is the most promising member of OU’s incoming recruiting class so far, a four-star versatile combo guard who has a good chance to earn minutes right away. Bieniemy’s best chance at earning a major role would mean becoming OU’s starting point guard. The problem there is he plays more off the ball and figures to be best suited as a shooting guard.

At least at the high school level, Bienemy is a rangy defender with good athleticism and an ability to attack the basket. It’ll be hard for the OU staff to know how his game translates until he arrives at OU this summer.

spot on!

Shepherd will be a Senior when Harmon is a Freshmen. They will only play one year together.

Maybe....

I was speaking to they don’t want to bring in another pup. They want the keys to be Harmon’s

Mark it down, Harmon will start as a freshman. He’s that good. I think Shepherd knows he wii be a back up if he is still on the roster when Harmon gets to OU. That may be one of the reasons He is rumored to be considering a transfer.

Mark it down, Harmon will start as a freshman. He’s that good. I think Shepherd knows he wii be a back up if he is still on the roster when Harmon gets to OU. That may be one of the reasons He is rumored to be considering a transfer.

I think if he wants to play more, he should consider a transfer. I agree that Harmon starts and plays serious minutes from day 1. With a grad transfer coming next year, I don't see a lot of minutes for Shepherd at OU.

Kevin Kruger recently started following Lavar Norman, a 2018 guard from Grand Rapids, Michigan. Was previously committed to UTEP.

Godwin Heights' Lamar Norman continues to mull over offers: http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/02/godwin_heights_lamar_norman_co.html

OU hasn't offered but like I said above Kruger is following him and he now follows Kruger and Crutchfield.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/lamar-norman-jr-179969

https://247sports.com/player/lamar-norman-94622

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLGNoe0X5II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0aICcDRmqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UjqmAk11i0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B94zM4pQVWA

He retweets a lot of Trae Young and Buddy Hield: https://twitter.com/LamarNorman04

I think if he wants to play more, he should consider a transfer. I agree that Harmon starts and plays serious minutes from day 1. With a grad transfer coming next year, I don't see a lot of minutes for Shepherd at OU.

Agreed. My confidence level in Shepherd took a serious hit after watching him play lat season. That’s why I’m eager to see our coaches sign a grad transfer to run the offense.

Back