Richy Peters tidbit

Henzo

Reaction score
I just spoke with Oklahoma commitment Richy Peters, Canada native and current Brewster Academy big man. He was a commitment for the 2011 class, but after talking it over with Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel he has decided to reclassify himself to the 2012 class. He is currently considered a sophomore at Brewster Academy, one of the top basketball academy's in the country.

"I talked to coach (Capel) with it," Peters said. "He said he thinks it would be better both for me and OU cause he knows what the head coach of Brewster is all about and I wouldn't be missin' a lot if I took one more year (at Brewster)."

So, as of now Oklahoma has one commitment for the 2012 and zero for the 2011 class.

He was considered a top 100 player for the 2011 class and will likely be considered even higher in the 2012 class as his body matures and he continues to progress his game under coach Jason Smith.

Oklahoma freshman post Andrew Fitzgerald also spent time at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.

Last edited:
He should move up pretty high on the top 100 lists, moving to 2012 class. Did Drew and Richy play together or know each other at least. Capel makes good connections, doesn't he. I bet he has networked him self to the top. Thats great for recruiting.

He should move up pretty high on the top 100 lists, moving to 2012 class. Did Drew and Richy play together or know each other at least. Capel makes good connections, doesn't he. I bet he has networked him self to the top. Thats great for recruiting.

They never played with one another. Peters only recently made the move to Brewster Academy. I did a big piece on Richy a few months back. He is quite the character. If you didn't see it before, be sure to check it out. He's an entertaining guy:

Link: Canadian center ready to take game to OU

I am sure he made the right decision for himself. He doesn't need force himself into college if he isn't ready.

EDIT: BTW thanks for all the update Henzo

I would say that makes the need for a big to commit pretty important...

I would say that hints that "someone" who he talked it over with may feel pretty good about a big this year!

I wonder what the deciding factor was. Peters looked mature enough to come to OU in a couple of years. Maybe this is a grade thing? Regardless, he should come in highly touted.

I would say that makes the need for a big to commit pretty important...

Agreed, one more year in the gap after tiny and orlando could be gone.

On another note, the way you talk about him Henzo it sounds like he isn't even wavering on his choice. Moving to the 2012 class makes his signing day even further away, how sure are you that he will stay with us. I guess if he loves Capel it should be easy but now on the east coast could he get lured by all the Big East/ACC teams?

dahldennsull said:
On another note, the way you talk about him Henzo it sounds like he isn't even wavering on his choice. Moving to the 2012 class makes his signing day even further away, how sure are you that he will stay with us. I guess if he loves Capel it should be easy but now on the east coast could he get lured by all the Big East/ACC teams?

Most players I'd feel very much that way. With Richy, I would be naive to completely rule it out, but I feel the guy is completely sold on Oklahoma already. He has such a great relationship with the OU coaching staff. He went to Brewster Academy at the suggestion of the OU coaching staff. He consulted with the OU staff before reclassifying. He's already sporting his OU attire around campus at Brewster.. a change can certainly happen, but having talked to him many times, he's not a guy who seems as if he'd waiver.

Something is happening here...what it is ain't exactly clear. I'd like to think a combination of better news on some bigs that we do not know about along with a kid that wants to get more acclimated schoolwise.

I don't think it's too big of a story. He mentioned that he is currently a sophomore anyway, so I think he was aiming to graduate early and get to OU as soon as he could. Instead of rushing through high school, Capel agreed with Peters that it would be okay to hold off and take his time and enjoy his experience at Brewster.

But maybe Capel also knows that letting Peters mature another year wouldn't be a bad thing since he won't be a huge need with Fitz, Hardrick, and hopefully Terrence Jones all manning the 4 in the upcoming years. You might even have someone else by then that we don't even know about splitting some minutes as well...

Back