Sadly I’ve tried

Winning and atmosphere…will bring fans and better players/coaches.

I do think seating needs to improve… get students down to the floor.

Winning and atmosphere…will bring fans and better players/coaches.

I do think seating needs to improve… get students down to the floor.

Yep. Trying something different is a good idea. But the arena wasn’t a problem when Tubbs had the nation’s longest home winning streak and it was LOUD in there. Winning is contagious for everyone and it doesn’t have to change overnight.

I’m not buying into the field house of dreams philosophy, build it and they will come. The other one that says if it is smaller it won’t look so empty on TV is even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like the poured concrete look, would rather have that than everything covered in cheap veneers.

It is an oval instead of having the seats a rectangle coming right off the court. I think that is most people's problem with it. The oval does have a nice feature that people don't think about. Everyone is facing the center of the court without having to turn your head any.

I don't care about suites.

They need to have more people checking tickets, I hate standing in a such a long slow line to get in. In Billy's days they place was packed and the lines were much shorter and faster.

They need faster concessions. I would buy a coke or beer and a snack, but not worth the wait. Would be nice if they had people selling drinks in the stands too.

Last edited:
Yep. Trying something different is a good idea. But the arena wasn’t a problem when Tubbs had the nation’s longest home winning streak and it was LOUD in there. Winning is contagious for everyone and it doesn’t have to change overnight.

I’m not buying into the field house of dreams philosophy, build it and they will come. The other one that says if it is smaller it won’t look so empty on TV is even worse.

The argument is NOT, build it and they will come. The argument is, the arena is terrible and has a negative impact on recruits, players, and fans experience. The arena is a big piece of the program but it’s not the only thing. The coaching staff, the arena, the donor and admin support, NIL, fan support, etc. It’s all important.

If we want to compete like we did in Tubbs heyday, a new arena is needed, but nobody is saying a new arena will fix everything. Every aspect of the program needs an upgrade and replacing the decrepit dying LNC is part of that too.

replacing the decrepit dying LNC is part of that too.

Is it decrepit, though? Is anything broken? Is the upholstery on the seats ripped? Are pipes leaking? Or is just not shiny and new? I've not been to LNC in a few years, but when I last went, nothing was broken, malfunctioning or worn out. It just wasn't shiny and new. In fact, it looked pretty as it always has.

Decrepit
adjective

1: wasted and weakened by or as if by the infirmities of old age
a decrepit old man

2a: impaired by use or wear : worn-out
a decrepit school bus
b: fallen into ruin or disrepair
a decrepit industry

3: dilapidated, run-down
an old, decrepit hotel

Some of ya'll are high f'ing maintenance. I've never once sat at LNC and though that the facility itself was keeping me from enjoying myself.

Same reason OU fans don't think that about the Cotton Bowl every October. Its about the teams and the game. Does LNC and its current condition become an issue when our team sucks? Sure. Win some dang games and people will talk about the team instead.

The argument is NOT, build it and they will come. The argument is, the arena is terrible and has a negative impact on recruits, players, and fans experience. The arena is a big piece of the program but it’s not the only thing. The coaching staff, the arena, the donor and admin support, NIL, fan support, etc. It’s all important.

If we want to compete like we did in Tubbs heyday, a new arena is needed, but nobody is saying a new arena will fix everything. Every aspect of the program needs an upgrade and replacing the decrepit dying LNC is part of that too.

We agree that a new arena won’t fix everything. The current arena also doesn’t seem to be negatively impacting women’s gymnastics. Seems like people are willing to sit there when the team is good and that recruiting is easier when the team is good. New arena is fine but way down my priority list for OU men’s basketball.

Last edited:
Some of ya'll are high f'ing maintenance. I've never once sat at LNC and though that the facility itself was keeping me from enjoying myself.

Same reason OU fans don't think that about the Cotton Bowl every October. Its about the teams and the game. Does LNC and its current condition become an issue when our team sucks? Sure. Win some dang games and people will talk about the team instead.

Yep.

BINGO!

I've never thought of that comparison but it is spot on....I would add that if ALL the games were played there, the tune might be different.

Everyone that argues against a new arena makes apples and oranges comparisons. Comparing today to the 1980’s? Comparing LNC to a neutral site rivalry game in the cotton bowl? LOL.

Yes, the on court product sucks. Yes the LNC sucks. Both can be true at the same time. And yes, we should absolutely fix both. It’s not one or the other.

The LNC is the WORST arena in the Big12. The fact that so many of you don’t see that as a problem is alarming. We have the worst arena, the worst team, and the worst coaching staff in the Big12. By all means, keep making excuses.

Everyone that argues against a new arena makes apples and oranges comparisons. Comparing today to the 1980’s? Comparing LNC to a neutral site rivalry game in the cotton bowl? LOL.

Yes, the on court product sucks. Yes the LNC sucks. Both can be true at the same time. And yes, we should absolutely fix both. It’s not one or the other.

The LNC is the WORST arena in the Big12. The fact that so many of you don’t see that as a problem is alarming. We have the worst arena, the worst team, and the worst coaching staff in the Big12. By all means, keep making excuses.

What interesting is the distinction between football and basketball.... In football, we are told we need all that TV money to win the facilities arms race. In basketball, we are told the facilities don't mean anything.

It is the worst arena in the Big12. I’m not sure about all SEC venues, but LNC will be one of the worst. Many G5 programs have upgraded their arenas to surpass LNC. Recruits, players, coaches and fans all notice.

The seating design and sight lines aren’t great. The concrete everywhere is terrible and gives a mausoleum vibe. There are literally concrete beams blocking the fans view in some places. The fans are still too far away from the court. Open concourses and no suites, heck, even the paint isn’t crimson. It’s more orange.

So. Yes. It’s terrible.

The concrete beams don't block views of the court unless you're standing on the top behind one of the beams, which hasn't been an issue in years. The paint on the court is crimson, I think you're about the hardback seats which when new were a bright red. They have faded with age.

The worst part of the LNC is the fact the court is so far from the stands. They have tried to correct that but behind the goals is a lot of dead space and it would be louder if the seats could go all the way to the floor but we've known this for years.

It's old but no way is it remotely close to the arena's TCU (used to play in) and Baylor currently uses. Hilton Coliseum is the same age as LNC and it's still a great arena so it's not the fact it's old (AF is even older), it's the fact the seats don't go to the floor.

The concrete beams don't block views of the court unless you're standing on the top behind one of the beams, which hasn't been an issue in years. The paint on the court is crimson, I think you're about the hardback seats which when new were a bright red. They have faded with age.

The worst part of the LNC is the fact the court is so far from the stands. They have tried to correct that but behind the goals is a lot of dead space and it would be louder if the seats could go all the way to the floor but we've known this for years.

It's old but no way is it remotely close to the arena's TCU (used to play in) and Baylor currently uses. Hilton Coliseum is the same age as LNC and it's still a great arena so it's not the fact it's old (AF is even older), it's the fact the seats don't go to the floor.

agree with all ..

i would also say that sitting in the upper part of LNC gives a much much better fan experience then sitting up top at GIA which is a terrible place to watch a game unless you are in the first 15 rows ..

of course OU does need a new building for a ton of reasons ..

i don't like the current proposal to put the new "OU" arena out north of Norman proper but i DO think it's time for the university to accept they MORE than got their moneys' worth the 45 years of the Lloyd Noble Center.

i think it has good sight lines....and can still get loud....i was at the Texas game in December.

any more facilities upgrades there seems like following old money with bad money.

the 70's era BIg 8 cookie cutter arenas, Hearnes Center etc.....i live in Boulder part of the year.....and amazing CU still has their's.....Coors Event Center is the same.

Last edited:
i don't like the current proposal to put the new "OU" arena out north of Norman proper but i DO think it's time for the university to accept they MORE than got their moneys' worth the 45 years of the Lloyd Noble Center.

i think it has good sight lines....and can still get loud....i was at the Texas game in December.

any more facilities upgrades there seems like following old money with bad money.

the 70's era cookie cutter arenas.....i live in Boulder part of the year.....and amazing CU still has their's.....Coors Event Center is the same.

OU basketball fans just don't want to admit that there isn't an easy fix. I honestly think Joe C. and his crew are working on it, but they also want to get it right. Things complicating the decision:

1. Current economy post-COVID, and what that does to potential contributions to OU athletics, specifically basketball.

2. Having a program that has been struggling, both on the court and with fan support.

3. The imminent move to the SEC. Specifically, if we wait there should be more money coming in starting in a couple of years.

4. Having to pay $50M to get us out of the Big 12 early. That has to come from somewhere, right?

5. Having other secondary (to football) sports doing so well. Softball has earned some upgrades. Baseball just played for a national championship.

6. Location. Football is about to undertake some large projects. Maybe waiting to see what is left over in that part of campus makes sense. LNC, we've been told, would be hard to overhaul given water table levels. I doubt anybody loves the idea of moving it off campus to North Norman, and not even having it belong to OU/OU basketball. The practice facilities are still really nice. LOTS to think about and get RIGHT.

7. I've heard nothing big is likely to happen until the SEC move and some of the football upgrades are done in a couple of years. Then basketball should be the next big project.

7. I've heard nothing big is likely to happen until the SEC move and some of the football upgrades are done in a couple of years. Then basketball should be the next big project.

this is why the UNP project is even on the table ... because OU would not have to pay for most/all of it ..

this is why the UNP project is even on the table ... because OU would not have to pay for most/all of it ..

I know. But I've heard OU really doesn't like it, and would prefer something on campus. Of course, saving some money might win out in the end.

I know. But I've heard OU really doesn't like it, and would prefer something on campus. Of course, saving some money might win out in the end.

i think this is very much the case

and i think it is both saving money and the time frame that it could actually happen ..

Back