Sadly I’ve tried

agree with all ..

i would also say that sitting in the upper part of LNC gives a much much better fan experience then sitting up top at GIA which is a terrible place to watch a game unless you are in the first 15 rows ..

of course OU does need a new building for a ton of reasons ..

it's also better than sitting in the nosebleeds at AF, which I sat in back in 2018.

Whoever said the oval shape gives great sight lines because you can always look straight ahead and see the entire court was spot-on. There's never a need to turn your head or keep your head turned for long periods of time which at my age causes neck stiffness the next day.

Does the LNC need to be replaced? I think due to the issues I already stated -- the seats can't be brought to the floor -- yes I think it probably does. I also think the location of it is not ideal for getting student participation so if that could be solved then I'm all for it. However, moving it further away from campus as they have discussed is asinine, IMO. It's too bad they didn't just put it where the new football facility is being built -- the sight of the indoor track building -- or when that's done how about where the current indoor facility is located? There's space there, maybe not ample parking but use the parking for Owen Field for basketball then.

But if anyone thinks replacing the LNC is going to make the program magically better, you are sadly mistaken. It won't.

You watch Rodney Terry's press conference... holy crap, what a man. He got the job and it's impossible to not root for that guy. Never been jealous of a Texas coach, but man, they got a steal in Rodney Terry. OU fan or not, I am rooting for that dude. So great that he got the job.

You watch Rodney Terry's press conference... holy crap, what a man. He got the job and it's impossible to not root for that guy. Never been jealous of a Texas coach, but man, they got a steal in Rodney Terry. OU fan or not, I am rooting for that dude.

Hope he's as good as mike Anderson!

You watch Rodney Terry's press conference... holy crap, what a man. He got the job and it's impossible to not root for that guy. Never been jealous of a Texas coach, but man, they got a steal in Rodney Terry. OU fan or not, I am rooting for that dude. So great that he got the job.

yeah it is really easy to route for him to fail he is the HC of texas

it's also better than sitting in the nosebleeds at AF, which I sat in back in 2018.

Whoever said the oval shape gives great sight lines because you can always look straight ahead and see the entire court was spot-on. There's never a need to turn your head or keep your head turned for long periods of time which at my age causes neck stiffness the next day.

Does the LNC need to be replaced? I think due to the issues I already stated -- the seats can't be brought to the floor -- yes I think it probably does. I also think the location of it is not ideal for getting student participation so if that could be solved then I'm all for it. However, moving it further away from campus as they have discussed is asinine, IMO. It's too bad they didn't just put it where the new football facility is being built -- the sight of the indoor track building -- or when that's done how about where the current indoor facility is located? There's space there, maybe not ample parking but use the parking for Owen Field for basketball then.

But if anyone thinks replacing the LNC is going to make the program magically better, you are sadly mistaken. It won't.

very much agree with all of this

Of course you will root for him. You post stats and long winded arguments every year why osu and others are so much better than we are because the coaches never listen to your juco recommendations.

If the problem is seats not being close enough to the court, I have a crazy idea. Lower the court further down. Then bring the seats down to the edge of the court.

If they really wanted to build a new arena on campus and closer to the students, they could tear down Marita Hines and the tennis courts at the corner of Timberdell and Jenkins. There would be plenty of room in that spot. Unless there is something else planned there I don’t know about.

They could also put it where the outdoor track is and build a new track facility where LNC is now.

That’s if they really wanted to build a new facility!!!

If they really wanted to build a new arena on campus and closer to the students, they could tear down Marita Hines and the tennis courts at the corner of Timberdell and Jenkins. There would be plenty of room in that spot. Unless there is something else planned there I don’t know about.

They could also put it where the outdoor track is and build a new track facility where LNC is now.

That’s if they really wanted to build a new facility!!!

the outdoor track facility is getting torn down

that is where the new football facility is going ..

If the problem is seats not being close enough to the court, I have a crazy idea. Lower the court further down. Then bring the seats down to the edge of the court.

They looked into that years ago but can't go any lower due to the water table. That is what they said back then and that was sometime during the Sampson era which is when they brought the bleachers in put more seats around the court. So, unless something with the water table has changed digging it deeper isn't an option.

the outdoor track facility is getting torn down

that is where the new football facility is going ..

Yeah, in one of my replies I said the indoor track facility, it's actually the outdoor track.

However, the location of the current indoor facility could be a spot, not sure if it's large enough. It's too bad they can't put it where the football practice field is located, that would be perfect because the south endzone could be used for both the football field and the new arena. (football using the north side and basketball using the south side; would need some work to put stands there or whatever).

Yeah, in one of my replies I said the indoor track facility, it's actually the outdoor track.

However, the location of the current indoor facility could be a spot, not sure if it's large enough. It's too bad they can't put it where the football practice field is located, that would be perfect because the south endzone could be used for both the football field and the new arena. (football using the north side and basketball using the south side; would need some work to put stands there or whatever).

the perfect spot is at the NE corner of Brooks and Jenkins

Is a major restoration or tearing down and rebuilding over McCasland(sp) an option? That seems like it would be a really good location, I'm just not sure about the size. Parking could be an issue as well.

I mean to discuss earlier when I listed items impacting OU's speed on doing something, and I think determining a size for the arena factors in too. I get it, we can probably go smaller, but I don't think it's smart to throw money away if they under-estimate future fan interest. That could improve with a better team, the move to the SEC, or who knows. I'd rather build a little too big than a little too small.

Is a major restoration or tearing down and rebuilding over McCasland(sp) an option? That seems like it would be a really good location, I'm just not sure about the size. Parking could be an issue as well.

I mean to discuss earlier when I listed items impacting OU's speed on doing something, and I think determining a size for the arena factors in too. I get it, we can probably go smaller, but I don't think it's smart to throw money away if they under-estimate future fan interest. That could improve with a better team, the move to the SEC, or who knows. I'd rather build a little too big than a little too small.

I'd rather go a little too small than too big. Attendance across the country doesn't seem to be trending up, and there isn't much you can do with empty seats. A few thousand empty seats can turn an electric crowd into ho-hum real quick.

Wonder if the Griffin Family Training center has any impact on a decision to build elsewhere?

they did a feasabliity study of mcasland in the 00's and it is not a viable option to renovate/addon and tearing it down is a non starter ..

reno of LNC was like 75-90 mil price tag in 08ish it would be 150 + today ..

It seems once upon a time I heard they could not lower the floor of the LNC enough to do that because of the water table

It seems once upon a time I heard they could not lower the floor of the LNC enough to do that because of the water table

that issue was going to something like double the cost of the renovation .. which made is not feasible ..

This has been looked at multiple times and it can’t be done. Not sure why.

The LK staff was 100% in favor of off campus arena. The students are close to LNC and don’t go anyway. Attendance won’t be magically cured but anyone who doesn’t live near the LNC will have a much easier time going to the game.
The biggest problem is once fans quit going to the games they realize it’s much easier to watch on TV. And when we are bad, fans don’t even watch on TV.

Back