Softball

Then why does the RPI say the home team will win 67% of the time even when the visiting team is far better?

So either the RPI is all messed up - or your statement above is totally wrong.

While I agree a neutral field would be ideal for the whole tournament. The reality of TV and attendance needs are not going to let that happen. Hence the need to have some home field advantage. Given that reality you do not play the game in Fargo and disadvantage the best teams. You give the advantage to the teams that earned on the field.

If you can devise a better system do so an elaborate. Easy to bithc but difficult to rectify. The object of the tournament is to get the best teams in the final not two also rans.

While I agree a neutral field would be ideal for the whole tournament. The reality of TV and attendance needs are not going to let that happen. Hence the need to have some home field advantage. Given that reality you do not play the game in Fargo and disadvantage the best teams. You give the advantage to the teams that earned on the field.

If you can devise a better system do so an elaborate. Easy to bithc but difficult to rectify. The object of the tournament is to get the best teams in the final not two also rans.

Part of it is very, very easy: Don't raise a teams RPI for loss after loss after loss.

Truly a dumb system - and simply guarantees the system violates your primary point above: It requires the better team to go on the road to the weaker team's home field/court. Really a dumb system. That isn't griping. It's mathematics - and intelligence.

I thought it was a steady, workman like performance all around. If a hitter got on, Paige and the rest of the team just played a solid game.

Our bats showed up. I think the Tulsa pitcher threw a good game or we would have clubbed them because we were swinging the bat pretty good.

There didn't seem to be a lack of confidence or focus.

Again, I so wish OWBB would coach and play like that.

Part of it is very, very easy: Don't raise a teams RPI for loss after loss after loss.

Truly a dumb system - and simply guarantees the system violates your primary point above: It requires the better team to go on the road to the weaker team's home field/court. Really a dumb system. That isn't griping. It's mathematics - and intelligence.

Doubt you have a degree in mathematics nor based on your statements your grasp of numbers is comparable to mine and my master degree in statistics and decades of experience. Moreover you self proclaimed intelligence could use some common sense. The math used to calculate SOS appears to be sound and comprehensive but without documented verification cannot be totally confirmed by anyone but the committee and the schools. Hence the need for transparency.

It is obvious by the weighting mechanism that the powers that be see the key ingredient to ranking the teams is the SOS which accounts for 75% of the rpi rankings. It calculates the weighed won loss factors for approximately 1900 games that directly or indirectly impacts each individual team and 35 years of historical evidence as to its accuracy.

You may not like that method, which is your right, but with no evidence to the contrary, you are ill qualified or prepared to dispute their calculations using nothing more than a typical WBB fan's emotions as a justification.

If you don't feel SOS should be the primary factor in ranking the teams that is another issue but that too also need more than an opinion to substantiate your the validity of your dispute. Ignorance is bliss!

Doubt you have a degree in mathematics nor based on your statements your grasp of numbers is comparable to mine and my master degree in statistics and decades of experience. Moreover you self proclaimed intelligence could use some common sense. The math used to calculate SOS appears to be sound and comprehensive but without documented verification cannot be totally confirmed by anyone but the committee and the schools. Hence the need for transparency.

It is obvious by the weighting mechanism that the powers that be see the key ingredient to ranking the teams is the SOS which accounts for 75% of the rpi rankings. It calculates the weighed won loss factors for approximately 1900 games that directly or indirectly impacts each individual team and 35 years of historical evidence as to its accuracy.

You may not like that method, which is your right, but with no evidence to the contrary, you are ill qualified or prepared to dispute their calculations using nothing more than a typical WBB fan's emotions as a justification.

If you don't feel SOS should be the primary factor in ranking the teams that is another issue but that too also need more than an opinion to substantiate your the validity of your dispute. Ignorance is bliss!

Blah, blah, blah!!!

It's against board rules, so I won't call you a blowhard.

It is not softball but it is March Madness results since going to 64 teams in 1985. The formula for the two sports only differ in weighting factors for the two sports. When look at the results for the Sweet 16, Elite Eight, Final Four, Championship Game and Champion. This results and seedings have a very high correlation and the achievement by seed is very linear from #1 seeds (seeds 1-4) to #16 seed (seeds 61-64).

The #1-4 seeds won the championship 59.% of the time and 1-16 seeds won the tournament 90.6% of the time. 17-32 seeds won it all 9.4% of the time and no one below a #8 seed (#29-32).

The rpi seeding program is definitely working as designed.

http://bracketodds.cs.illinois.edu/seedadv.html

Nothing else left to say.

Last edited:
I love the fight and never-quit strength and ability of this team.

I don't know whether it's the coaching staff or the players, but it is truly amazing

The job Gasso, her staff and players are doing is shining example of what college athletics can be and the good it can do.

Frankly, I wish we could bottle this and make Sherri, her staff and her players drink a big dose every day. They give up more than any OU team I've every seen.

Here's an interesting comment I ran across on a national softball board:

"Lastly, I'm tired of OUs dominance in women's athletics. Can ya talk to KJ and ask her to take a year or two off?"

Just thought it was interesting.

link: http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/auburn-super-regional-8516269

Don't we feel the same way about Alabama football?

Definitely don't think that way about Mark Williams, OU men's gymnastics coach either. He became the OU head coach in 2000. He has won 8 national championships including the last 3. He has 7 national runner-ups, 2 third place finishes and a 4th place finish in his 18 years. Was also elected to the Hall of Fame. K.J. has a ways to go to catch Mark.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210363554

Yeah, I DO feel that way about Alabama football. But, really what was interesting to me was that someone on a national board was complaining about OU's dominance in women's athletics".

Just thought it was funny considering all the stuff I have read lately on OU boards about the OU women's basketball team and comparisons to the OU women's gymnastics and softball teams.

Yeah, I DO feel that way about Alabama football. But, really what was interesting to me was that someone on a national board was complaining about OU's dominance in women's athletics".

Just thought it was funny considering all the stuff I have read lately on OU boards about the OU women's basketball team and comparisons to the OU women's gymnastics and softball teams.
The poster appears to be from a SEC school. Most of OU's competition in gymnastics is from the SEC---Alabama, LSU, Florida---Georgia not so much any more, although the Georgia/Alabama duels probably built a pillar of women's gymnastics. They might place more emphasis on KJ than might someone from another conference.

Question: which draws more fans at Alabama, Florida, or LSU---the women's basketball team or the women's gymnastics team?

http://www.secsports.com/article/13210478/sec-leads-women-basketball-attendance

http://www.rolltide.com/news/2016/5/6/Alabama_Gymnastics_Among_Women_s_Attendance_Leaders_Again.aspx

Gymnastics attendance much greater. Generally speaking 2-3 times as large as WBB.

OU listed attendance at last 4 home gymnastics meets ranged from 3,035 for Denver to 4,258 for Georgia. Attendance as the last 4 OU home WBB games ranged from 3,074 or OSU to 6,038 for Texas and 4,804 for Baylor.

WG is at an attendance disadvantage in that OSU, Texas or Baylor have gymnastics teams. OU's conference gymnastic opponents are Denver, ISU and WVU. Their big meets were against UCLA, Georgia, Alabama and LSU. Top 10 teams but not rivals.

http://www.rolltide.com/news/2016/5/6/Alabama_Gymnastics_Among_Women_s_Attendance_Leaders_Again.aspx

Last edited:
Back