Softball

What is the forecast for tonight? In Lawton, it's pretty damp and there's been some flash flooding.

I'm guessing that some folks on this site want to figure out a way to blame Sherri for the four errors last night.

15% chance of precipitation, per Weather.com.

I have a question of my own:

In the opening games yesterday, all of the higher seeds were awarded "home" team status, that is to say, they batted in the bottom of the inning.

Will this continue throughout the tournament? My thinking is that after the first round is completed, that "home" team status should be determined by coin flip. In the best of 3 championship round, it should definitely alternate.

Why penalize the teams that were poorly seeded? Half of the teams in the WCWS were poorly seeded, IMO.

Can anyone provide the answer?

I think it continues through this round, probably into the finals if Florida remains undefeated. Once defeated, the undefeated team will be the home seed.

After we lost our first regional game, everyone kept talking about how we were trying to be the 8th team (2%) to lose the first game and make it to the super regional. Anyone know how many (if any) of those first 7 teams made it to the WCWS after losing their first regional game?

BALLGAME! Won it 3-1.

I think you guys might approve of that performance from Parker.

Four times in five years that we have been this far. Now, a day off won't hurt.

Nice work by both Paige's. The defense was as good tonight as it was bad last night. That play by Sydney got her back on track. Got the HR for her first hit, and then had another great play on a slap with Shay stretching.

Does it seem that Hatfield has had more catches than in the entire season?

Nice job of fielding by the OU women tonight, two nice plays by Romero, and an outstanding leap and grab by Clifton in the 4th inning

Great win for our Sooners!

The win was especially gratifying for me, after I had to listen to the broadcast crew's UDub worship the entire game. It was so one sided at times, I had to check the screen to make sure OU hadn't left the stadium. Too bad the game didn't go into extra innings so we could hear about the players and coaches family pets. ;)

Back on a positive note, that win will allow Parker to take today off and be ready to start the game on Sunday. Despite my rant about the ESPN broadcast crew, I'm very happy with the position we're in right now.

The win was especially gratifying for me, after I had to listen to the broadcast crew's UDub worship the entire game. It was so one sided at times, I had to check the screen to make sure OU hadn't left the stadium. Too bad the game didn't go into extra innings so we could hear about the players and coaches family pets. ;)

Back on a positive note, that win will allow Parker to take today off and be ready to start the game on Sunday. Despite my rant about the ESPN broadcast crew, I'm very happy with the position we're in right now.

I agree Ada.

It's going to be tough for any team to beat the Sooners twice in bracket play. I love Lowary coming out of the pen with all that heat. I'm sure it looks 10 mph quicker after facing Parker the first couple times through the order.

UCLA pitching coach extremely likely to be suspended for the next two games after chest-bumping umpire. Per NCAA rule book, it calls for a two game suspension.

Amen to that. The broadcast crew was sickeningly pumping and promoting W the entire game. The Sooners shut that crap up with the big W.

As she should be!

Agreed. A coach should never be allowed to make contact with an official, without paying the price for their mistake.

Fernandez lost control protesting a correct call, likely a carryover from an incorrect obstruction call against UCLA in the LSU game. Still, if the NCAA rule about contacting an official means anything, she will be suspended for the next two games, providing the Bruins make it that far.

Just saw on the ESPN scroll that Fernandez has been suspended for two games.

Any amateur opinions on Oregon??
A good matchup for OU?

My take after watching all of the super-regional and WCWS games is Oregon is the worst match-up for the Sooners among the 3 potential opponents Oregon, Baylor and LSU is my order.

First the Ducks playing in the Pac 12 which had teams ranked #2, #3, #4 and #5 in the final rpi (not seedings)might indicate a must stronger level of competition than even the SEC which may have had more depth but not near the number of top quality teams.

Second statistically Oregon is very similar to Baylor offensively with an emphasis on small ball and against Baylor this year their small ball offense forced the Sooners to make 7 errors and allow 4 unearned runs in 4 games. We can ill afford to be giving up any unearned runs and expect a win. I think small teams are more difficult for OU to play than power teams.

Third comparing Oregon to Baylor offensively Oregon had a better BA, scored 110 more runs on the season, better OB% and a better SLG%. Also Oregon had about a half a run better ERA (1.40 vs 1.88)

Fourth Oregon like OU has three pitchers with over 100 innings pitched, two (1.22 & 1.27) with ERA's similar to Parker (1.24) and one with a 1.81. So they should be able to withstand the stress of playing 4 games in two day much better than Baylor or LSU with their two quality pitchers.

Fifth for the season Oregon's (.968) fielding percentage is slightly behind Baylor (.972) and OU (.977) which I see as similar defenses and expect we will try to pressure the Oregon defense by being aggressive on the bases.

I think the big difference between OU and Oregon is first Paige Parker being a money pitcher she is and second OU's WCWS experience and third OU having more power in the lineup.

It should be noted that the Ducks seemed to come out of their power issue funk somewhat yesterday with as many extra base hits (7) as they had in their previous 6 NCAA playoff games.

I would like to see us get out to a 2 run lead early and mitigate somewhat their ability to run which might stymie their offense somewhat. Also a big key is keeping their two lead-off hitters off base as they were the top two base stealers in the Pac-12.

Back