Softball

Nice analysis, Spock. I tend to agree that Oregon (of the three potential opponents for OU in the Semi-Final) is our toughest matchup.
And their pitching depth, as you noted, is comparable to OU's.
One bright note: Oregon's ace pitcher, Kleist, if she pitches today, will be pitching her 3rd game in 4 days: she lost a 7 inning game to Washington June 1st (giving up a 2 run HR in the 7th inning); pitching in relief vs Baylor on June 3rd; pitching 7 innings vs LSU Saturday. It's possible that fatigue might play a factor if she pitches today.

OTOH, their next-best pitcher, in terms of ERA, Maggie Balint, has only appeared once in the series, in relief, against Baylor, facing 6 batters and giving up 2 hits and a walk.
She was then replaced by Kleist, who put out the fire.

Kleist is the main threat, as far as I can see.

Nice analysis, Spock. I tend to agree that Oregon (of the three potential opponents for OU in the Semi-Final) is our toughest matchup.
And their pitching depth, as you noted, is comparable to OU's.
One bright note: Oregon's ace pitcher, Kleist, if she pitches today, will be pitching her 3rd game in 4 days: she lost a 7 inning game to Washington June 1st (giving up a 2 run HR in the 7th inning); pitching in relief vs Baylor on June 3rd; pitching 7 innings vs LSU Saturday. It's possible that fatigue might play a factor if she pitches today.

OTOH, their next-best pitcher, in terms of ERA, Maggie Balint, has only appeared once in the series, in relief, against Baylor, facing 6 batters and giving up 2 hits and a walk.
She was then replaced by Kleist, who put out the fire.

Kleist is the main threat, as far as I can see.

You are right Kleist is their ace and Balint did not look great. Another factor I failed to mention is Balint and Elish are both freshmen and the WCWS is a lot of pressure for a freshman not accustomed to being on the big stage. However freshman Dallas Escobedo led ASU to the national championship in 2011 so freshmen can win on the big stage. Although it is much different being the ace and the #2 or #3 pitcher when it comes to pressure.

Oregon has 8 people in their lineup with >0.400 OBP. Crazy.

Sometimes you need to get lucky like we were on the Wodach bunt. Now we need to step up and close the Ducks out and get the win. Lowary needs to get 6 outs asap.

A terrific win! Congrats to the Sooners!

Eventually, the pregame and in-game announcers are going to have start giving us our due. They haven't done so yet.

What a weapon! My eyes couldn't focus fast enough to even see a 72 mph fast ball, much less hit one.

Another great win! Boomer!!!

I think she had a least one pitch that registered 75 mph per quote for The Oklahoman which is the equivalent of 106 mph baseball fastball.

http://www.efastball.com/fastpitch/pitching/equivalent-fastpitch-pitch-speeds-conversion-chart/

Quotable

OU closer Lowary on her pitch that registered 75 mph in Sunday's win against Oregon:

“I know (I hit 75 mph) one other time in Palm Springs this year. But I think adrenaline just kicks in and just trying to hit my spot. I wasn't really concerned with speed, but happened to be that fast, I guess.”

Last edited:
I think she had a least one pitch that registered 75 mph per quote for The Oklahoman which is the equivalent of 106 mph baseball fastball.

http://www.efastball.com/fastpitch/pitching/equivalent-fastpitch-pitch-speeds-conversion-chart/

Quotable

OU closer Lowary on her pitch that registered 75 mph in Sunday's win against Oregon:

“I know (I hit 75 mph) one other time in Palm Springs this year. But I think adrenaline just kicks in and just trying to hit my spot. I wasn't really concerned with speed, but happened to be that fast, I guess.”

Wow! The equivalent of a 106 mph baseball fastball? I can only imagine what it must be like to try to get a bat on a pitch that fast. Sure glad Paige Lowary is on our team!

Back