Softball

I think OU will be fine. We have won 26 road games in a row and we have Paige Parker. OU can win on the road in the Supers. I have a weird feeling we are going to A&M.

Dalton broke team rules? Second time? Where does this information come from? First time I've heard it and I have been particularly careful to watch for any mention of her across the board. I have especially high hopes for her. Her talent is outstanding even in this group.

Don't know his source but have never known Speedy to provide any but accurate information. Best softball source on the board.

#9 Tennessee beat a&m to take series 2-1. #12 LSU beats #24 South Carolina loses series 1-2. #16 Bama beat #4 Auburn loses series 1-2. None of today's games went OU's way.

Arizona beats UCLA 7-2. UCLA win series 2 games to 1. Arizona wins Pac 12 first championship since 2007.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, OU won the league by 4.5 games over Bailure and by 5 games over Silo Tech. I love the smell of domination on a Sunday morning.

Dalton broke team rules? Second time? Where does this information come from? First time I've heard it and I have been particularly careful to watch for any mention of her across the board. I have especially high hopes for her. Her talent is outstanding even in this group.

I was told in Lubbock by some individuals that have been close to the softball program for a long time. I was as surprised as anyone, however, Macey has stepped up pretty well since then.

#9 Tennessee beat a&m to take series 2-1. #12 LSU beats #24 South Carolina loses series 1-2. #16 Bama beat #4 Auburn loses series 1-2. None of today's games went OU's way.

Arizona beats UCLA 7-2. UCLA win series 2 games to 1. Arizona wins Pac 12 first championship since 2007.

I think we will get back to #11 in the RPI this week. Baylor lost again to Texas this weekend and LSU with the two losses. Bama won't catch OU if we win out. A&M is sliding.

We need to sweep in OKC this weekend. Looks like it is #4 Texas at 11am and #6 Texas Tech again at 7 on Thursday. ISU played themselves into the other bracket. They have wins over Baylor and OSU. They are hot right now. I am glad KU is out after their coach went crazy over OU's shift.

I think we will get back to #11 in the RPI this week. Baylor lost again to Texas this weekend and LSU with the two losses. Bama won't catch OU if we win out. A&M is sliding.

We need to sweep in OKC this weekend. Looks like it is #4 Texas at 11am and #6 Texas Tech again at 7 on Thursday. ISU played themselves into the other bracket. They have wins over Baylor and OSU. They are hot right now. I am glad KU is out after their coach went crazy over OU's shift.

I have hopes for #11 too but with #12 LSU being in the SEC to #24 South Carolina and getting the boost in rpi because of their opponents records (50%) plus their opponents opponents record (25%) counting for 75% of their rpi their losses might be somewhat offset by their SOS. The pukes' SOS does not compare to S. Carolina's SOS.

I think #6 FSU will get jumped by #7 Oregon after getting sweeped and #9 Tennessee with at series win in College Station might remotely jump the Seminoles dropping them to #8.

I see aTm and FSU as the most vulnerable to being jumped by OU if we win out and aTm (probably play Alabama and Florida) does not do well in the SEC tourney. Alabama's Osorio can beat anyone if she is on. Florida is #1 for a reason, pitching.

FSU should win the ACC tourney which has a lower SOS than the Big 12 tourney but losing 3 to Oregon has got to hurt despite those losses being on the road.

I am hoping that we definitely jump Baylor in the rpi at least by the conference tourney championship which should most like include another win over the bears.

But we will know more Monday. I do think the Sooners jump aTm in the ESPN poll to #6 but that means nothing for seeding purposes and stay #6 in the Coaches/USA poll.

Last edited:
I think there's not much better than a 10 percent chance that our Sooners reach Top 8 RPI, regardless of what we do in the Big 12 tourney or what any of the teams above us do the rest of the way. I am basically resigned to the fact that we will go on the road for the Supers, and I agree that our destination is likely to be College Station.

I don't think it matters much in the long run. This team is built to win on the road, especially now that our health is improving up and down the lineup.

Re: The No. 1 Florida Gators. Their pitching staff is elite, but their hitting is pretty weak. I think our chances of beating them in a best-of-three WCWS finals would be pretty good, actually.

I think there's not much better than a 10 percent chance that our Sooners reach Top 8 RPI, regardless of what we do in the Big 12 tourney or what any of the teams above us do the rest of the way. I am basically resigned to the fact that we will go on the road for the Supers, and I agree that our destination is likely to be College Station.

I don't think it matters much in the long run. This team is built to win on the road, especially now that our health is improving up and down the lineup.

Re: The No. 1 Florida Gators. Their pitching staff is elite, but their hitting is pretty weak. I think our chances of beating them in a best-of-three WCWS finals would be pretty good, actually.

I agree that OU's shot at hosting a super-regional is about 10-25%. For certain what we don't want is to get a #8 or #9 seed and draw Florida in the first round with a high probability of getting into the losers bracket early.

We might be better off as a 10 seed which would host #23 and if we win our regional travel to the #7 seed which now would probably be Washington, FSU, Tennessee or A&M.

Last edited:
May 7 RPI ranking has OU #11. Big surprises are Oregon going from #7 to #2. That tells you how bunched the top seeds are. #7 Oregon sweeps #6 FSU and jumps 5 slots in the rpi. Also a little surprised to see #13 OU jump #11 Minnesota with only 3 losses moving the Sooners into #11. SOS worked to OU's advantage against gophers. Good! Next on the list is #10 Baylor and #8 A&M (plays Alabama/Arkansas and then Florida is SEC tourney).

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Last edited:
I agree that OU's shot at hosting a super-regional is about 10-25%. For certain what we don't want is to get a #8 or #9 seed and draw Florida in the first round with a high probability of getting into the losers bracket early.

We might be better off as a 10 seed which would host #23 and if we win our regional travel to the #7 seed which now would probably be Washington, FSU, Tennessee or A&M.

Not sure if I'm following you on the bolded part, Spock. If we wind up an 8-seed going into postseason, we would host both a regional and super regional. No way we would play Florida in that scenario. If you're talking about OU being and 8-seed and Florida the 1-seed in the WCWS, then I agree with what you're saying.

Not sure if I'm following you on the bolded part, Spock. If we wind up an 8-seed going into postseason, we would host both a regional and super regional. No way we would play Florida in that scenario. If you're talking about OU being and 8-seed and Florida the 1-seed in the WCWS, then I agree with what you're saying.

Yes I am talking about playing Florida the first game of the WCWS in the first game which would be the case as either a #8 or #9 seed which is where I think it is likely we finish in the rpi.

Obviously looking at the draw it would be best for OU to be a #6 #7 seed but I do not see those as possible whatsoever. A 8 seed host the super-regional but draw the #1 seed in the first round. Hence my speculating if being a #10 seed might not be a better draw than being a #8 or #9 seed.

Yes I am talking about playing Florida the first game of the WCWS in the first game which would be the case as either a #8 or #9 seed which is where I think it is likely we finish in the rpi.

Obviously looking at the draw it would be best for OU to be a #6 #7 seed but I do not see those as possible whatsoever. A 8 seed host the super-regional but draw the #1 seed in the first round. Hence my speculating if being a #10 seed might not be a better draw than being a #8 or #9 seed.

Yep, I agree, though it's not a given that we would lose to the Gators in the first round. Like I stated previously, their pitching is really, really good. But with Paige Parker in the circle for OU, two runs might just be enough to beat the Gators.

Yep, I agree, though it's not a given that we would lose to the Gators in the first round. Like I stated previously, their pitching is really, really good. But with Paige Parker in the circle for OU, two runs might just be enough to beat the Gators.

No question Paige is the epitome of a money pitcher but presently the Florida staff stat are not realistic except for the fact that that is what they are. Their #2 and #3 pitchers era is 0.80 and 1.17. As a team they have allowed only 6 HR's. OU back pitchers era's are both 1.85. Our staff has allowed 27 HR's.

Compare their ace to Paige and remember that Florida plays in the toughest conference in the country. Innings pitched Parker 147.2, Barnhill 146.2. ERA Parker 1.47, Barnhill 0.33. Walks Parker 31, Barnhill 27. Strikeouts Parker 191, Barnhill 278. Home runs allowed Parker 17, Barnhill 3. HBP Parker 3, Barnhill 7. WP Parker 7, Barnhill 11.

Barnhill leads the country in ERA 0.33 (Parker 1.47), hits allowed per 7 innings 2.91 (Parker 4.27) and strikeouts per 7 innings 13.3 (Parker 9.1).

On the offensive side OU is hitting .322, Florida .310. OU has hit 46 HR's, Florida 42. OU has scored 365 runs, Florida 322. OU has played 1 more game. It should be noted that Florida's offense comes in a conference that has 17 pitchers that have thrown 100 inning and have 2.0 era or less. The Big 12 only has 6 such pitcher and two of them play for OU.

Last edited:
So in a UF-OU match-up, you're conceding victory to Florida?

So in a UF-OU match-up, you're conceding victory to Florida?

Hell no I will have my crimson colored glasses on but the smart money would be on the Gators. However I always like Parker in one game for the money. She has heart and that is when she is at her best. But I do think our best bet to beat the Gators is to play them in the double elimination portion of the WCWS and move them to the losers bracket where someone else can eliminate them.

Where the Gators would then get an advantage is despite OU beating them once it is possible for them to make it back to the WCWS championship series opposite OU and we would have to then beat them 2 out of 3. I just do not see the Sooners beating Florida 3 out of 4 games despite being the defending national champs and despite having both Patty and Parker.

We cannot forget that Florida won the national championship in 2014 and 2015 and have now won 3 consecutive SEC regular seasons. They are an experienced team that has played for and won championships with an Okie for a head coach (Tim Walton) and a pitching coach(Jennifer Rocha). Both graduated and played at OU.

What I would like to see happen is what happened last year when the #8 seed Georgia upset the Gators in Gainesville and Florida did not make the WCWS as the #1 seed two time defending national champion. I think that if Tennessee, A&M or FSU get the #8 seed there is a remote chance the Gators could get bumped again in 2017 as those schools have enough pitching to get the job done. Here is hoping.

Right now I think the top 4 teams are 1. Florida, 2. Arizona/Oregon, 3. OU and 4. Auburn, 5. Oregon/Arizona. But the Pac 12 and SEC tourneys will clarify a lot of that for us this weekend. We will know the road to the championship a week from today. Time is getting short.

Back