Some Random Observations from the game

Sam

Reaction score
Just got back from the game, here are some little things I noticed.

One thing I enjoyed seeing in warm ups was Willie Warren being the first one out to start shooting. Blake was always the first one out last year so I hope this is a good sign for the type of season Willie is going to have.

Willie went into scoring mood a lot, most of the time it was good as he is great at drawing contact/fouls and finishing in contact. But it seems like he might have been doing a little too much at times, he had some open guys on the wing that he could've kicked it too. Willie's decision making when attacking the hoop might be on the biggest keys to the season.

TMG and Pledger are shooters, I know they bring other things to the table but this might be the best team we have at shooting deep since 2002 and these two young freshman might be the key to it. It's possible with the talented mix of shooting from deep they could rival some of Billy's team's ability to hit the long ball. Seems like everyone of the guards is a legit threat from deep and any of them could explode on any given night.

4 guard line up. I think it could work in some situations and we might see more of it this season. If we can get good rebounding from it, it will make a nice change of place. The potential I see for it is the ability to load up with the 3 hot guards of the night (lets say Crocker, Cade and Pledger) and let them spread the floor for Willie to drive.

This team was rusty and sloppy at times early, which is expected given the youth that makes up this team. I'm expecting there to be some ups and downs in the non conference and we lose one or two that based on "talent level" we shouldn't (Utah and VCU both seem like candidates for that) I just hope/assume we can work out the hitches in non-conference and be rolling by the time conference rolls around because this group has a high ceiling.

Fans
I saw some compliments in the game thread about the crowd but for an exhibition game (with the Lakers in town) I thought it was pretty solid. It's about baby steps for the crowd and I just hope to have comparable numbers when the real games start. Student section was strong as well early, I was expecting it to be half full but it got close to about 70% at it's peak. Now the crowd cleared out at half, I guess real Sooners still beat the traffic ;).

Band
I doubt if we have our band bashing threads this year, the make up of the band has changed to a more traditional basketball prep band. It has also increased in size slightly and the new band director is more of a basketball fan than the last. Seems to be more about basketball and college atmosphere this year than concert music/professional jazz band it was last year.

Great observations, Sam! I love that the band has shifted their "purpose" so to speak!

Willie went into scoring mood a lot, most of the time it was good as he is great at drawing contact/fouls and finishing in contact. But it seems like he might have been doing a little too much at times, he had some open guys on the wing that he could've kicked it too.

Thats because Willie is a volume shooter... As Willie goes, OU goes. As is the case with all teams in college or the NBA who have a volume shooter as their primary player.

Nice writeup.

Back