Sooners turn attendance numbers around | The Oklahoman

good job.. keep it up... the guys deserve it.

don't stop next year.. keep bringing it.

next years team is going to be fun.

OU

I especially liked the giant Buddy, with arms and all. That was great.

The movement to increase student participation actually started with the "Capables" (can't recall the year). Several members of that group post regularly on this board. It grew from there to what has become an awesome sight for OU fans who still remember the lean times when it was not easy to put butts in seats at the LNC. Sure is good to see sold out crowds again!

Terrific job, Boom Squad!

The movement to increase student participation actually started with the "Capables" (can't recall the year). Several members of that group post regularly on this board. It grew from there to what has become an awesome sight for OU fans who still remember the lean times when it was not easy to put butts in seats at the LNC. Sure is good to see sold out crowds again!

Terrific job, Boom Squad!

Those Blake Griffin years were pretty special indeed!

Winning cures SO many problems. :)

Winning and they are fun to watch. The transition basketball makes a more enjoyable game.

I loved Sampson but many fans didn't go to games because they perceived his style as "boring". I love to watch defense so I enjoyed watching his teams.

I think a lot of people like Lon too, he's a good ambassador for the program. Whereas not many liked Kelvin after the "don't say Texas sucks" deal.

Whereas not many liked Kelvin after the "don't say Texas sucks" deal.

I think you overstate. There were fans who never did warm up to Kelvin because of his style of play and the early struggles in the Big Dance, but I don't agree for a moment that they were ever in the majority.

Most fans just want a program that wins and features solid kids who are good citizens.

I think you overstate. There were fans who never did warm up to Kelvin because of his style of play and the early struggles in the Big Dance, but I don't agree for a moment that they were ever in the majority.

Most fans just want a program that wins and features solid kids who are good citizens.

I didn't mean majority, bad use of words on my part and won't be the first time (or last) but I know quite a few existed. I can remember the people around me *****ing about it when it happened. I also remember some on the various OU basketball message boards also complaining and some post here.

I didn't mean majority, bad use of words on my part and won't be the first time (or last) but I know quite a few existed. I can remember the people around me *****ing about it when it happened. I also remember some on the various OU basketball message boards also complaining and some post here.

You're right, there were definitely some.

I've felt all along though that most of the stuff that Sampson supposedly (or actually) did wrong (like the comment you cited) just gave the haters a hook on which to hang the enmity they'd felt toward him from the very day he took over and those fans realized we wouldn't be playing Billy's style. There were fans he simply couldn't win over because he wasn't Billy Tubbs.

I've felt all along though that most of the stuff that Sampson supposedly (or actually) did wrong (like the comment you cited) just gave the haters a hook on which to hang the enmity they'd felt toward him from the very day he took over and those fans realized we wouldn't be playing Billy's style. There were fans he simply couldn't win over because he wasn't Billy Tubbs.
I disagree. He had a honeymoon phase. He could've run a solid campaign for governor after the undefeated home slate of 1995.

But flirting with NC State hurt.

But flirting with the Texas job REALLY garnered him some enemies.

Coupled with three-straight mediocre seasons by OU standards ('96-98) and the bloom fell off. The Sweet 16 run in '99 was MUCH needed.

I loved Kelvin Sampson and those teams that would kick the highly rated jayhawks' butts in the Big 12 tourney with hard-nose defense. To me, that was some of the best basketball OU ever played.

Of course I also love Kruger's teams and our current style of play.

Back