Summer Q&A with Jeff Capel >>> SoonerSports.com

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/072810aaa.html

NORMAN, Okla. -- July is a notoriously hectic month for college basketball head coaches as they travel thousands of miles and log countless hours evaluating prospects from coast to coast. And if you're Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel in 2010, that comes on the heels of a 16-day stint as head coach of the gold-medal-winning USA team at the FIBA U18 Championship.

Spare moments are rare this time of year for Capel, who's entering his fifth season at OU. But SoonerSports.com was able to pin him down for a two-part Q&A in which he discussed his summer, last year's team, changes in the program and his expectations for 2010-11.

Here's part one:

----------

Q: Can you reflect on your USA Basketball experience with the U18 team this summer and what it meant to you?
A: "It was a great experience. Anytime you have an opportunity to represent your country, it's a tremendous honor. The fact we were doing it in our home country made it even more special. We had a tremendous group of young guys who came together to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

"The games themselves were very, very good. It was great to see that team come together and to see the guys push themselves to limits they didn't know they could. I really love how we won the gold medal because we overcame adversity. We were down nine with 8:53 left and our guys showed a resiliency and a resolve that I'm not even sure they knew they had. You could really see and sense the level of pride on that team during those last nine minutes to get back in and win the game. For me as a coach, it was great to be a part of that."

Q: Is there anything else besides your association with that gold medal that you were personally able to take away from the experience?

A: "You have a chance to be around different coaches. During the trials, you have everyone from the committee there. So you have a chance to pick their brain, talk to them about different parts of the game. Once we cut the team down to 12, it was (Georgia Tech head coach) Paul Hewitt, (Buffalo head coach) Reggie Witherspoon and myself. It was great to bounce different ideas off of them and just talk basketball for 16 days straight. It was great to be able to coach in the summer and to be around guys that bought into what we were doing, bought into being a part of something bigger than themselves. That's what 'team' is about. We didn't have much time to become a team, but I thought we did become one."

Q: Last year was obviously a difficult one, but were you able to take anything positive away from it? What were some of the primary things the returning players learned from it?
A: "Winning isn't necessarily a birthright. It's something you have to earn. You earn it by how you work leading up to the season. You can't just turn it on when the games start. It begins with your summer preparation -- mentally and physically. That's when you start to form your team.

"You have your new guys coming in, you have your returning guys. Every year is different, so you hope to establish some sort of leadership in the summer. We never did that last summer. You hope to establish a work ethic, and that usually comes from older guys in the program. That never happened last summer. Hopefully our returning guys learned what not to do. Hopefully they learned that when you don't do those things you can't expect to have success."

Q: What have the players told you about their workouts this summer?
A: "It seems like they're working hard. I've been on the road a lot with USA Basketball and with recruiting, but I stay in contact with our guys through text and by calling. There are quite a few guys who when I contact them at night are either on their way to the gym or leaving the gym. That's different than last summer.

"I think because of what happened last year, our returning players have more of a hunger, a little bit more of a desire to not let that happen again. I think maybe they've worked harder than they've ever worked.

"One of the encouraging things from the spring was that everyone's mile time decreased. We had six weeks after the season before school let out and we tested our guys before exam week. Steven Pledger finally broke six minutes. Andrew Fitzgerald was right at six minutes. Andrew's down to 237 pounds. Those guys have embraced how hard we have to work. In turn, that's set an example for the new guys.

"One of the things with our new guys is that all of them feel like they have something to prove. Carl Blair, coming from the University of New Orleans, is excited to be at a place like Oklahoma. Same thing with (junior college transfers) Nick Thompson and C.J. Washington. You can go on down the list. They're excited and there's been a different energy. It's something we look forward to harnessing and working with when we get to August."

Q: From a personal standpoint, how would you describe your attitude toward the upcoming season?
A: "There's been a different energy around here and I'm excited about it. I'm excited to see what we become. We still have expectations. We want to become the best team we can be -- hopefully vie for one of the top spots in the Big 12 and make the NCAA Tournament. Mainly, we want to work hard every day, get better every day. In order to do that, we have to come to work with the right mindset every day.

"How good will we be? I don't know. We have a lot of new guys. Even our returning guys -- we hope they've gotten a lot better. Once we start in August we'll get a better feel for where we are. We'll figure out what our strengths are, concentrate on them and use them to become the best team we can be."

Q: Outside of Cade Davis, there's not a ton of experience with the players that return from last year. Have you ever had a team where even the sophomores are going to be looked at as leaders?
A: "Not really, no. Maybe you could liken it a little to my first year here when we had David Godbold and Michael Neal coming back with significant experience and not really anyone else. Guys like Austin Johnson, Taylor Griffin, Longar Longar and Nate Carter really hadn't played that much. Blake Griffin was a leader his sophomore year (in 2008-09), but that was completely different. As a coach, I've never been in a situation like this."

Q: Will you lean on what you learned your first year at OU?
A: "I'll lean on that a little bit. I also had an experience as a player that's somewhat similar to what we've gone through the last two years. As a freshman at Duke, we played for a national championship. As a sophomore, we were 13-18 overall and 2-14 in the ACC. We had two lottery picks on that team and another guy who was a second-round pick. So we were talented, but we weren't a good basketball team. We never came together, the chemistry wasn't there. We lost a lot of close games.

"We came back my junior year and, because of what we had just gone through, we didn't want that to happen again. We were more talented when I was a sophomore, but our team was better when I was a junior because we were a team. We understood how much we needed each other. I thought guys made a commitment to work. Because of that we made the NCAA Tournament, which was great for that team. I'll look back on that experience as well to help push buttons and try to become the best team we can be."

this interview has turned into a full fledge fight on the soonersports facebook page.

Pledger just breaking a 6 minute mile?

Good grief how can any guard on a D-1 scholarship not be able to easily break 6 minutes in the mile. Any decent athlete can do that without breaking a sweat.

Good grief how can any guard on a D-1 scholarship not be able to easily break 6 minutes in the mile. Any decent athlete can do that without breaking a sweat.

Man, I just broke 8 minutes on a treadmill after running for two years and that's at a rate of 7.5. Big difference from running on a tread in an air conditioned fitness club than running on the hot asphalt in the dead middle of an Oklahoma summer. It may be less than the norm, but he's got my respect.

As a freshman at Duke.....

Too bad he didn't say freshman at Seward Co. You would have had a seizure. We get it, you don't like Capel. It's fine. Move on.

Man, I just broke 8 minutes on a treadmill after running for two years and that's at a rate of 7.5. Big difference from running on a tread in an air conditioned fitness club than running on the hot asphalt in the dead middle of an Oklahoma summer. It may be less than the norm, but he's got my respect.

My thoughts as well... Its like 105 and humid out there.

Too bad he didn't say freshman at Seward Co. You would have had a seizure. We get it, you don't like Capel. It's fine. Move on.

I like Capel... he seems like a nice guy.

Lol Capel knows what to say. But he keeps bringing up his experience at Duke as if his first few years in college were really formative in his thought process. Strange. Oh and it's surprising that playing for one of the best college coaches ever and remembering how that coach handled things would still be fresh in his mind now in his current position, as a head basketball coach of a college. This just doesn't add up...

LOL somebody should ask coach Capel how this situation reminds him of Rocky 3, that pride comes before the fall. It's time to get in the basement and start buildin' some hurtin' power. "You ain't so bad Kansas! You ain't so bad!"

This interview does not inspire confidence, is what im saying...

"As a coach, I've never been in a situation like this."
-Jeff

"I think maybe they've worked harder"
-Jeff

"How good will we be? I don't know."
-Jeff

"We never did that last summer."
-Jeff

"It seems like they're working hard."
-Jeff

"That never happened last summer."
-Jeff

Maybe I don't fully understand how the system works, but I have a hard time believing that Bill Selfs players, Tom Izzos players, Kelvin Sampsons players, etc come in and be lazy all offseason. Doesnt the coach kind of set the expectations for what happens in the summer? Or do all coaches just kind of let them do whatever they want and hope they work hard?

Last edited:

He broke the 6 minute mark in the spring, he ran a 5:44 today. Which is just about the same as WWIII & TC from last yr. there was a thread up here or on soonersports with the posted times

Last edited:
Maybe I don't fully understand how the system works, but I have a hard time believing that Bill Selfs players, Tom Izzos players, Kelvin Sampsons players, etc come in and be lazy all offseason. Doesnt the coach kind of set the expectations for what happens in the summer? Or do all coaches just kind of let them do whatever they want and hope they work hard?

Mike Leach.

This interview does not inspire confidence, is what im saying...

"As a coach, I've never been in a situation like this."
-Jeff

"I think maybe they've worked harder"
-Jeff

"How good will we be? I don't know."
-Jeff

"We never did that last summer."
-Jeff

"It seems like they're working hard."
-Jeff

"That never happened last summer."
-Jeff

So when Kelvin's team quit on him at the end of the 05-06 season, was that Kelvin not working them hard enough, or was that the players just not wanting it?

He broke the 6 minute mark in the spring, he ran a 5:44 today. Which is just about the same as WWIII & TC from last yr. there was a thread up here or on soonersports with the posted times

Don't mind Bocabull, we like your son.

Sometimes I forget that everyone on here is in peak physical condition and runs the mile in under 5 minutes. Or their kid in junior high does.

So when Kelvin's team quit on him at the end of the 05-06 season, was that Kelvin not working them hard enough, or was that the players just not wanting it?

Capel is 15-25 in the last 10 games of the year since being at OU.

Is there a reason you neglected to answer my question?

Yea, because it wasn't a good one and it wasnt true. Sampsons teams were well known to be the hardest working. That was OU's reputation, and they lived up to it. Nobody was tougher than a Sampson coached OU team.

His 2005 team went 25-8 (#17 in the country) and his 2006 team went 20-9 (#24 in the country), so I dont know why you think those teams were bad or why you think they quit on him. He won 20 games or more 10 years in a row. There was never any quitting.

Last edited:
Look at the last three games of the 05-06 season and tell me with a straight face that team didn't quit. Blown off the floor by Texas, losing to a pathetic Nebraska team in the Big 12, and then run out of the gym by 11 seed Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The point is that even the great Kelvin Sampson had teams that he had problems motivating.

Look at the last three games of the 05-06 season and tell me with a straight face that team didn't quit. Blown off the floor by Texas, losing to a pathetic Nebraska team in the Big 12, and then run out of the gym by 11 seed Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The point is that even the great Kelvin Sampson had teams that he had problems motivating.

That team still went 6-4 in the final 10 games, was ranked, and went to the NCAA Tournament. They lost to Nebraska twice that year, so it must have been a bad matchup or something. It was a 19 win Husker team that went to the NIT and advanced to the 3rd round of the Big 12 Tournament.

They lost the last two games of the season by 6 and 8 points, thats not giving up. They went 11-5 in the Big 12, lol. Finished 3rd in the conference. Were in the top 25 all year.

This is just ridiculous.

Back