Tanner Groves foul trouble

pnkranger

Reaction score
Some discussion about this in the game thread, but my take on the rest of the season is this:

If Tanner can figure out how to avoid dumb ticky tack fouls away from the basket for the rest of the year, I think this team can build some momentum and start to win some of these close games.

The bottom line is there is an 86 point drop-off between T Groves and Sam Godwin in terms of season +/-. Considering we've lost to:

SHU by 1
Nova by 4
Arkansas by 10
Texas by 1

That 86 point difference seems like a very significant gap.

I don’t feel like the +/- numbers accurately reflect how Sam has played; in some games, he has been better than Tanner. They obviously play very different games, as Tanner is a much bigger perimeter threat while Sam tends to score around the basket. But Tanner absolutely has to play smarter and avoid the one or two stupid fouls he gets every game. As a big, you’re going to pick up a couple fouls a game banging in the post, so you can’t afford to commit dumb fouls trying to trap a guard 30 feet from the basket. When he is on the bench for the majority of the game because of fouls, the opposing big no longer has to come out and guard outside the paint. That means fewer driving lanes are available for our guards, and it is also easier to help.

I’d be curious to know if Porter has specifically talked with Tanner about the away-from-the-basket fouls. It’s happened so often that it needs to be addressed, if it hasn’t already been.

I don’t feel like the +/- numbers accurately reflect how Sam has played; in some games, he has been better than Tanner. They obviously play very different games, as Tanner is a much bigger perimeter threat while Sam tends to score around the basket. But Tanner absolutely has to play smarter and avoid the one or two stupid fouls he gets every game. As a big, you’re going to pick up a couple fouls a game banging in the post, so you can’t afford to commit dumb fouls trying to trap a guard 30 feet from the basket. When he is on the bench for the majority of the game because of fouls, the opposing big no longer has to come out and guard outside the paint. That means fewer driving lanes are available for our guards, and it is also easier to help.

I’d be curious to know if Porter has specifically talked with Tanner about the away-from-the-basket fouls. It’s happened so often that it needs to be addressed, if it hasn’t already been.

He reamed him pretty good after one of them in the first half!

Tanner's problem is slow foot speed and not really athletic.

He just needs to learn to live with it.

:eddie187_jpg_xs:

Tanner's problem is slow foot speed and not really athletic.

He just needs to learn to live with it.

:eddie187_jpg_xs:

Those two attributes are what prevent him from being a point guard, I suppose. ;)

Sam has played well. Offensively, he’s a great 1-2 punch with Tanner. But defense and ball movement are where he isn’t at Tanner’s level (yet). He’s a solid help defender and not bad against mobile bigs.

He gets abused one on one in the paint and also isn’t as experienced in Porter’s defense. Pick and roll defense is not always clean, and he’s slow switching at times.

Sam has played well. Offensively, he’s a great 1-2 punch with Tanner. But defense and ball movement are where he isn’t at Tanner’s level (yet). He’s a solid help defender and not bad against mobile bigs.

He gets abused one on one in the paint and also isn’t as experienced in Porter’s defense. Pick and roll defense is not always clean, and he’s slow switching at times.

yep this is a place where +/- tells the entire story

Tanner has been painfully average this season. If we are going to make the tournament, he has to be much better.

Back