The Bubble

Bracketmatrix has us as the top 9 seed in this mornings update

As of this moment, Baylor is only favored by -3 tomorrow.

If we go 18-13 (8-10) will we need a win in KC to get in?

It all depends on how other bubble teams do coupled with smaller conf bubble teams winning their conferences. I will say that we need to win a game or two if we finish there to be safer.

Last edited:
More than likely no

Also we would be a 10-11 which I’d prefer over an 8-9.

Weird to think about but there’s a legit argument to go 8-10 rather than 9-9.

If we go 18-13 (8-10) will we need a win in KC to get in?

As of now, I think we barely make the cut if we finish at 8-10....likely as an 11 seed. Once again, the bubble is pretty soft and other teams around us are losing as often as we are. But it would be a good idea to not screw around and go ahead and win at least 9 games in conference. If we somehow manage to get to 10 wins in conference, we are in the 8-seed range....IMO.

As of now, I think we barely make the cut if we finish at 8-10....likely as an 11 seed. Once again, the bubble is pretty soft and other teams around us are losing as often as we are. But it would be a good idea to not screw around and go ahead and win at least 9 games in conference. If we somehow manage to get to 10 wins in conference, we are in the 8-seed range....IMO.

^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed. All is not lost, but it's definitely going to be another year of getting in by a game or two max.

Tired of it. OU basketball is better than this.

Agreed. All is not lost, but it's definitely going to be another year of getting in by a game or two max.

Tired of it. OU basketball is better than this.

This! ^^^^^^^^^

Truth be known, I think all but a few here are tired of it too. This is not my idea of an enjoyable end to our season. A well coached team should get better as the season progresses not worse.

This! ^^^^^^^^^

Truth be known, I think all but a few here are tired of it too. This is not my idea of an enjoyable end to our season. A well coached team should get better as the season progresses not worse.

Yep, we have not improved an iota since the season tipped off.

Nobody should be surprised at all. OU the last 4 years has gotten worse as the year goes on. And no excuses about the conference being great. This conference has some bad teams this year.

I understand being on the bubble some years. We’ve become an annual bubble team tho and that’s not good enough for this program. We deserve better. We should be aiming higher. Lon Kruger just isn’t getting the job done anymore.

It’s time for a change. It’s past time for a lot of changes regarding the basketball program.

Ok...I have been lax on this thread for over a week. But I will try and get caught up. Instead of listing possibilities and since selection sunday is only two weeks away, I'm going to project seeds 9 and down:

9 seeds
OU - good week; two good scalps.
Virginia - big win over Duke yesterday. But the ACC is VERY down this year, so their record is a little inflated. Not a ton of big wins.
Xavier - started 1-4 in the Big East, but have really played well over the last 5 weeks. They have some good road scalps as well.
Providence - they actually have (4) Q3/Q4 losses; but they also have (7) Q-1 wins. Those trump their really bad losses in November....imo.

10 seeds
Indiana - tough loss today, but they've been playing better the last 3 weeks or so.
Rutgers - they have some good wins at home, but only ONE win away from home....one. And they won't be playing NCAA tournament games in Piscataway.
LSU - they were once in the 5/6 range when they were winning all those close games, but now things are evening out and they've slipped to the bubble.
Florida - they have a really high NET ranking for some reason, but their resume isn't great outside of a couple of good home wins.

11 seeds
USC - picked up a pair of good wins this week....safely in.
Arizona State - had been playing well until this week. Safely in for now.
East Tennessee State - it would be wise to go ahead and win the Southern Conference tournament, but they may be able to get in anyway.
Stanford - the win over Colorado gets them back into the field today.
Wichita State (play-in) - saved their season today with a 24-pt comeback in the 2nd half.
NC State (play-in) - who would've thought that the mighty ACC would only get 4 teams in the tournament

Just outside:
  • Cincy - loss @Houston today, but need to make some noise in the Athletic Conf. Tourney or they will be out.
  • Rhode Island - loss to St Louis at home today; I think that knocks them down to the first four out.
  • Utah State - damaging loss last night to the Lobos. They have to absolutely make the MWC finals....and that might not be enough. Just not enough quality on their resume.
  • Richmond - see above (Utah State). Probably need to at least knock off Rhode Island in the A-10 tournament.
  • Texas - if they split their last two games and win one in KC, I think they sneak into the tournament.
  • UCLA - Even though they have been hot of late and they actually lead the PAC-12, the metrics say they aren't as close to getting in as the pub they are receiving.
  • Purdue - have great metrics and quality wins, but their W/L record is killing them. Need to get a couple of more big scalps to make an argument.
  • Mississippi State - have a good record, but not enough meat on their resume; need to likely get to the SEC conference semis while beating someone noteworthy in the process.

*If ETSU wins the Southern Conf. tournament, that opens up another spot for an at-large.
**Since UCLA is leading the PAC-12, they would be the automatic qualifier for the time being.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post of reason.

Ou is likely in with 2 more losses. Not matter how much it hurts some OU “fans” that lost here

Yup, 36 teams have to get at large bids. There aren't 36 at large candidates with better resumes than OU even with two losses. now there will probably be 32 or 33 but that still gets us in, In Dayton

Very good 60 seconds just now. Wichita State, Arizona State, and Stanford all go down.

Back