The Civil Willie Warren Discussion Thread

GParker

Reaction score
Let's try again here....this time lose the personal attacks and bad language.

For the love of all that his holy, thank you!

No more soap operas!

Great game, Willie.

Thanks for your leadership and aggressiveness in going to the rim and putting your body on the line. It really set a tone for our team after we got down. Most Sooner fans appreciate the effort.

-Volume shooter
-Bad attitude
-7-25 from the field
-Made big shot
-Some people love him, some dont
-Had half of OU's turnovers
-Some say 6'2'', some say 6'3''
-Volume shooter
-Glad OU won
-Don't like the Allen Iverson style basketball OU plays with Willie
-Big road win
-Tiny was great and OU would have won by 10-12 if he played 20 minutes

I think thats everything I was trying to cover in the original thread.

WW is in a really tough spot. Expectations were out of this world for him this year and didn't take into account the fact that there wasn't much experience coming back.

The W is all that counts right now. Looks like he really picked it up and OU gutted out a win.

He's a scorer not a shooter. I will say I want his hands on the ball with the game on the line, but he does have a poor attitude and a low basketball IQ.

He had a great second half. He really took some punishment inside to get us this win. Also he had his most impressive rebounding game I can remember. Good job Willie.

WW is in a really tough spot. Expectations were out of this world for him this year and didn't take into account the fact that there wasn't much experience coming back.

The W is all that counts right now. Looks like he really picked it up and OU gutted out a win.

Expectations MIGHT have been a bit high, but Willie isn't even being defended as a star yet. He isn't getting doubled. He's probably drawing the best defender on the opposing team, but he's getting open shots, and chances to drive. Other teams aren't forcing Willie to give the ball up. They can't really, unless they want to double off of Wright's man when Tiny goes out.

Willie's problem is that this team is so young it has to rely on him doing more than he anyone would want to expect. I think he's averaging 21 a game for the first 8 games or so. That's pretty damn good, we just need a lot more from him because of the team.

Some of his "over the head" finishes on the 7'3'' guy were both shocking and impressive. I think he had his back to the rim on one of them to get his body on that guy....

All I know is it takes a lot of guts to step back and knock down a trey ball from beyond three point range when your team needs it late in the game down by 2. Not many players can make that shot. Fortunately for us, we have one of those guys on our team.

I think WW is still trying to figure out how to lead this team. Sometimes he might not have to lead at all. Whereas, in games like today, we needed him for a W. I think the younger guys know about his attitude, and they also know that they are other players they can feed off of(i.e. Crocker, Cade, Wright). With that said, I am glad WW is on our team.

Why do you feel that way? I would say the exact opposite.
He dribbles wayyyy too much.

He is not great at dribbling.

He presses a lot and that leads to a lot of stupid fouls and ugly turnovers.

His shot selection has been poor this year.

The guy is supremely athletic but he needs to calm down and play with his head on straight.

great talent. only he can decide if he wants to be Chauncey Billups (an immensely talented guy whose game has vastly improved since his go 1 on 4, get by on raw talent days at Colorado....by learning to play D, see the game as a team game, and play under control. win playoff games and finals MVP) or Ron Mercer (an immensely talented guy who was always happy to get his 25 in the League but his sub .500 team always still lost by 10).

Willie needs to take better care of the basketball; too many careless TO's. Then again, that's not an only Willie problem, he just gets singled out for it. He did a good job of staying involved in the first half when his shots weren't falling; dishing out assists and rebounding. Second half, he took over, which is exactly what he SHOULD have done from a leadership standpoint. Regardless of being a work in progress, I'm just going to enjoy the win. Even if Utah was terrible :p.

I am glad Willie took it to them and wouldn't let them push us around. Even though he wasn't getting a lot of fouls called he just kept getting to the basket and forcing the issue. Some times it didn't look great but it was effective and definitely helped OU to a victory. My favorite Willie moment from tonight was when he drove in straight at the 7'3" Foster (who had four fouls at the time) and jumped, bumped and hit the shot. All Foster could do was back away and hope the whistle didn't blow.

Willie must remind some people of a jock who stole their girl in high school. It's the only explanation I can think of how anybody can watch this stud and constantly pick him apart.

The color announcer was raving about him as a POY stud the entire game. But what does he know?

I said this earlier this week but too many people are putting the teams success and his success together. Willie didn't really play that great to start the year but he didn't play that bad either. The team on the other hand played terrible as a unit. I don't think Willie has ever been one of our big problems on this team.

Expectations MIGHT have been a bit high, but Willie isn't even being defended as a star yet. He isn't getting doubled. He's probably drawing the best defender on the opposing team, but he's getting open shots, and chances to drive. Other teams aren't forcing Willie to give the ball up. They can't really, unless they want to double off of Wright's man when Tiny goes out.

Expectations on this board were EXTREMELY high for WW. I'm not saying it's totally unwarranted because the guy is a Top 5 pick, but he lost the POY from last year and a bunch of other good players and replace them with freshman it will tend to make you look worse.

I think he's just trying to get his bearings.

Why do you feel that way? I would say the exact opposite.

Yeah, I have never gotten the impression that he has a low bball IQ, so too, would like to here why you feel that way, 918.

My thoughts on Willie tonight,

I was really pleased with the way that he took control. He remained calm, hit his FTs in the second half, and did a nice job of keeping body control on his drives. I still think that his body language can continue to improve, but once he gets that done (and a lot of it is not pouting on the floor after he doesn't get a call) then he will be fine.

Saw him demonstrating some leadership skills on the bench after he fouled out. That is good to see.

I also liked the way that he got in there and rebounded the basketball. This team is going to need that kind of rebounding effort out him in order to make this four guard offense work.

Back