The last time I had this much fun at an OU/Kansas game

Sooner24

Reaction score
Was 1990 in Kemper Arena. We ran them out of Missouri that day.

Funny thing was the day before we were seated next to these KU fans and we were all cheering on Colorado as they beat Missouri in the only 8 vs 1 seed to see the 1 seed lose.

They weren’t as friendly the next day as we put a big time country ass whooping on them. Much like last night the final score was much closer than the game itself.

We ended up playing Colorado in the finals in a game that was too close for comfort. We even flew home on the plane from Kansas City with the team, the Big 8 Tournament trophy and Barry Switzer.

Thanks for the memories! For a couple of decades, I used to make the drive to KC and attend those conference tournaments at Kemper Arena with my father and some friends. Those were some great times.

It was very sweet to beat KU up there.

Thanks for the memories! For a couple of decades, I used to make the drive to KC and attend those conference tournaments at Kemper Arena with my father and some friends. Those were some great times.

It was very sweet to beat KU up there.

I don't think anything can top 2001 -- winning the tourney by beating MU, KU, and UT. The next year was right up there, too, but I wasn't able to go that season so '01 was what I will always remember.

That win over KU in the 2002 Big 12 Tourney is one of the best displays of team defense I've ever seen. That KU team was LOADED with offensive talent, and they scored 55 points in KC that day. Suffocating defense. I'll never forget that game.

That win over KU in the 2002 Big 12 Tourney is one of the best displays of team defense I've ever seen. That KU team was LOADED with offensive talent, and they scored 55 points in KC that day. Suffocating defense. I'll never forget that game.

I got a ticket by Kemper, probably for having an Oklahoma license plate, prior to that game. My friend had somehow not gotten the tickets ordered and I had bought and sold tickets to get us in the lower level, but surrounded by Kansas fans. That was actually fun being amongst they during the game.

After the game so KU fans were mouthing at us about going out of the NCAA tournament before them. For all their bragging they still weren’t the first Big 12 team to make it to the Final Four.

I wasn't in KC, but at the LNC game a couple of weeks before (beat #1 MU on Sunday, new #1 KU on Tuesday, then became #1). That may have been the best LNC atmosphere ever. And an even bigger blowout (thanks to KU garbage time points last night).

I wasn't in KC, but at the LNC game a couple of weeks before (beat #1 MU on Sunday, new #1 KU on Tuesday, then became #1). That may have been the best LNC atmosphere ever. And an even bigger blowout (thanks to KU garbage time points last night).

Those were great days, but, my best LNC experience was Jan 27, 87 OU - Vegas. I was on the floor as a 21-year old "reporter" for a weekly newspaper in Norman called the "Oklahoma News".

So loud, so much talent on the floor - always remember that one. There was a major ice storm and the arena wasn't totally full, but man it was loud. OU won when Vegas missed a follow dunk at the buzzer.

Then I got to go to the postgame press conferences - what a blast.

i was living in Colorado Springs in 1990.....me and my buddy from LA watched us dismantle #1 Kansas at the LNC and then, night before the Mizzou #1 game, we were up late futzing around/probably having a beer or two....and he said "if we left now, you think we could get tickets?". I said: "heck, let's find out".

so we got in my old Cutlass Supreme and drove to Norman, bought some tickets on the east facing lawn of the stadium from the first guy we saw holding....pretty reasonable really, not great seats but we were in the building 5 minutes before the tip....bang bang bang.

Sooners beat second #1 in a row.

then we said hello to my Dad (at the game, after the game).....ate dinner with my Mom and drove back to the Springs.

Good times. for about a month, Skeeter Henry was the best player in college basketball.

Last edited:

I wasn't there, but that's my fondest KU memory. Really not very many enjoyable memories against them.

I went to both of those games, too. I was a freshman at OU.

The funny thing about those games, earlier in the week I skipped study hall (I was a pledge) to watch OU play KSU with Kruger and Henson (as the PG). Henson was a magician with the ball and was fun to watch so I wasn't going to miss that game. Since I skipped study hall, on Sunday night after the Mizzou win earlier that day, I was reprimanded for skipping and had "detention" at the frat house every day that week from 8 to 5 (when not in class). This prevented me from being in line earlier that day. I had already stood in line earlier in the season for the UNLV game (with Johnson, Augmon, Hunt, Anthony, etc.) and for the KU game. Instead, I had to sit in an upper deck seat for the KU game. I was still there, though. Awesome atmosphere with the skeeter meter and the noise meter (light pole). What a week that was!

Last edited:
I wasn't there, but that's my fondest KU memory. Really not very many enjoyable memories against them.

It hurts my heart that that OU team didn't get to compete healthy in the FF. They were playing fantastic basketball late in the year.

one of my first memories of OU/KU when i was coming into a bigger basketball fan was the 1995 game in Norman, Kelvin's first year with about 11 guys on the roster, KU ranked # 1, OU was down 4 with a 1:15 to go in the game Ontjes hit a quick little turn around 5 footer in front of the basket, OU fouled LaFrentz he missed the front end of a 1 and 1 OU comes down misses a 3 gets the rebound, nice ball movement and of all people to be left alone in the corner for 3 was Ernie Abercrombie who only attempted 10 all year knocked it down and what would be the winning basket. the noble was rocking on TV and though how cool would it be to be their right now at this moment...good times

Last edited:
Back