The Rest of 2017 Class

zacj33

Reaction score
All that I ever hear about in this class is Trae Young, but barely anything about Brady Manek or Hannes Polla. What do you think the roles for each could be next year? With Manek being a local kid, I am sure many have seen him play. Can he help? Or does he need to get bigger first.

All that I ever hear about in this class is Trae Young, but barely anything about Brady Manek or Hannes Polla. What do you think the roles for each could be next year? With Manek being a local kid, I am sure many have seen him play. Can he help? Or does he need to get bigger first.

Manek needs to add at least 20 lbs & learn to play defense. I don't see him contributing this year but should be a good player in a few years.

Polla is big, that's all I know on him.

Manek needs to add at least 20 lbs & learn to play defense. I don't see him contributing this year but should be a good player in a few years.

Polla is big, that's all I know on him.

agreed ... although I dont ever count anyone completely out if they have excessive heart. Polla is a big booty down low. We need those.

Manek is surprisingly athletic and a very good shooter from the perimeter. It's true he needs to add a few pounds to his frame. But with his reputation as a hard worker and his high basketball IQ, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he finds a way to be part of our rotation by conference time. If he can make shots and defend, he'll play. I haven't seen enough of him on defense to say one way or the other.

I did say several weeks ago that if I was in Matt Freeman's shoes, I would be working my tail off this summer. Freeman has somewhat of an advantage in size, but Manek is quicker and more athletic. Their minutes may come down to the one who can make shots.

I am hoping there is another player coming in. We need help inside

Manek is surprisingly athletic and a very good shooter from the perimeter. It's true he needs to add a few pounds to his frame. But with his reputation as a hard worker and his high basketball IQ, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he finds a way to be part of our rotation by conference time. If he can make shots and defend, he'll play. I haven't seen enough of him on defense to say one way or the other.

I did say several weeks ago that if I was in Matt Freeman's shoes, I would be working my tail off this summer. Freeman has somewhat of an advantage in size, but Manek is quicker and more athletic. Their minutes may come down to the one who can make shots.

I agree with this assessment. If Kruger has shown anything it is that he rarely seems to red-shirt kids... I cannot think of many who guys who he made redshirt. Perhaps he hasn't had the flexibility to do this very often, but most of the guys with redshirt attached to their year in school typically did so due to transfer rules or they came in at semester like Freeman. Really McNeace is the only on the current squad I can think of...

I agree with this assessment. If Kruger has shown anything it is that he rarely seems to red-shirt kids... I cannot think of many who guys who he made redshirt. Perhaps he hasn't had the flexibility to do this very often, but most of the guys with redshirt attached to their year in school typically did so due to transfer rules or they came in at semester like Freeman. Really McNeace is the only on the current squad I can think of...

ironically, the most recent redshirt was Dante Buford ;)

ironically, the most recent redshirt was Dante Buford ;)

True, but that was only because he didn't have any choice. He was caught in the middle of an academic squabble between the NCAA and the prep school he attended, Arlington County Day.

In other words, Dante Buford didn't do anything wrong. He was forced to sit out his first season at OU because he was the victim of a dispute.

Here's the story:

http://jacksonville.com/sports/high...eams-caught-middle-arlington-country-day-ncaa

Staff wishes they would've RS odomes. He got in a funk and never got out.

Staff wishes they would've RS odomes. He got in a funk and never got out.

Man I wish that too...How does it work... If the guys insist that they don't want to redshirt does that have a large influence on their decision?

Man I wish that too...How does it work... If the guys insist that they don't want to redshirt does that have a large influence on their decision?

They have to balance the possibility of a kid mentally checking out and transferring. Unfortunately these kids all believe they are NBA bound, and a redshirt just doesn't line up with their self-images.

I remember OU had a loaded team one year and they redshirted Jason Detrick who would have been a senior just so they would have a better team the next season. He wasn't injured, young, or anything. It was specifically to have him for the next year because he was a good player buried on the depth chart.

Am I remembering that correctly?

Last edited:
I remember OU had a loaded team on year and they redshirted Jason Detrick who would have been a senior just so they would have a better team the next season. He wasn't injured, young, or anything. It was specifically to have him for the next year because he was a good player buried on the depth chart.

Am I remembering that correctly?

That is correct and the year after his redshirt year he wasn't nearly as good.

That is correct and the year after his redshirt year he wasn't nearly as good.

He had to play a leadership role that year and just wasn't mentally set up for that. It hurt him.

Just looked, Dertrick is still playing professional in Europe.

Back