The Rest of 2017 Class

Thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling that Manek is going to find a way on the court. He won't be a go to player or anything, but a 6'9 guy that can really shoot the ball will be hard to keep on the bench. He will gain weight quickly, but it may never look like it. I know he has been working out with JD Runnels since his season ended in order to be ready physically for the next level.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling that Manek is going to find a way on the court. He won't be a go to player or anything, but a 6'9 guy that can really shoot the ball will be hard to keep on the bench. He will gain weight quickly, but it may never look like it. I know he has been working out with JD Runnels since his season ended in order to be ready physically for the next level.

Good info on Manek, zacj! I have heard some good things about JD Runnels as a trainer. He'll have Brady ready to go when the season starts.

I also agree with what you said about how hard it will be to keep him on the bench. That's why I predicted earlier that he wiil be part of our rotation by conference time.

Good info on Manek, zacj! I have heard some good things about JD Runnels as a trainer. He'll have Brady ready to go when the season starts.

I also agree with what you said about how hard it will be to keep him on the bench. That's why I predicted earlier that he wiil be part of our rotation by conference time.

He also has the ability to handle the ball that I haven't seen from Freeman. I'd be surprised if he doesn't find a way on the court next season.

If we get the guy from Illinois State, along with Doolittle, Lattin, and McNease, there aren't going to be a ton of minutes for guys like Freeman and Manek.

I still don't buy that any of them (Doolittle, Illinois State guy, Freeman, or Manek) would be able to play the 3 next year. The game is getting smaller, not bigger.

If we get the guy from Illinois State, along with Doolittle, Lattin, and McNease, there aren't going to be a ton of minutes for guys like Freeman and Manek.

I still don't buy that any of them (Doolittle, Illinois State guy, Freeman, or Manek) would be able to play the 3 next year. The game is getting smaller, not bigger.

Not sure where you got the idea that Doolittle, Freeman or Manek could play the three? McIntosh is the only one on your list who who might be able to play that position.

That said, there will always be room for players who can score or make shots from the perimeter. If that means a returning player from last year loses his spot in the starting lineup or plays fewer minutes than before, so be it. The game is about scoring more points than the opponent. Last year's team lost too many close games because we failed to put points on the board at crunch time. Not saying that was the only reason we lost those games. Last year's team also failed to make stops on defense. I think we'll see a marked improvement in both areas this season.

You're right that the game is getting smaller not bigger. But when I asked myself "where's the beef" on last year's team, Doolittle was the only one who fit that description. As a result, 6' 7" to 6' 9" players with the bulk and behinds to create space inside gave us fits sometimes. I think that may be one of the reasons our coaches signed Hannes Polla. I'm also hoping Lattin and McNeace add some muscle to their frame in the offseason, but I'm not counting on it. Gaining weight is not easy for some players.

Not sure where you got the idea that Doolittle, Freeman or Manek could play the three? McIntosh is the only one on your list who who might be able to play that position.

That said, there will always be room for players who can score or make shots from the perimeter. If that means a returning player from last year loses his spot in the starting lineup or plays fewer minutes than before, so be it. The game is about scoring more points than the opponent. Last year's team lost too many close games because we failed to put points on the board at crunch time. Not saying that was the only reason we lost those games. Last year's team also failed to make stops on defense. I think we'll see a marked improvement in both areas this season.

You're right that the game is getting smaller not bigger. But when I asked myself "where's the beef" on last year's team, Doolittle was the only one who fit that description. As a result, 6' 7" to 6' 9" players with the bulk and behinds to create space inside gave us fits sometimes. I think that may be one of the reasons our coaches signed Hannes Polla. I'm also hoping Lattin and McNeace add some muscle to their frame in the offseason, but I'm not counting on it. Gaining weight is not easy for some players.

I guess I just really don't understand your take on McIntosh. You claim he can likely play the 2 or 3, but also claim he is our answer for inside scoring and having a "space eater" in the paint. Space eaters don't play the 2 or 3 in college.

To me, from what I've seen, the guy is a 4 in today's game. He could probably play the 3 (not super effectively in my mind) in a pinch, but I can't imagine that is why LK is recruiting him (to play the 3).

I guess I just really don't understand your take on McIntosh. You claim he can likely play the 2 or 3, but also claim he is our answer for inside scoring and having a "space eater" in the paint. Space eaters don't play the 2 or 3 in college.

To me, from what I've seen, the guy is a 4 in today's game. He could probably play the 3 (not super effectively in my mind) in a pinch, but I can't imagine that is why LK is recruiting him (to play the 3).

I looked at prior posts and never saw where Ada said McIntosh could play the 2 or 3.... although I think he can play the 3. I also never saw a claim he is a space eater. In fact, he's well put together and is about the same size as Doolittle with more experience. Polla is the kid who can be a space eater.

I'll worry about where to play McIntosh if OU somehow gets him to transfer here. He would be a good catch. I could see he along with Odomes and Doolittle splitting the minutes at the 3/4 positions.

I looked at prior posts and never saw where Ada said McIntosh could play the 2 or 3.... although I think he can play the 3. I also never saw a claim he is a space eater. In fact, he's well put together and is about the same size as Doolittle with more experience. Polla is the kid who can be a space eater.

I'll worry about where to play McIntosh if OU somehow gets him to transfer here. He would be a good catch. I could see he along with Odomes and Doolittle splitting the minutes at the 3/4 positions.

Actually I did say McIntosh would likely play the three, but he might be able to swing to the two in some situations. And why not? He was a 35% volume shooter from three last season. I never said he would be a starter, although I do think he's good enough to compete for for a starting spot.

WT is hung up on the fact that I called him a "banger inside." One only has to watch the way he plays to see what I'm talking about. He's a physical player with a strong body and a big booty. Doolittle is the only player on our roster with a similar build. Buford was, too, but he never used his size and strength to an advantage the way McIntosh does. He also didn't play with Mikyle's intensity and determination. WT is ignoring my follow up post where I said he was so much more than a banger inside. By the way, a banger inside is not the same to me as a space eater (see Hannes Polla).

If McIntosh wants to come to OU, I see no reason not to sign him. He will give us more quality depth by filling a vacant scholarship with no effect whatsoever on our 2018 class. If he puts pressure on returning players and the newcomers to compete for minutes, I see that as a good thing. Competition for playing time should be expected, not avoided.

Macintosh could be very effective inside and out. He could have a similar impact as Thomas from Houston. He is not the same size or skill set as Thomas but he could help significantly.

People get really confused about the difference between what position a guy is playing, and what his skill set is.

Manek might have an offensive game best suited for the perimeter, but at least right now, he is likely to get those looks while playing the 4. Same with McIntosh IMO. I get that he has a broad offensive skill set. Still think it's best utilized from the 4 spot.

People get really confused about the difference between what position a guy is playing, and what his skill set is.

Manek might have an offensive game best suited for the perimeter, but at least right now, he is likely to get those looks while playing the 4. Same with McIntosh IMO. I get that he has a broad offensive skill set. Still think it's best utilized from the 4 spot.

the position a guy can play above anything else is defined by who can he guard

If a guy is playing a position he doesn't have the skill set to play, maybe his coaches are the ones who are confused. It's also possible they don't have a better option. I think we could easily make a case for that possibility with at least two players on our roster last year.

If McIntosh is better suited to play the four, which I doubt by the way, he fits the mold of a former OU player he reminds me of the most, Romero Osby. They are similar in size, in the way they play, and in their skill set.

Roe wanted to play the three to prepare for the next level, but he did what was best for the team. Don't be misled by his three point shooting percentages. He didn't attempt many threes. McIntosh was a volume three point shooter last season with a 35% average from distance. While that may not be burning up the nets, 35% is not bad for a player who does a lot of other things well.

I have no idea if Mikyle McIntosh is going to pick OU? All I'm saying is that he is the kind of player who could help us next season. Ask yourself this question. Is he better than the player who occupies the scholarship he'll fill? The answer to that question is easy for me. ;)

Just curious who you think played out of position last year?

Just curious who you think played out of position last year?

Played out of position or our best option to fill a need? Case in point, Jordan Woodard was more comfortable on the wing where he didn't have the responsibility of running the offense. Yet, our coaches had no choice but to play him at the point when Strong-Moore and Shep struggled.

I was responding to your post below, because I interpreted it to mean that you feel a player's skill set doesn't always match up with the position he's playing. If that's not what you meant, I apologize.

I added the possibility in my response that a player may be playing out of position because our coaches don't have a better option in some situations, whether that's during a game due to foul trouble or throughout the course of a season when our depth is not as good as it should be.

Do players play out of positon sometimes? Sure. I think most of us would rather see Khadeem doing work inside instead of falling in love with short range jump shots from twelve and out. I defended Rashard most of the season when he was criticized, and rightly so, for passing up open shots on the perimeter.

Dante was never comfortable at any position. He seemed to be lost at times, never really understanding his role. Maybe that was because he was a tweener, a four-three who wanted to be a three-four.

Who would you put on your playing out of positon list?

Back