This Board....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wish is that some would just come clean on their bias against Capel or their personal agendas. My personal opinion is that we still have some folks on here who, in that part of the brain that rationilizes their opinions, are secretly holding out hope that Kelvin may be coming back someday.That there are five people on here that say fire Capel this season does not suprise me, we have actually had certain posters on here advocate the firing of Bob Stoops at one point on other boards, but what TRULY suprises me is the number of posters who think that Capel has done a "bad job" in his tenure to this point, specifically those that say, well, he's only won with Blake.

There just seems to be a group of posters on here that are getting into the "I told you so" mode where they almost seem to take some pleasure out of seeing the trainwreck that this season has become. Maybe "piling on" is the more appropriate phrase that I am looking for, but in either instance, it is getting sort of tiring hearing about how bad we suck, how terrible our coach is, etc. over and over and over and over and over again. It may be true this season, but when it starts getting to the point where past accomplishments are glossed over or otherwise ignored, it really starts to look like pettiness.

My wish is that some would just come clean on their bias against Capel or their personal agendas. My personal opinion is that we still have some folks on here who, in that part of the brain that rationilizes their opinions, are secretly holding out hope that Kelvin may be coming back someday.That there are five people on here that say fire Capel this season does not suprise me, we have actually had certain posters on here advocate the firing of Bob Stoops at one point on other boards, but what TRULY suprises me is the number of posters who think that Capel has done a "bad job" in his tenure to this point, specifically those that say, well, he's only won with Blake.

There just seems to be a group of posters on here that are getting into the "I told you so" mode where they almost seem to take some pleasure out of seeing the trainwreck that this season has become. Maybe "piling on" is the more appropriate phrase that I am looking for, but in either instance, it is getting sort of tiring hearing about how bad we suck, how terrible our coach is, etc. over and over and over and over and over again. It may be true this season, but when it starts getting to the point where past accomplishments are glossed over or otherwise ignored, it really starts to look like pettiness.

There is absolutely some truth in this.

Pretty simple formula here, and I am not sure why people don't understand it.

Sucking = angry fans
Not sucking = happy fans

Been that way on every board I have ever seen or heard of.

6a00d83452f00669e20120a7268e74970b-320wi

You couldn't be more wrong.

The problem is posts like YOURS that simply assume something that isn't true. I'm guessing you consider me a part of that "crowd". Why in the **** would I want a program I've followed my whole life, a program that has been competitive my whole life, to fall apart before my very eyes?!? This season sucks. I'm not having fun. It isn't fun for me to the craptastic basketball that this OU team plays most games. I make no secrets about how much I like Kelvin as a coach. I think he did alot more for OU hoops then any other coach. I think he is a helluva coach. And despite making some extra phone calls, I think he is a pretty good person too. Always been good to me. That said, there is ZERO chance he comes back to OU. Just won't/can't happen. And I'm fine with that. All I want is a coach that is going to do this program justice. To date, I don't think Capel has done that.

So maybe the problem isn't that I want Capel to fail, it's that I might have been right about him as my opinion has changed. The things that 75% of this board is saying this year, I've been saying since early on. Not b/c I wanted it to be true, but b/c what I saw was leading me that direction. I don't want Capel to fail b/c I don't want OU basketball to be an afterthought. And that is quickly what we are becoming.

So maybe if you and others would quit with this nonsense, we might be able to move past it. To suggest any real OU fan wants us to fail is stupid. Then what, those fans will have to root against the next coach? And the coach after that? Because we all know Kelvin isn't walking through that door.

The problem is posts like YOURS that simply assume something that isn't true. I'm guessing you consider me a part of that "crowd". Why in the **** would I want a program I've followed my whole life, a program that has been competitive my whole life, to fall apart before my very eyes?!? This season sucks. I'm not having fun. It isn't fun for me to the craptastic basketball that this OU team plays most games. I make no secrets about how much I like Kelvin as a coach. I think he did alot more for OU hoops then any other coach. I think he is a helluva coach. And despite making some extra phone calls, I think he is a pretty good person too. Always been good to me. That said, there is ZERO chance he comes back to OU. Just won't/can't happen. And I'm fine with that. All I want is a coach that is going to do this program justice. To date, I don't think Capel has done that.

So maybe the problem isn't that I want Capel to fail, it's that I might have been right about him as my opinion has changed. The things that 75% of this board is saying this year, I've been saying since early on. Not b/c I wanted it to be true, but b/c what I saw was leading me that direction. I don't want Capel to fail b/c I don't want OU basketball to be an afterthought. And that is quickly what we are becoming.

So maybe if you and others would quit with this nonsense, we might be able to move past it. To suggest any real OU fan wants us to fail is stupid. Then what, those fans will have to root against the next coach? And the coach after that? Because we all know Kelvin isn't walking through that door.

Neither is Kevin McHale or Robert Parish. ;)

:clap

I will say this: to say that there isn't still some lingering bitterness over how Kelvin's tenure here ended and how some fans and message board posters viewed and treated him while he was here is flat out wrong. How that manifests itself is up for debate. And that's all I'm going to say.

Negative people will always find something to complain about. Its the way the world works. But you are so correct in what you are saying. My thoughts on these people is that they are living a very unhappy life if they have to get on MB and "pile on" to something like a basketball team struggling to find an identity. I am ok with disagreements but some of it is over the top. But, more embarrassing for them IMO.

Would like to personally thank OU basketball for being so craptastic this year. Due to our recent struggles and sub-par performance, I have been able to fully concentrate on my studies, which would have been a problem if I needed to catch every minute of every game...CBB overall is less important to me this year.

Thank you Jeff, Willie, Tiny and any others involved who were able to make this happen.

I think he [Kelvin] did alot more for OU hoops then any other coach.

You really think he did a lot more for the program than Bruce Drake and Billy Tubbs?

Would like to personally thank OU basketball for being so craptastic this year. Due to our recent struggles and sub-par performance, I have been able to fully concentrate on my studies, which would have been a problem if I needed to catch every minute of every game...CBB overall is less important to me this year.

Thank you Jeff, Willie, Tiny and any others involved who were able to make this happen.

My grad school work has def. improved!! :D

You really think he did a lot more for the program than Bruce Drake and Billy Tubbs?

I'm not going to get into this here. The mods don't want this type of discussion going on. But I'll leave you with two numbers:

Kelvin's winning %: 72%
Drake's winning %: 52%

I'm not going to get into this here. The mods don't want this type of discussion going on. But I'll leave you with two numbers:

Just for future reference anyone know what was Tubbs % was?

Conference championships and Final Fours all favor Drake. Drake is also in the basketball HOF.

This board is GREAT!!

There are tons of knowledgeable basketball fans on here as well as the negative nancys that keep us all on our toes...

Most of the people that jump on here when things are going bad are just for comical relief IMO, i dont take any of them seriously...very few actually bring any objective opinions...

and even some of us regular posters go off the deep end from time to time but who wouldnt go insane with this type of season, right?

This board is GREAT!!

There are tons of knowledgeable basketball fans on here as well as the negative nancys that keep us all on our toes...

Most of the people that jump on here when things are going bad are just for comical relief IMO, i dont take any of them seriously...very few actually bring any objective opinions...

and even some of us regular posters go off the deep end from time to time but who wouldnt go insane with this type of season, right?

I wholeheartedly agree.

Just for future reference anyone know what was Tubbs % was?

Sampson's and Tubbs' record at OU were quite similar. One final four, one elite 8, 4 sweet 16s for Tubbs and 3 for Sampson, each won 3 conference tourneys, Tubbs won 5 regular season titles and Sampson won 1, and each had too many underachieving tourney teams.

And one had OU placed on probation on his watch.

So, to say Sampson did "A LOT" more than any coach in OU history....I disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back