This Board....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samson should have 2 elite 8 and 1 final four based on his seedings this is what he had.. not the same years and 6 sweet 16's rather than the 3 he obtained.

Tubbs should have had four final fours , 5 elite 8's , and 7 sweet 16's rather than the 1 final four, two elite 8's and 4 sweet 16's he actually had.

It seems to me there records are pretty similar. but Samson under performs less than Tubbs.

The post I quoted obviously favors Kelvin over Billy. I could have an absolute field day playing devil's advocate, but it would serve no constructive purpose.

The bottom line, as I've been saying for several years, and will continue to say for several more years, is that OU fans were fortunate to have two great coaches back-to-back in Billy Tubbs and Kelvin Sampson. I hope that in the near future I can comfortably say that OU had a "three-peat" in that regard.

When they were a 3 seed they usually lost to what a 6 seed? I bet a 6 seed goes to the Sweet 16 a lot more than anyone would think. Seems like there's about 6 seeds in the S16 every year. That's not really an upset.

No, but when a team goes 0-6 in these types of games (3-6, 7-10, 6-11), it will get on some fans' nerves, and understandably so. That's why I was so excited when we beat St.Joe's in 2008. That was really only OU's 2nd NCAA Tournament victory this decade against a relatively equivalent opponent (Arizona in '02 was the other victory). We finished the decade with three such wins when OU beat Syracuse last year.

While I realize Jeff Capel has a long way to go to deserve mentioning in the same breath as Tubbs and Sampson, I like the fact that (so far, anyway) he can win these types of games. Think about it. In the past 20 years, OU has won three "toss-up games" in the NCAA Tournament, and two of them belong to Jeff Capel. This is probably the main reason why he deserves a pass for this debacle of a season.

At the end of next season .... If OU wins 20 games and loses in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, that will be a good season for this young team and this young coach.

Here is my perspective. I go to the games in person. The regular season games. Those games are important to me. I ENJOY watching "my" team (1) play good basketball and (2) improve during the course of the season. That is what is the most fun for me. Play good basketball and improve, then you will win a lot of games and beat some very good teams along the way.

The regular season is four months long. The enjoyment for me builds as "my" team wins and improves. There are always some setbacks, and I also enjoy watching "my" team fight to overcome adversity.

OF COURSE it is wonderful to make a deep run into the post season; but, that is the icing on the cake. You MUST first have a good (and fun) four months during the regular season to even have a chance for some more fun over a few short weekends of the post season.

I long for the days when OU won 20 games each and every season, year after consistent year, overcoming adversity along the way (as you must to be a good team). I hope, Coach Capel can get back to that, so he can show us all how great he can be in the post season. You cannot win if you don't get there.

I personally don't see the NCAA tourney and wins in the tourney as "icing on the cake". The regular season is a means to enter the tournament which is by far the most important part of the season.

I long for the days when OU won 20 games each and every season, year after consistent year, overcoming adversity along the way (as you must to be a good team). I hope, Coach Capel can get back to that, so he can show us all how great he can be in the post season. You cannot win if you don't get there.

He just won thirty last season, can he take the extra ten and apply them to his first season and this last season? LOL!

I personally don't see the NCAA tourney and wins in the tourney as "icing on the cake". The regular season is a means to enter the tournament which is by far the most important part of the season.

While I agree with that, it goes to my point about these things being subjective. Traveler and TU are every bit as correct in their logic as we are in ours.

The thing is, success in the NCAA Tournament is very important for coaches looking to get into the Hall of Fame. Based on regular season success, Norm Stewart should be a HOF lock. However, he did not win an NCAA Tournament game from 1981 - 1988 despite six appearances, five of which he was a top-3 seed. Granted, for a few of them, Missouri got a first-round bye, but no wins is pretty bad. If he had even one Final Four run during that time frame, I think he would have been inducted a long time ago. Hopefully, he will still make it someday because the man is deserving. Missouri won more games in the last 20+ years of the Big 8 Conference than any other program...including Kansas.

While I agree with that, it goes to my point about these things being subjective. Traveler and TU are every bit as correct in their logic as we are in ours.

The thing is, success in the NCAA Tournament is very important for coaches looking to get into the Hall of Fame. Based on regular season success, Norm Stewart should be a HOF lock. However, he did not win an NCAA Tournament game from 1981 - 1988 despite six appearances, five of which he was a top-3 seed. Granted, for a few of them, Missouri got a first-round bye, but no wins is pretty bad. If he had even one Final Four run during that time frame, I think he would have been inducted a long time ago. Hopefully, he will still make it someday because the man is deserving. Missouri won more games in the last 20+ years of the Big 8 Conference than any other program...including Kansas.

Your story about Norm Stewart is just the start to showing how important the tourney is when it comes to a coach's resume (and them getting big contracts). When a coach is described, it almost always starts with their tournament success....Coach X led his team to the 19XX championship, 4 Final Fours, etc...then it will get down to conference championships and winning %.

And those coaches that are up for the HOF and such things, it goes without saying that their regular seasons were good, and most likely, consistent. You can't do well in the tournament if you don't make the tournament.

And those coaches that are up for the HOF and such things, it goes without saying that their regular seasons were good, and most likely, consistent. You can't do well in the tournament if you don't make the tournament.

LOL.....hence the reason I posted "The regular season is a means to enter the tournament".

This is a given ... An very good regular season is REQUIRED before a team even gets a chance at the NCAA tournament. Logically then, it seems that the regular season is VERY IMPORTANT!

However, I concede that "icing on the cake" is probably not a proper descriptive. I was there, in person, at all the OU Final-4s during my lifetime .. 1988 and 2002. They were most fun, even though OU lost. But, those regular seasons were an absolute blast. I enjoyed the entire ride, the entire season. To me, those regular seasons were very "important." As were many others for teams that did not make the Final-4.

Also, going 0-0 in the NCAA tourney in any given season, well, it sucks. It is much better to go 0-1, as that means you were there, and not sitting at home like so many other crappy teams.

This is a given ... An very good regular season is REQUIRED before a team even gets a chance at the NCAA tournament. Logically then, it seems that the regular season is VERY IMPORTANT!

However, I concede that "icing on the cake" is probably not a proper descriptive. I was there, in person, at all the OU Final-4s during my lifetime .. 1988 and 2002. They were most fun, even though OU lost. But, those regular seasons were an absolute blast. I enjoyed the entire ride, the entire season. To me, those regular seasons were very "important." As were many others for teams that did not make the Final-4.

Also, going 0-0 in the NCAA tourney in any given season, well, it sucks. It is much better to go 0-1, as that means you were there, and not sitting at home like so many other crappy teams.

I'm not saying that the regular season isn't important, that is beyond obvious.

But, I would take a season in which OU was a bubble team, finished say 5th in the Big 12 with a record around 22-10 then made the Sweet 16 over a season in which they finished 2nd in the Big 12, finished with a record around 25-7 and was upset in the first round of the NCAA tourney. Some would take that latter and that is fine...we can agree to disagree.

I personally would take an Elite 8 year followed by missing the tourney over two tourney years with first round exits. Again, some would take the latter and that is fine.

And no, that is not an attempt to defend Capel and this season...I'm just as disappointed with this year as everyone else.

I understand.

As an aside, I have been a season ticket holder since 1977. I have become spoiled. Jeff Capel is not the first OU coach to make an Elite-8. I sincerely hope (and pray) that he is not the first in a long long time to miss 3 out of 5 NCAA tournaments.

I understand.

As an aside, I have been a season ticket holder since 1977. I have become spoiled. Jeff Capel is not the first OU coach to make an Elite-8. I sincerely hope (and pray) that he is not the first in a long long time to miss 3 out of 5 NCAA tournaments.

I personally give him a free pass on the first year....this year, not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back