This is two games against crap teams that OU has not looked good...

Dude that team was not that bad of a team at all. They had a good plan to come in and slow down the game. Even when they fell behind they stuck to the plan so as to not get blown out. What is so hard to understand about that.

So we let the other team, a much less talented team, dictate how we play?

Shouldn't be that way.

Not to mention, PACE had nothing to do with my argument. Their pace isn't why we still don't play any defense inside. Pace isn't why we got outrebounded.

This team is going to get killed on the glass all year.

Dude that team was not that bad of a team at all. They had a good plan to come in and slow down the game. Even when they fell behind they stuck to the plan so as to not get blown out. What is so hard to understand about that.

Extend your defense, put pressure on the perimeter.

Don't let them settle into a rhythm.

So we let the other team, a much less talented team, dictate how we play?

Shouldn't be that way.

Kelvin won many games against more talented teams by dictating the pace of the game. That's exactly what ULM attempted to do. That's what any team that doesn't match up well athletically will do. The difference is that ULM wasn't able to win the game.

Not at all we changed it up and pressed them. We turned them over a few times and got on a lil run. Once we have the lead its up to them to speed up the temple because there is no sense in gambling for steals with a 10 point lead. If they want to slow the game down 10 that is there perrogative.

Kelvin won many games against more talented teams by dictating the pace of the game. That's exactly what ULM attempted to do. That's what any team that doesn't match up well athletically will do. The difference is that ULM wasn't able to win the game.

The difference was that OU was pretty darn talented too, and OU ran that system nearly 100% of the time.

I don't think that is the normal ULM style, and the talent difference between ULM/OU should have been greater than any talent difference between OU and UCONN/MSU/KU, or whomever you were talking about.

OU should have been able to force ULM into playing however we wanted to play.

Anybody notice that the VERY same posters that praise Capel for "raising the bar at OU", and propelling us to new heights, are the same ones now complaining about expectations?

HI-frickin-LARIOUS!

However, the VERY same posters that complain all the time...well, they're still complaining. Complained during our tourney run last year. Complained after the UNC loss. And, they're STILL complaining today. It must REALLY suck to have such a negative attitude.

WE WON BY 11!!!!

Good grief...

Against VCU we will play a lot better and probably win. VCU is a much better step in competition than what we've faced however they also like to press a lot which will go into OU's favor because we have the talent advantage and these young kids like to run a lot. I'm not confident in our defense right now so we could lose the game. But we'll score every bit of 80.

However, the VERY same posters that complain all the time...well, they're still complaining. Complained during our tourney run last year. Complained after the UNC loss. And, they're STILL complaining today. It must REALLY suck to have such a negative attitude.

WE WON BY 11!!!!

Good grief...

I know you aren't talking about me. We weren't as good as UNC, that is why we lost. Why complain about that?

This MAY BE one of the single, dumbest statements ever made on a message board. You MAY have played basketball at one point in your life, but you obviously didn't learn much from it. NO ONE does this consistently...ESPECIALLY a young team.

My biggest complaint isn't about the youth, it's about the fact that we've started every season under Capel in a sluggish manner.

You're getting more ridiculous by the second. First of all, we won our first game by 24 points. Our second by 11. Get a freakin' grip.

We've had plenty of seasons under Kelvin where we started slow, struggled to pull away from a few teams with lesser talent. Plenty. And other good teams across the country have games like last nights early in every season - some of them EVEN LOSE. This is not particular to Jeff Capel.

Last edited:
Talent creates expectations... I mean, everyone on this board was saying this is the 3rd best team in the Big 12, and that was ALL based on the amount of Mcdonalds All-Americans and Willie being a lotto pick.

Sure, the team is going to be get better and win some good games... I am not saying the team is terrible, but they are going to be terribly average in my opinion.

The difference was that OU was pretty darn talented too, and OU ran that system nearly 100% of the time.

I don't think that is the normal ULM style, and the talent difference between ULM/OU should have been greater than any talent difference between OU and UCONN/MSU/KU, or whomever you were talking about.

Talented? Yes. Athletic? No.

It wasn't in our best interest to get into a running game with teams at that time so we forced them to play at a pace we liked and won the game. That's what ULM attempted to do but they couldn't pull it off.

With 4 freshmen either starting or getting extensive minutes, there are going to be a lot of games this year that are object lessons for them. How many years has it been since OU had this many freshmen playing this many minutes? Personally, I can't think of another team in Tubbs or Kelvins eras - they both brought in a lot of JUCOs.

everyone on this board was saying this is the 3rd best team in the Big 12

...and NO LOGICAL person has seen ANYTHING to change that opinion...if they've watched the other teams in our league. No?

Talent creates expectations... I mean, everyone on this board was saying this is the 3rd best team in the Big 12, and that was ALL based on the amount of Mcdonalds All-Americans and Willie being a lotto pick.

Sure, the team is going to be get better and win some good games... I am not saying the team is terrible, but they are going to be terribly average in my opinion.

As of today, what is your win-loss Big 12 prediction for this team?

As of today, what is your win-loss Big 12 prediction for this team?

Wins: Baylor, Baylor, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Losses: Kansas, Texas, Texas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma State

Toss ups: Tech in Lubbock, Colorado in Boulder, Iowa State in Norman

That is a lot different than what I thought a month ago.

Wins: Baylor, Baylor, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Losses: Kansas, Texas, Texas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma State

Toss ups: Tech in Lubbock, Colorado in Boulder, Iowa State in Norman

That is a lot different than what I thought a month ago.

Here's my point. You have this "doom and gloom" attitude based on our 2-game performance, yet you fail to apply it to the rest of the teams in our league, or did you just miss the OSU-UCO game???? Again, I'm not saying they will win that game against OSU, but you lost some credibility when you post your disappointment in this team and then pick them to lose to a team that has looked borderline HORRIBLE thus far.

lol ooh bigabd predicting losses. The big 12 is sooo Daunting..... It has 4-5 good teams after that is pretty thin.

but you lost some credibility when you post your disappointment in this team and then pick them to lose to a team that has looked borderline HORRIBLE thus far.

OU has looked just as bad so far, and I wont pick this team (with 4 freshman and a soph as the only main contributors) to go into Stillwater and beat Oklahoma State.

lol ooh bigabd predicting losses. The big 12 is sooo Daunting..... It has 4-5 good teams after that is pretty thin.

The Big 12 is much better than that. As usual (just like in football), you think OU is the only team that plays. You predict a win every single game for OU in football and basketball, and have since middle school. You sir, are a clown.

yet you fail to apply it to the rest of the teams in our league

I bet I see more games from other Big 12 schools than most on the board.

Back