Tom Izzo threatens Roy Williams

Sooner23

Reaction score
Roy better watch his back the next time he walks down a dark alley by himself.

EAST LANSING -- North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams took another shot at Delvon Roe after his team defeated Michigan State on Tuesday.

Thursday, Tom Izzo fired back at the Spartans’ first practice since that loss.

Williams, after indirectly criticizing Roe’s recruitment to MSU in an autobiography released this year, took a more direct tack Tuesday.

"Let's be honest, he said he was coming (to North Carolina)," Williams said of Roe. "I looked everyday in practice and I didn't see him there.”

Roe declined comment, which pleased Izzo, even if Williams’ decision to personally direct another recruitment criticism at the player didn’t.

“I was very proud of how he handled it, because I didn’t appreciate it,” Izzo said of Roe. “I wasn’t going to let that be a big thing in the game. But of all the kids in the world that we’re going to pick on, they picked the wrong kid. I can give him a handful that he can pick on who maybe wouldn’t be as honest and up front about things, but him and his family? No, he picked the wrong kid.

“The other thing I thought was wrong was the insinuation like, almost, that Michigan State did something wrong to get him. So he picked the wrong kid, he picked the wrong family and he picked the wrong program. And there’ll be a time. There’ll be a time.”

Williams first singled out Roe in his book, “Hard Work: A Life On and Off the Court,” when he claimed a certain recruit committed to North Carolina then “lied” to him by going to Michigan State instead.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index...su-spartans+(MSU+Spartans+Impact+-+MLive.com)

Bad form by Roy...just say "another school" instead of mentioning it by name.

man I'm kind of surprised at that weak sauce move by Williams--didn't expect that from him.

Don't dis IZZO's crew.

Bad form by Roy...just say "another school" instead of mentioning it by name.

Even better, just keep your mouth shut and say nothing.

OU fans have had plenty to say about Damion James and the way he lied to Coach Capel and then deceived him on the telephone the following week, by having a friend pretend he was Damion. But to my knowledge, Jeff has never said anything publicly about that incident, and I respect him for that. Wish I could say the same about Williams.

I remember when IRLOU threatened Cheno.

Even better, just keep your mouth shut and say nothing.
OU fans have had plenty to say about Damion James and the way he lied to Coach Capel and then deceived him on the telephone the following week, by having a friend pretend he was Damion. But to my knowledge, Jeff has never said anything publicly about that incident, and I respect him for that. Wish I could say the same about Williams.

Exactly, he had nothing to gain by saying anything about the matter.

F Roy Williams all those years in Gheyville,Kansas, made him a woman. Taking a shot at a kid for changing his mind when you make 2 million a year off the backs of kids not being paid is worse than weak. If he did that to my kid I would hit in the back of the head with a axe handle when no one was looking.

He acts like Delvon Roe is the first player in the history of collegiate athletics to switch his commitment.

But to my knowledge, Jeff has never said anything publicly about that incident, and I respect him for that.

I read about it in the newspaper, though it was part of Capel saying he had moved on from being mad at/about Damion James.

Jeff Capel is a really compelling figure, super smart, pretty sensitive actually, I think, with an interesting background. He is a much more compelling guy than Bob Stoops or Travis Ford or Sherri Coale or a lot of the local coaches. It is why I think there is a really good profile out there to be written about him and why I get so frustrated at the "Jeff Capel is a good coach because he is young and listens to rap" stories that keep getting written.

ousooners1baby said:
How does Cheno and Grace feel about this? Is it fine?

It's good news for Kansas, to be sure.

I also wonder what all the recruits who signed with Kansas in 2003 thought when they got to practice and Roy was never there...

F Roy Williams all those years in Gheyville,Kansas, made him a woman. Taking a shot at a kid for changing his mind when you make 2 million a year off the backs of kids not being paid is worse than weak. If he did that to my kid I would hit in the back of the head with a axe handle when no one was looking.

OOOO-kay.

JBaker said:
I also wonder what all the recruits who signed with Kansas in 2003 thought when they got to practice and Roy was never there...

Ha! Well done

Roy was just teaching them at the KU School of Hard Knocks...

Roy can say anything he wants as long as he keeps kicking Izzo's......

I read about it in the newspaper, though it was part of Capel saying he had moved on from being mad at/about Damion James.

Jeff Capel is a really compelling figure, super smart, pretty sensitive actually, I think, with an interesting background. He is a much more compelling guy than Bob Stoops or Travis Ford or Sherri Coale or a lot of the local coaches. It is why I think there is a really good profile out there to be written about him and why I get so frustrated at the "Jeff Capel is a good coach because he is young and listens to rap" stories that keep getting written.

If you read it in the newspaper, I stand corrected. I must have missed it.

I agree with what you said about Capel, though. He is a class act!

If you read it in the newspaper, I stand corrected. I must have missed it.

I agree with what you said about Capel, though. He is a class act!

Jeff is all class the kid has mad social skills. He makes the sooner nation look like a million bucks.

If Tom Izzo coached at UNC he would have at least 3 National Titles.

Back