Top 100 Draft Prospects

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
Culver at Tech and Hayes at Texas are ranked in the top ten, so it’s likely both will be gone if they continue to be ranked that high.

Will Culver drop in the rankings following his performances in the last two games of the playoffs? I hope not. He was definitely not himself, but he seems like such a great young man I want him to do well..

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

PJ Washington at 15 would be a steal. Not an overly impressive athlete, but he's just a ball player. He'll be a really good role player for somebody for the next decade.

The Hunter kid makes me a little nervous that high. He's a 3/4 type of guy that defends, but will he be able to score at the next level?? I kind of don't think so. I could see him eventually being a 12-16pt guy at best. Maybe a Trevor Ariza type. I think if the Hawks could land Culver & Reddish/Hunter that would be huge! Hayes I like his potential, but drafting him in the top 8 seems to be a reach.

It's a very weak draft, meaning if you are any kind of prospect you should probably leave.

Grimes at KU leaving?? Wtf? Was not really
Impressed by him this year...seems
Like he would do himself a huge favor by coming back and improving his stock!

I disagree. Everyone at ku should leave.

I think the issue is that at KU, he won't be able to play point guard, which is his best position and where most people see him playing in the pros. Plus, he is a guy who always expected to be a one-year guy, and it's hard for those guys to change plans after they have spent so many years planning on going pro after their freshman year.

I think the issue is that at KU, he won't be able to play point guard, which is his best position and where most people see him playing in the pros. Plus, he is a guy who always expected to be a one-year guy, and it's hard for those guys to change plans after they have spent so many years planning on going pro after their freshman year.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I just think Grimes and others like him are going to learn some hard truths. There are only 60 players in the world selected in the NBA draft. At any given time, there are not more than 450 players in the world on active NBA rosters (usually fewer). The odds of an undrafted player making it in the NBA are infinitesimal.

So the options are G-League or overseas. Overseas is almost certainly more lucrative, and I would love it, but life overseas isn't for everyone. The G-League is not a good option. $35k base salary. At best, you hope for a 2 way contract. Maybe you get some training camp $ or a 10 day. It's a 50 game schedule to play in empty gyms in Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Canton, and Rio Grande. And all of that for an extremely small chance of catching on with an NBA team? Not exactly a life of glamour and luxury.

All that said, I get it. Not getting paid and doing academic work you don't care about wasn't the dream either. But if I was going to go undrafted, I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to go play in the G-League.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I just think Grimes and others like him are going to learn some hard truths. There are only 60 players in the world selected in the NBA draft. At any given time, there are not more than 450 players in the world on active NBA rosters (usually fewer). The odds of an undrafted player making it in the NBA are infinitesimal.

So the options are G-League or overseas. Overseas is almost certainly more lucrative, and I would love it, but life overseas isn't for everyone. The G-League is not a good option. $35k base salary. At best, you hope for a 2 way contract. Maybe you get some training camp $ or a 10 day. It's a 50 game schedule to play in empty gyms in Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Canton, and Rio Grande. And all of that for an extremely small chance of catching on with an NBA team? Not exactly a life of glamour and luxury.

All that said, I get it. Not getting paid and doing academic work you don't care about wasn't the dream either. But if I was going to go undrafted, I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to go play in the G-League.

KU payed him im sure... (joke...)

The g league will be a pay cut

Javonte Smart joins list of LSU athletes declaring for NBA Draft
https://www.tigerrag.com/javonte-smart-joins-list-of-lsu-athletes-declaring-for-nba-draft/

A fourth LSU basketball player announced plans to join the ranks at the next level on Thursday morning as freshman guard Javonte Smart made his decision to declare for the NBA Draft public via an Instagram post.

Smart joins freshman forward Naz Reid, sophomore point guard Tremont Waters and junior shooting guard Skylar Mays as Tigers who have announced they will go through the NBA Draft process.

Only 2 of these LSU players are on the Top-100 list posted by Ada above.

#49 .. Tremont Waters
#50 .. Naz Reid

Last edited:

Counterpoint: they're getting paid nothing to play in college and will be allowed to be full-time basketball players with NBA-style training all year long. I would guess that the G League is better training for the NBA than college is & they get paid to do it.

Counterpoint: they're getting paid nothing to play in college and will be allowed to be full-time basketball players with NBA-style training all year long. I would guess that the G League is better training for the NBA than college is & they get paid to do it.

Agreed. It's one of my pet peeves when people act like players need the NCAA to develop their skills. Nothing prepares you better for being in the NBA than the NBA. Just ask guys like Kobe, KG, and Lebron. It was real awkward for the 1-and-done advocates about a decade ago when the Lakers won the title. I think it was 2008 when their top 5 players had a combined 1 year of NCAA experience. The team they beat (Orlando) was very similar other than Nelson.

Agreed. It's one of my pet peeves when people act like players need the NCAA to develop their skills. Nothing prepares you better for being in the NBA than the NBA. Just ask guys like Kobe, KG, and Lebron. It was real awkward for the 1-and-done advocates about a decade ago when the Lakers won the title. I think it was 2008 when their top 5 players had a combined 1 year of NCAA experience. The team they beat (Orlando) was very similar other than Nelson.

Let me be clear. The guys who are lottery picks, or even first rounders, should go now, if not before. I wouldn't even argue with a kid at that level that wanted to go play professionally overseas. You'll get no argument from me with those guys.

My point is that the rush to come out of college by these guys who will be back end of the 2nd or not drafted at all can be a bad choice. The assumption here is that the guy has the ability to "develop" into a player that NBA teams want. If that's true, then the player is voluntarily leaving the chance at first round money and extended deals on the table in exchange to go "develop" into a player that might get shorter and less lucrative free agent deals.

Back