Top ten Big 12 freshman you dont know yet...

thebigabd

Reaction score
We all know about the big names coming into the conference, but there are quite a few really good players coming into the conference you may not have heard of yet...

1.) Rodney Mcgruder (6'4'' 205-Kansas State)- Regarded as one of the top shooting guards in the country, including the No. 84 overall prospect in the Rivals150 by Rivals.com and No. 89 in the ESPNU100 by ESPN Scouts, Inc. Named co-most valuable player of the Reebok All-American Game, where he posted a team-high 24 points and seven rebounds for Team Finish.

2.) Andrew Fitzgerald (6'8'' 258-Oklahoma)- A four-star recruit according to Rivals.com and Scout.com ... Ranked No. 68 overall by ESPN.com, No. 70 by Rivals.com and No. 85 by Scout.com ... Regarded as No. 9 center in 2009 recruiting class by Rivals.com ... Averaged 22.5 points and 8.0 rebounds per game in 2008-09 at Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H. ... Earned first-team national prep school All-America honors.

3.) Jaye Crockett (6'7'' 190-Texas Tech)- Played for J. D. Isler at Clovis High School....Jaye averaged 29 points and 12 rebounds as a senior... he earned all-state first team honors as a senior. averaged 20.9 points and 10.4 rebounds per game as a junior...was the only junior named to New Mexico's first team all-state squad.

4.) Christian Standhardinger (6'8'' 210-Nebraska)- Top recruit for Nebraska out of Germany. In 2009, Standhardinger averaged a stellar 22.2 points, 8.5 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.6 steals over 26 games for Ehingen. He hit 54.7 percent (151-of-276) from the floor, including 40.6 percent (43-of-106) from beyond the arc. At the charity stripe, he knocked down 146-of-202 attempts for a solid 72.3-percent accuracy. In the final of the 2008 U19 German Championship, the 6-8, 210-pounder scored 37 points and posted 12 rebounds. He also earned top scorer honors at the Europe’s Best Junior Tournament in 2007 and was the MVP of the German Top 4 in 2007.

5.) Torin Walker (6'11'' 245-Oklahoma State)- was selected first-team All-State for Class AAA as a senior by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution..averaged 15 points, 12.3 rebounds and 5.3 blocked shots per game as a senior...was named all-region as a junior when he averaged 17 points, 14 rebounds and five blocked shots...ranked as the No. 14 center prospect in the country by ESPNU.

6.) Alec Burks (6'6'' 185-Colorado)- 2009 Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Missouri • Senior year averaged 23.0 points per game, in addition to 6.8 rpg., 3.0 apg., 1.6 spg. • Also named Kansas City Star and Metro Sports Player of the Year during his senior year • Helped team to a 29-2 record during his senior season. Career leader in points scored in school history.

7.) Stephen Pledger (6'4'' 221-Oklahoma)- A first-team National Christian School Athletic Association All-American as a senior for 32-2 Atlantic Shores (Va.) Christian School ... Averaged 21.5 points, 7.3 rebounds and 4.5 assists in 2008-09 for state runner-up Seahawks ... Shot .544 from the field, .491 from 3-point range (104-for-112) and .830 from the free throw line ... Named Metro Conference player of the year and first-team all-state (Virginia Independent Schools) ... Rated as the 84th-best player in the 2009 recruiting class and the nation's 21st-best shooting guard by ESPN.com.

8.) Dragan Sekelja (7'0'' 275-Baylor)- Averaged 19.0 points, 10.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in 2008-09 for Cibona Zagreb • Led CZ to third-place finish at Croatian Junior National championships • Scored 18 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in third-place game • Member of U16 and U16 Croatia National Teams • As member of U16 National Team, participated at 2007 European Championships in Greece.

9.) John Underwood (6'9'' 210-Missouri)- Played one year of prep school basketball for Head Coach Van Whitfield at Princeton Day Academy in Lanham, Md. ... Averaged 18 points, 11 rebounds and eight blocked shots while taking his club to a 33-3 overall record and a #7 national ranking in the National Private School Athletic Association ... Was a first team All-American by the NPSAA...One of the most prolific shot-blockers in Arizona High School basketball during his tenure and blocked 200 shots at Alhambra High School and produced three triple-doubles during that season.

10.) Khris Middleton (6'7'' 215- Texas A&M)- Rated No. 64 by ESPN.com, which also ranked him as the best shooter among the nation's small forward prospects ... averaged 22.4 points and 8.6 rebounds as a prep senior, earning all-state honors and lerading team to state title game ... averaged 21.0 points and 8.6 rebounds as a junior ... twice earned state player of the year honors.

One thing I would have to say about you is that you are not overly biased towards OU when you make these comments about the Big XII and other teams. In fact, I think you do one of the best jobs of not being biased. (I don't always agree with you, but I do think you do an excellent job of not being biased). Therefore, I really like that you have Fitzgerald and Pledger on the list.

One thing I would have to say about you is that you are not overly biased towards OU when you make these comments about the Big XII and other teams. In fact, I think you do one of the best jobs of not being biased. (I don't always agree with you, but I do think you do an excellent job of not being biased). Therefore, I really like that you have Fitzgerald and Pledger on the list.
I agree. I noticed a long time ago that abd will always give you his honest opinion about players, coaches, and teams. I don't think he minds at all for others to disagree with him, that is part of the fun of having this site to generate some discussions. But, he shows no favoritism when he comments.

3.) Jaye Crockett (6'7'' 190-Texas Tech)- Played for J. D. Isler at Clovis High School....Jaye averaged 29 points and 12 rebounds as a senior... he earned all-state first team honors as a senior. averaged 20.9 points and 10.4 rebounds per game as a junior...was the only junior named to New Mexico's first team all-state squad.
8.6 rebounds as a junior ... twice earned state player of the year honors.

Crockett should be a first team all-conference by the time he graduates if playing for Tech doesn't hold him down.

Crockett should be a first team all-conference by the time he graduates if playing for Tech doesn't hold him down.

wow, thats pretty high praise. Have you seen him play?

Thats my style... thanks!

Fitzgerald is a beast.

He is the next Arthur Johnson.

I'm hearing good things about Walker. He's very athletic for a 6'10" or so guy. He was tested at a 30 inch vertical his sophomore year in high schoo., which for how tall he is, is impressive.

I think that is the NM area fan in you, cbest.

Regarding abd,

I agree guys. He does a great job with his research of all the Big 12 teams. My one beef with some of his posts is that they put the weaker Big 12 teams on a pedestal, while downplaying the players on the traditional Big 12 powers. It is an agenda that gets tiresome after awhile. If Shane-Tunks or Jeter were coming to OU or OSU, you can bet your bottom dollar that abd wouldn't pimp them near as much.

Other than that, I think he always does a good job.

Back