Transfer Portal 2024

I don't think OU will match most of these SEC schools when it comes to paying players
If the only thing the player is looking for is a payday OU might not be the right place for them. There will be some women who will go to the highest bidder and not care about anything else. I'll call those the mercenary players. There are a lot of them in the men's game. I'm sure the women are happy that they can get the NIL money but I think they also care about team chemistry and style of play. Caitlin Clark has made a lot of NIL money in the past year. I'll bet she had a lot of under the table offers from other schools that would have paid her even more than she gets at Iowa. But she remained loyal to Iowa and her teammates. That's the type of player I think Jennie is looking for.

If the only thing the player is looking for is a payday OU might not be the right place for them. There will be some women who will go to the highest bidder and not care about anything else. I'll call those the mercenary players. There are a lot of them in the men's game. I'm sure the women are happy that they can get the NIL money but I think they also care about team chemistry and style of play. Caitlin Clark has made a lot of NIL money in the past year. I'll bet she had a lot of under the table offers from other schools that would have paid her even more than she gets at Iowa. But she remained loyal to Iowa and her teammates. That's the type of player I think Jennie is looking for.
I actually think it’ll be worse than the men’s. For MOST …actually all… the NIL money will be better than anything they can get after playing.

Clark will be the #1 pick with prob a less than 100k salary contract. Obviously she’s got endorsements but the wnba can’t pay them like the nba. She’s an anomaly.

Hence the NIL MIGHT be the best $ they’ll get.

Who knows…

I actually think it’ll be worse than the men’s. For MOST …actually all… the NIL money will be better than anything they can get after playing.

Clark will be the #1 pick with prob a less than 100k salary contract. Obviously she’s got endorsements but the wnba can’t pay them like the nba. She’s an anomaly.

Hence the NIL MIGHT be the best $ they’ll get.

Who knows…
The biggest difference between the women and the men is that the women's graduation rate is higher than the men's. We've had former OU players go on to be doctors, lawyers and nurses. Caitlin Clark is the exception with regard to the NIL. The average amount of NIL money system-wide will be far less for the women than for the men and certainly not life-changing.

The biggest difference between the women and the men is that the women's graduation rate is higher than the men's. We've had former OU players go on to be doctors, lawyers and nurses. Caitlin Clark is the exception with regard to the NIL. The average amount of NIL money system-wide will be far less for the women than for the men and certainly not life-changing.
The women will still graduate… that’s the whole point. Getting some $$$ for playing ball in college since most won’t in post college will be a draw.

Ya know college credits do transfer?

It won’t be as widespread because the amount of women players demanding it but it’ll be a draw none the less.

I’d go as far as maybe more detrimental since only a handful of women’s programs can pay big. So the good players that can demand it will be at a few select schools

The women will still graduate… that’s the whole point. Getting some $$$ for playing ball in college since most won’t in post college will be a draw.

Ya know college credits do transfer?

It won’t be as widespread because the amount of women players demanding it but it’ll be a draw none the less.

I’d go as far as maybe more detrimental since only a handful of women’s programs can pay big. So the good players that can demand it will be at a few select schools
I think the percentage of women who think they will make big bucks professionally is lower than the percentage of men who are under this illusion. They might play in Europe for a while or even in the WNBA. But they know that they will need some kind of career after their playing days are over. The superstars like Clark are always going to demand and get the highest NIL in women's basketball. But the majority of NIL money is going to go to football and men's basketball. I simply don't think the pot of money that women's basketball will get is big enough for a lot of players to get big bucks. It also depends on what the coaches value. Some coaches value team chemistry more than others. Obviously, some coaches think they can create team chemistry with 5 new starters every year or you wouldn't see coaches like Calipary. It will be interesting to see if he tries that at Arkansas.

Looks like OSU's Gusters has landed at UCF! I think this is the 4th school in 5 years for the kid. Hope it goes well for her in her last season, shes definitely got a lot of talent!

Now, still waiting to see if there's any truth to the 'rumors' of the Sooners landing a 'big transfer'.....anybody have any updates or insight into this? I've heard Beers or Chen are possibilities, as well as Tulsa's Poindexter..

I think the percentage of women who think they will make big bucks professionally is lower than the percentage of men who are under this illusion. They might play in Europe for a while or even in the WNBA. But they know that they will need some kind of career after their playing days are over. The superstars like Clark are always going to demand and get the highest NIL in women's basketball. But the majority of NIL money is going to go to football and men's basketball. I simply don't think the pot of money that women's basketball will get is big enough for a lot of players to get big bucks. It also depends on what the coaches value. Some coaches value team chemistry more than others. Obviously, some coaches think they can create team chemistry with 5 new starters every year or you wouldn't see coaches like Calipary. It will be interesting to see if he tries that at Arkansas.
oh I agree, just saying some of the top talent and even lesser will take NIL money...as you said the chances of them making anything professionally with ball is lower than men, and that's my point. Heck even 15-25K a year would be a nice little nest egg to start with after school.

We were a finalist for her…top 50 ranked in the 23 class…but she played very little for A&M as a freshman

Thats a major step down from the talk about Miss State or South Carolina. I guess TCU giving better NIL than we are they are certainly an inferior program as far as caliber of team.

Thats a major step down from the talk about Miss State or South Carolina. I guess TCU giving better NIL than we are they are certainly an inferior program as far as caliber of team.
You are assuming that we were interested in her.

TCU coach Mark Campbell was a strong recruiter at Oregon and seems to be a players coach. Just a guess here…Van Lith went ring chasing at LSU and had a miserable time…so this time she is going to play for a coach she is more sure that she will have a good experience. Also at TCU she is likely to be able to be ball dominant like she was at Louisville.

TCU spending the $$$ to try and get better....Does TCU have more NIL than OU?

Not much info on donor NIL spending for women's basketball. Scherr was another high level recruit that started her college career at Oregon...so she would have known Campbell from when he was an assistant there....Campbell almost certainly would have been involved in recruiting her out of high school.

Last edited:
Don't let others fool you. Yes. The answer is yes. They have a ton of money, and can use it when they decide to. They have a very wealthy alumni base.

This is also frustrating. We haven't brought anyone in yet, and we really need either a legit Center that can score and defend or a legit guard. If TCU is bringing in several talented transfers then surely we can? We've performed much better than them of late and I refuse to believe that money is everything when it comes to WBB, perhaps it is in MBB. If we don't announce anything in 1 month's time I don't believe we're bringing in anything, unfortunately.

Back