USA U-18 Team (Coach Capel)

DSMok1

Reaction score
At the FIBA Americas at San Antonio, Team USA U-18 is doing very well. They have rolled to victories in their first 2 games, 131-63 over the Virgin Islands and 114-38 over Mexico.

With the win the U.S. is assured of a spot in the medal semifinals and in the process, qualified for the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship in Latvia. Earlier in the day, Canada, Argentina and Brazil also qualified for the U19 Worlds.

“It’s very special, very special (to have qualified),” said USA and University of Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel. “It’s one of the goals we wanted to accomplish, but it’s not the end goal for this group.”
It was the USA’s show throughout Sunday night. In the opening period, USA racked up a 36-6 lead, and widened the gap to 61-13 at halftime. USA shot 67 percent (26-39 FGs) in the half, and limited Mexico to 14 percent (5-36 FGs). The rebounding margin in the half was 31-12. The second half was more of the same, as USA outscored Mexico 53-25.

“Well, it’s tough (staying focused in a game like that),” said Capel. “I thought our guys showed some pretty good maturity in doing it. I thought they came out with the right mindset. We just had to come take care of business. We know we’ll have a tougher challenge tomorrow against Argentina, but I thought we did some good things today. Good things to get prepared for Argentina.”
Article

Draft Express has been impressed how the team is handling themselves:
Really impressed with the way these guys are representing the USA jersey. Not reacting to hard fouls, passing unselfishly, competing nonstop

No complaining after bad calls, no showboating, playing good, fundamental basketball. Great job by Jeff Capel and his staff
Source

Amazing how good a coach Capel is when he has coachable players.I'm not surprised at all because the record shows that Capel is a good coach,last season not withstanding.

They beat Canada by 33 tonight -- they face Brazil in the finals.

Nice going, Coach Capel (and his players)!

This team could have come into this tourney being lazy and complacent, but they are being coached very well by Coach Capel. To all Sooner fans that have given up on Coach Capel. WAKE UP! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:jcapel

This team could have come into this tourney being lazy and complacent, but they are being coached very well by Coach Capel. To all Sooner fans that have given up on Coach Capel. WAKE UP! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:jcapel

I'm sure Coach Capel laid some knowledge about our last season on them.

Surely you guys aren't talking about the Coach Capel who was such a miserable failure last season at OU?:confused:

Surely you guys aren't talking about the Coach Capel who was such a miserable failure last season at OU?:confused:

I see you've used the Confused smiley face. Are you really confused? If so, I'll try to clear it up for you.

See, last season, the Sooners, ranked in the top 20 in the preseason, turned in their worst hoops campaign in nearly 40 years, despite the presence of three much-hyped McDAA's.

Last year's team fell short of virtually all projections, and they did so in a fashion that went beyond wins and losses, behaving in a way that did anything but inspire loyalty and support from the fans. Instead, they exhibited self-centered attitudes, behaving inappropriately off the court and too often putting in minimal effort on the court.

When a team has a bad season like that -- particularly in a year when big things are expected of them from the fans, the media, and the college basketball community at large -- the coach is often assigned much of the blame. After all, it's his job to recruit talented players who will work hard, represent the university and its athletic program well, and fit his system, all of which tends to add up to wins on the court.

Should the players come in for much of the blame? Absolutely, and they did. But the coach will generally be held responsible, too, when a season goes that badly, just as he receives much of the credit when his teams play well.

Though many fans will criticize a coach when things are going badly, most of them -- the fair-minded ones, anyway -- will also praise him when things go well. So it's only appropriate that a number of posters have chimed in with some heartfelt "atta boys" for Coach Capel in a thread that details his team's accomplishments in the international U18 tourney.

The praise is sincere and well-deserved, just as was the criticism offered during and following the 2010 season.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Capel is one of the best young coaches in the country. Last season he got smacked by the triple whammy of a thin roster with no upper class talent due to taking over a team on probation, an injury to his best player and a freshman PG with a selfish attitude.

Unfortunately he was treated so poorly when he gets the ship rolling again in a year or two he will bolt for a better job.

Team USA in trouble. Down 67-60 in 4th quarter.

Heck of a game going on.
76-75 with about 3 minutes left.

OU recruit Quincy Miller hit the game winning 3 for team USA.

81-78 win.

great game- Brazil had a really good PG and Center. Quincy Miller had a great tournament. He is really skilled. I wonder about his strength against college players though. He is 190 lbs. He will need to pack on at least 20 lbs of muscle. He definitely has some Kevin Durant in his game.

A buddy of mine sat behind the bench for a couple of games and said that LeBryan Nash got in Capel's doghouse for being apathetic towards the inferior competition in the first two games. Nash didn't play at all against Canada and Brazil. You have to respect Capel for doing that. OU is recruiting Nash and a lot of coaches would bend over backwards to kiss the butts of these talented players in a similar situation.

Even if Capel had been kissing his butt I would still consider it a miracle if Nash choose OU.

Tonight was the first time I saw Miller outside of highlight tapes and this guy is a beast. Really could be a one and done. I like the Durant comparison but I think he has more potential in the low post that KD.

great job Coach Capel and the kids. Just wish we could get one of the kids on the team to become a Sooner

Nice going, Coach Capel and Team USA!

Back