UT to stay in Big 12?

A recent report:

Check out the latest Twitter updates from Pete Thamel, of the New York Times:
Big 12 AD confirms to the NY Times that Texas is on cusp of committing to Big 12. He said, "The musical chairs will stop."

Just got Dan Beebe on the phone very quickly. When asked if things look good, he said, "We'll keep going." Said he couldn't talk anymore.

So the Big 12 is going to be the Big 10, and not have a championship game? Does that mean that each team will play 9 conference games in football? Or will we add 2?

What media outlet would be willing to pay that much to a confernce with the bulk of the states being "flyover" country?
This reeks of pure desperation by Bebe to keep his job.
Even if some sports network shells out the big bucks to keep the Big 12 a float what happens if they don't get the returns (ratings) on thier inverstment?

But what you are forgetting is the impact the Super Conferences will have on the current TV situation.
CBS just inked a HUGE long-term contract to keep the NCAA tournament.
You really think they are excited to hear that chatter about the 4 super conferences starting their own tournament and basically making the NCAA the NIT? Talk about losing billions.
You really think ESPN who just paid big bucks to get the BCS games is excited to think the Super conferences could start their own Bowl series?
You really think all the networks are excited about all these super conferences starting their own cable networks?
The answers to all these questions is a resounding NO!

It seemed to me we all saw a lot less of the 3rd, 4th, 5th tier Big 10 games last year. It used to seem like those Purdue/Minnesota football games were on ESPN2 on Saturday morning/afternoons. Maybe it's just me but I don't remember seeing as many last year. Why? Because the Big 10 Network needs games as well. If all of a sudden you have 4-5 Super conferences with their own networks that gives ESPN & the networks less games/programming. Sure they will still get the top games but the lower tiered games fill valuable programming for them.
I can't imagine the networks are too excited at the possibility of all these changes and renegotiations.
If the Big 12 sticks together it probably delays the Super Conferences years.

I'm not a KU fan but I sure would like to see the tradition and rivalrys of the Big 12 continue.

For me, there is very little "conference tradition" with the loss of Nebraska football. Basketball is different but football is the driving force behind this chaos.

Back