UTEP will be a very tough game in the All College

thebigabd

Reaction score
This will be a very tough game against a good UTEP team... They have starters back at 3 positions and add Derrick Caracter, who transferred in from Louisville. They have a 6'6'' point guard who is one of the best passers in the nation, and an 18 ppg scorer at shooting guard who has been All-Conference both years at UTEP. They also have a 6'11'' guy who is going to have a really nice career at UTEP after making All-Freshman this past year.

It may not be the name you guys want from the All-College, but they will give OU everything they want and will have a chance to win. They will be a really tough team, and will matchup with OU really well.

PG: Julyan Stone (6'6'' 195)- Dished out a team-high 236 assists (6.4 apg) with 81 turnovers ... broke Filiberto Rivera's school record for assists in a season (229 in 2004-05) ... second on the team with 53 steals ... averaged 5.6 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 33.7 minutes ... became more of a scoring threat late in the season, averaging 7.6 ppg over the final eight games ... ranked seventh nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.91), and tied for ninth in assists ... within Conference USA, rated first in assist/turnover ratio, second in assists, tied for 10th in steals, 14th in minutes and 20th in rebounding ... became the only player in school history to have 100 assists as both a freshman and a sophomore

SG: Randy Culpepper (6'0'' 175)- Third team All-Conference USA as a sophomore, C-USA 6th man of the year as a freshman. second on the team in scoring, averaging 17.5 ppg ... shot 41 percent from the floor, 34.6 percent from outside and 74.5 percent from the charity stripe ... ranked sixth in C-USA in scoring, fifth in steals (1.8 spg), sixth in three-pointers made per game (2.4) and seven in three-point field goal percentage ... rated 85th in the country in steals and 89th in scoring ... led the team with 67 steals, the fourth-best seasonal total in UTEP annals ... with 89 three-pointers, broke Chris Craig's (2003-04) UTEP season record of 84.

SG: Myron Strong (6'2'' 185)- played at Southwest Tennessee Community College during the 2008-09 campaign, and at the University of San Francisco in 2007-08 ... named a 2009 second team NJCAA All-American and the Tennessee Community College Athletic Association (TCCAA) Player of the Year. played in 31 games and made 26 starts in his lone season at San Francisco ... averaged 10.0 points, 2.5 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.7 steals in 32.1 minutes per game for the Dons.

PF: Derrick Caracter (6'9'' 275)- Transferred to UTEP from Louisville, where he played for two seasons (2006-07, 2007-08) ... will become eligible to play for the Miners in December, 2009 ... averaged 8.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 18 games for the Cardinals in 2006-07...appeared in 35 of 36 games for Louisville during the 2007-08 campaign, as the Cardinals went 27-9 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament East Regional Final ... started 12 games that year and averaged 8.3 points and 4.5 boards, with a .552 field goal percentage ... in 53 games for Louisville, he scored in double figures 20 times.

C: Arnett Moultrie (6'11'' 225)- Member of the C-USA All-Freshman Team ... averaged 8.8 points and 8.2 rebounds in 26.8 minutes per game with 35 blocks ... shot 50.2 percent from the field ... with six double-doubles, had the second-best freshman total in school history ... became the first freshman to lead UTEP in rebounding since Anthony Burns in 1977-78 ... first among all C-USA freshmen in rebounding, and fifth nationally ... ranked fifth in C-USA in rebounding overall, as well as ninth in blocked shots (1.0 bpg) ... led the league in offensive rebounds per game (3.3) while rating fifth in defensive boards (4.9 avg.) ... ranked 72nd in the NCAA in rebounding ... had 302 rebounds, a UTEP freshman record and the fifth-best seasonal total in school history.

I'm not worried about UTEP. They basically have the same mediocre team coming back except that they replace Stefon Jackson who averaged 25 ppg for them last year with Myron Strong. Yes he was a first team juco all-american, but so were Omar Leary and Kyle Cannon.

If it was at UTEP maybe, but in OKC I say we win by double digits.

If UTEP is a very tough game then we are going to have some major problems once we hit conference.

I'm not worried about UTEP. They basically have the same mediocre team coming back except that they replace Stefon Jackson who averaged 25 ppg for them last year with Myron Strong. Yes he was a first team juco all-american, but so were Omar Leary and Kyle Cannon.

Except they add Caracter, who is a high level Big East player in the post. And the other big guy they return was 5th nationally for freshman in rebounding, and was 2 points and 2 boards away from averaging a double-double as a true freshman.

This is a huge challenge for Tiny and Orlando in the paint.

If UTEP is a very tough game then we are going to have some major problems once we hit conference.

Why? UTEP is going to have a good team and it will be on a neutral court against a very young Oklahoma team.

I think they match up well against OU... They have a 6'6'' point guard who is very experienced, OU has a freshman point guard with no experience. They have a shooting guard who averages 18 a game and is a great athlete, OU has a lotto pick at shooting guard who we are hoping averages 18-20 a game... They have two high level guys with experience in the paint, OU has no experience at all in the paint.

Its a good matchup for UTEP early in the season.

Last edited:
They finished 5th in a very weak C-USA year (outside of Memphis and somewhat Tulsa).
OU most likely has two lotto draft picks in our starting lineup along with a McDonald's AA PG and 4 year starter at the 3. I will say we have a lack of experience downlow but this isn't that early of a season match up. OU will already have played in the great Alaskan shoot out vs a possibility of comparable teams in Houston, San Diego and Washington St. Along with playing some or maybe even all three of Arizona, Utah and Arkansas. The team will have been playing games for about 6 weeks by the time UTEP rolls around and if they're going to be anywhere near what we expect them to compete in the big 12 they're going to win comfortable. It's not like this is a game within in the first couple weeks, this team should be hitting it's stride right before conference play.
I don't see how the PG will be a match up problem if you are assuming that, with the size of their other projected wings just let TMG guard the juco transfer who is only 6'2, let Tony lock up the "star" SG and Willie can use his length and athletic ability to harass the PG.
I just don't see how UTEP is "very tough" unless it's Stephen F Austin like sleepwalking appearance but I suspect Willie and Tiny can just take the game over offensively if need be.

It's a neutral court game like the Gonzaga game this year...don't kid yourself.

They finished 5th in a very weak C-USA year (outside of Memphis and somewhat Tulsa).
OU most likely has two lotto draft picks in our starting lineup along with a McDonald's AA PG and 4 year starter at the 3. I will say we have a lack of experience downlow but this isn't that early of a season match up. OU will already have played in the great Alaskan shoot out vs a possibility of comparable teams in Houston, San Diego and Washington St. Along with playing some or maybe even all three of Arizona, Utah and Arkansas. The team will have been playing games for about 6 weeks by the time UTEP rolls around and if they're going to be anywhere near what we expect them to compete in the big 12 they're going to win comfortable. It's not like this is a game within in the first couple weeks, this team should be hitting it's stride right before conference play.
I don't see how the PG will be a match up problem if you are assuming that, with the size of their other projected wings just let TMG guard the juco transfer who is only 6'2, let Tony lock up the "star" SG and Willie can use his length and athletic ability to harass the PG.
I just don't see how UTEP is "very tough" unless it's Stephen F Austin like sleepwalking appearance but I suspect Willie and Tiny can just take the game over offensively if need be.

Good points, but I still think they match up really well with OU. They will be really tough in the paint with Caracter and Moultrie, probably tougher than any other non-conference game OU has that I have seen on the projected schedule so far. We all know Caracter can play with Tiny (and has two years of Big East experience) and is way better than Orlando, and the Moultrie kid had a great frosh year and just recently won a gold medal (had 10 and 9 in the championship) for the United States in the U19 World Championships...

I just dont know who is going to produce outside of Tiny for OU in the paint right now, and I know they have two big, athletic, high level guys that will be one of the better post duos OU faces against all year.

Its not a big name, but it will be a great game on a neutral court.

pffffffffft

IMO UTEP is an excellent game for OU. They have enough talent and returning minutes to give the Sooners a game, but it's a contest we should win if we can play solid ball.

FWIW - they did win at the Pit in Albuquerque last year. But, their best player did graduate (Jackson), and I think they did have another kid declare early for the draft.

where do you project UTEP to finish in conference USA, abd?

where do you project UTEP to finish in conference USA, abd?

Probably 2nd or 3rd. Tulsa, UTEP, and Houston will finish in the top 3. I expect C-USA to get 2, possibly 3 teams in the NCAA Tournament. UTEP could finish in front of Tulsa, but I picked TU first because I am a homer.

1.) Tulsa
2.) UTEP
3.) Houston
4.) Memphis

Last edited:
Where is the connection that got this game scheduled? I agree that this could be a tough game and a decent enough resume builder, but I think a loss in this game would hurt much more than a win would help.

Why not try to scheduled a home and home neutral site game, like Indiana or Florida, where we would play at the Ford Center and an NBA arena like Conseco Field House or Amway Arena?

Probably 2nd or 3rd. Tulsa, UTEP, and Houston will finish in the top 3. I expect C-USA to get 2, possibly 3 teams in the NCAA Tournament. UTEP could finish in front of Tulsa, but I picked TU first because I am a homer.

1.) Tulsa
2.) UTEP
3.) Houston
4.) Memphis

Is Memphis really going to drop that far? That's pretty bad if true.

Is Memphis really going to drop that far? That's pretty bad if true.

I think it will depend if they can get everyone eligible. They'll have Latavious Williams (maybe) and Angel Garcia (maybe). Probably a difference between 1 and 4.

I messed up on their lineup, as I did not figure in the Arizona State transfer who averaged double figures in the Pac-10.... This is an NCAA Tournament team, and they have a legit chance to beat OU. This team will probably win C-USA.

PG: Julyan Stone (6'6'' 195)- Dished out a team-high 236 assists (6.4 apg) with 81 turnovers ... broke Filiberto Rivera's school record for assists in a season (229 in 2004-05) ... second on the team with 53 steals ... averaged 5.6 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 33.7 minutes ... became more of a scoring threat late in the season, averaging 7.6 ppg over the final eight games ... ranked seventh nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.91), and tied for ninth in assists ... within Conference USA, rated first in assist/turnover ratio, second in assists, tied for 10th in steals, 14th in minutes and 20th in rebounding ... became the only player in school history to have 100 assists as both a freshman and a sophomore.

SG: Randy Culpepper (6'0'' 175)- Third team All-Conference USA as a sophomore, C-USA 6th man of the year as a freshman. second on the team in scoring, averaging 17.5 ppg ... shot 41 percent from the floor, 34.6 percent from outside and 74.5 percent from the charity stripe ... ranked sixth in C-USA in scoring, fifth in steals (1.8 spg), sixth in three-pointers made per game (2.4) and seven in three-point field goal percentage ... rated 85th in the country in steals and 89th in scoring ... led the team with 67 steals, the fourth-best seasonal total in UTEP annals ... with 89 three-pointers, broke Chris Craig's (2003-04) UTEP season record of 84.

SG: Christian Polk (6'3'' 200)- Played for two seasons at Arizona State (2006-07, 2007-08) ... as a freshman in '06-'07 averaged 12.0 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 0.8 steals while making 26 starts ... his scoring average ranked seventh-best among freshmen. made 64 three pointers which at the time ranked second-best by a freshman in ASU history and eighth-best by a freshman in Pac-10 history ... led the Sun Devils in free throw percentage (34-for-43, .791) ... scored in double figures on 21 occasions ... had four 20-point games in the first six contests of the season ... opened the season with seven double-digit scoring performances...

PF: Derrick Caracter (6'9'' 275)- Transferred to UTEP from Louisville, where he played for two seasons (2006-07, 2007-08) ... will become eligible to play for the Miners in December, 2009 ... averaged 8.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 18 games for the Cardinals in 2006-07...appeared in 35 of 36 games for Louisville during the 2007-08 campaign, as the Cardinals went 27-9 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament East Regional Final ... started 12 games that year and averaged 8.3 points and 4.5 boards, with a .552 field goal percentage ... in 53 games for Louisville, he scored in double figures 20 times.

C: Arnett Moultrie (6'11'' 225)- Member of the C-USA All-Freshman Team.. Member of the American U-19 Gold Medal team ... averaged 8.8 points and 8.2 rebounds in 26.8 minutes per game with 35 blocks ... shot 50.2 percent from the field ... with six double-doubles, had the second-best freshman total in school history ... became the first freshman to lead UTEP in rebounding since Anthony Burns in 1977-78 ... first among all C-USA freshmen in rebounding, and fifth nationally ... ranked fifth in C-USA in rebounding overall, as well as ninth in blocked shots (1.0 bpg) ... led the league in offensive rebounds per game (3.3) while rating fifth in defensive boards (4.9 avg.) ... ranked 72nd in the NCAA in rebounding ... had 302 rebounds, a UTEP freshman record and the fifth-best seasonal total in school history.

I messed up on their lineup, as I did not figure in the Arizona State transfer who averaged double figures in the Pac-10.... This is an NCAA Tournament team, and they have a legit chance to beat OU. This team will probably win C-USA.

PG: Julyan Stone (6'6'' 195)- Dished out a team-high 236 assists (6.4 apg) with 81 turnovers ... broke Filiberto Rivera's school record for assists in a season (229 in 2004-05) ... second on the team with 53 steals ... averaged 5.6 points, 5.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 33.7 minutes ... became more of a scoring threat late in the season, averaging 7.6 ppg over the final eight games ... ranked seventh nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.91), and tied for ninth in assists ... within Conference USA, rated first in assist/turnover ratio, second in assists, tied for 10th in steals, 14th in minutes and 20th in rebounding ... became the only player in school history to have 100 assists as both a freshman and a sophomore.

SG: Christian Polk (6'3'' 200)- Played for two seasons at Arizona State (2006-07, 2007-08) ... as a freshman in '06-'07 averaged 12.0 points, 2.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 0.8 steals while making 26 starts ... his scoring average ranked seventh-best among freshmen. made 64 three pointers which at the time ranked second-best by a freshman in ASU history and eighth-best by a freshman in Pac-10 history ... led the Sun Devils in free throw percentage (34-for-43, .791) ... scored in double figures on 21 occasions ... had four 20-point games in the first six contests of the season ... opened the season with seven double-digit scoring performances...

C: Arnett Moultrie (6'11'' 225)- Member of the C-USA All-Freshman Team.. Member of the American U-19 Gold Medal team ... averaged 8.8 points and 8.2 rebounds in 26.8 minutes per game with 35 blocks ... shot 50.2 percent from the field ... with six double-doubles, had the second-best freshman total in school history ... became the first freshman to lead UTEP in rebounding since Anthony Burns in 1977-78 ... first among all C-USA freshmen in rebounding, and fifth nationally ... ranked fifth in C-USA in rebounding overall, as well as ninth in blocked shots (1.0 bpg) ... led the league in offensive rebounds per game (3.3) while rating fifth in defensive boards (4.9 avg.) ... ranked 72nd in the NCAA in rebounding ... had 302 rebounds, a UTEP freshman record and the fifth-best seasonal total in school history.

Nice work, ABD! UTEP looks like an incredibly formidable opponent, and I have to agree that their frontcourt is NASTY featuring two NBA quality bigs. I think one thing a lot of people might overlook about losing the Griffins is the fact that they averaged over 20 rebounds combined. Not to mention their tenacity to get loose balls. I obviously love Tiny's game, but his silky jumper may take him out of position for rebounds at times. Not a bad thing to be as skilled as Tiny, but that means Big O has to step up his game a couple notches. We will take a step back in the rebounding department, and these guys look to have the size to exploit that. If their 6-6 PG can play defense to go along with his passing skills we could be in trouble. Having said that I think we win this game in a shootout, 88-85. As will be the case against most foes..just too much :willie922_jpg_xs:!!!!

Nice work, ABD! UTEP looks like an incredibly formidable opponent, and I have to agree that their frontcourt is NASTY featuring two NBA quality bigs. I think one thing a lot of people might overlook about losing the Griffins is the fact that they averaged over 20 rebounds combined. Not to mention their tenacity to get loose balls. I obviously love Tiny's game, but his silky jumper may take him out of position for rebounds at times. Not a bad thing to be as skilled as Tiny, but that means Big O has to step up his game a couple notches. We will take a step back in the rebounding department, and these guys look to have the size to exploit that. If their 6-6 PG can play defense to go along with his passing skills we could be in trouble. Having said that I think we win this game in a shootout, 88-85. As will be the case against most foes..just too much :willie922_jpg_xs:!!!!

Nice points, Tiny. I really agree about Tiny and rebounding. There will be times when he is out doing some pick and roll type work, so we need guys like Ryan Wright, Orlando Allen, and Drew Fitzgerald to be able to hold their own on the glass if we want to be a decent offensive rebounding club.

On the defensive side, I would like to see Crocker, Cade, and Willis really help out on the glass. Cade has been really good at grabbing boards during his first two years.

Back