"Warriors-like Oklahoma is just what college hoops needs"

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Read: http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...ners-are-just-what-college-hoops-needs-012316

Look, I know this comparison will be laughed off at by some. I'm not saying I agree with it. It's a fun/trendy media narrative used for a catchy headline and to get clicks.

But, you know what? I'm just elated that this OU team is getting mentioned in the same breath as Golden State. They're the IT team in college basketball right now and it's so much fun to follow.

I've seen about five national columnists (CBS/Yahoo/USA Today/Etc) writing that OU should still be No. 1 despite the loss to Iowa State. Our little Sooners. All grown up and becoming the media darling nationally. Seriously, is this real life?

No longer the hunters. They're the hunted now. Taking everyone's best shot and giving it back, and then some, like today in Waco.

They may not win the national title. They may not get to the Final Four. I have no idea. Lord knows we've had our hopes high over OU sports teams in the past, only to have them come crashing down. We know nothing is guaranteed.

But "The Love" the program is getting is awesome. It's now gone beyond the token props that came with being No. 1 in last week's polls.

OU is the team getting the hype now. Maybe even over-hyped after today. I'm sure there are fans on a North Carolina message board somewhere *****ing about the hype OU has been getting today.

I honestly never thought I would see this happen.

Enjoy the ride.

I agree wholeheartedly with eveything you've said. It's why I'm left scratching my head over the negative posts we see here during and after even big wins like today's. The national media's totally sold on our team, but a certain faction of our fans is not.

This Sooner squad is in the midst of a special season, of a type we've rarely seen. I for one am enjoying every single second of it. Is it a perfect team? No team is and there's room for discussing what it can improve upon, but my goodness, am I enjoying this amazing ride and I feel sorry for anyone who isn't.

Last edited:
Wow!!! winning on style points with the national media is usually reserved for the blue blood programs.
It feels good doesn't it :dance005: for those of us that cheer in the LNC every year.

Many thanks to the people that worked to get the program here. Hopefully the national media attention makes it easier
to recruit the people that keep OU at this level.

Re: "Warriors-like Oklahoma is just what college hoops needs" | Fox Sports

Enjoy the ride.

Agree with all you say in OP. For a longtime OU basketball fan, this is like a dream. The national basketball media just loves the OU team. Even better, more and more OU fans are excited about the program.

This needs to be repeated. "Enjoy the ride!"

From the article: "the most beautiful team in college basketball".

WOW!

Read: http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...ners-are-just-what-college-hoops-needs-012316

Look, I know this comparison will be laughed off at by some. I'm not saying I agree with it. It's a fun/trendy media narrative used for a catchy headline and to get clicks.

But, you know what? I'm just elated that this OU team is getting mentioned in the same breath as Golden State. They're the IT team in college basketball right now and it's so much fun to follow.

I've seen about five national columnists (CBS/Yahoo/USA Today/Etc) writing that OU should still be No. 1 despite the loss to Iowa State. Our little Sooners. All grown up and becoming the media darling nationally. Seriously, is this real life?

No longer the hunters. They're the hunted now. Taking everyone's best shot and giving it back, and then some, like today in Waco.

They may not win the national title. They may not get to the Final Four. I have no idea. Lord knows we've had our hopes high over OU sports teams in the past, only to have them come crashing down. We know nothing is guaranteed.

But "The Love" the program is getting is awesome. It's now gone beyond the token props that came with being No. 1 in last week's polls.

OU is the team getting the hype now. Maybe even over-hyped after today. I'm sure there are fans on a North Carolina message board somewhere *****ing about the hype OU has been getting today.

Enjoy the ride.

I shall enjoy it! :OUbball-logo: :lon :buddy

But we don't have anyone with post moves!

Seriously this team is awesome. Probably as good as any OU team we've had the last couple decades.

Enjoy the ride.

This post is so good it warrants repeating, again!

Even if this OU team is not #1 in next week's polls, it's clear they are still #1 in the hearts and minds of a number of national sports writers and television commentators. I was hopeful, but never really thought OU basketball would rise to the top this fast and stay there.

Let's enjoy it while we can, folks! That's not to say that OU's cupboard will be bare next year and beyond. But, this team is special, and so is our opportunity to be witness to what they have and will continue to accomplish this season.

Let's enjoy it while we can, folks! That's not to say that OU's cupboard will be bare next year and beyond. But, this team is special, and so is our opportunity to be witness to what they have and will continue to accomplish this season.

this is spot on

Enjoy the ride.

Reminds me of the 80's...88 hurt. I HATED...manning and ku...
This is a fun team to watch..

Not only is it fun for us as OU fans to see the national love for the program, but it has to help OU in recruiting down the road. Kids that watch Golden State & OU this season are attracted to the high-scoring style of play and might become OU fans in the process. The football program gets recruits because their favorite player was Adrian Peterson or some other OU great, it wouldn't surprise me in the least for some future recruit sign with OU because Buddy Hield was his favorite player growing up.

I love this article! It is very accurate! When OU is on, they are hard to beat. But I just hope Spangler gets healthy before March, because 1 bad shooting night, and OU is heading home empty-handed. But that is a ways away! I am going to enjoy watching this team progress!

There are obvious reasons for the media to like this team, but I think one reason is that it's not made up of one and done players. We start 3 seniors who have started over 80 games together. People who have been paying attention have watched these guys grow and improve. That's much for fun to me than having 5 new starters every single year because your entire team, or most of it left after their freshman year.

Back