Was it a good coaching move to play zone and 1 post?

Was it a good coaching move to play zone and 1 post?

• Yes. Capel had no choice because they cant play man and the other post players cant play.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No. Capel should have played man defense and played Orlando, Fitz, and Wright for rebounding.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Capel was trying to outscore Houston and this was a one game strategy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not sure.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

thebigabd

Reaction score
Was it a good coaching move to play zone and only play 1 post?

-Houston scored 100 points
-Houston had 17 offensive rebounds
-Houston was 12-26 from the 3pt line
-OU beat a team on the glass by 1 that just got outrebounded by Nevada 57-27 and only outrebounded Nicholls State by 5.

First of all, this is like asking "was it a good idea for New England to go for it on Fourth down?" The answer is simple after the game.

Also, I don't think that the "No" option was very viable either. I don't think you could have had the big guys out there playing man against all the small, quick guys. Can you imagine Allen trying to run around with them. It might have been a bigger disaster. I think you either have to play zone with bigs or man with smalls, but not man with bigs. We did the fourth option, zone with smalls and that didn't work either. I can't vote "No" based on what you put there, however.

If you had made room for an "other" in your poll, I would have voted. lol

I didn't see the game (listened to it on the radio), but judging by what several posters have said, and with Houston lighting it up from three, OU must have stuck with the zone too long. But, it's easier to say that after the fact.

I have to assume that Coach Capel was not comfortable in trying to man up with Houston or he would have not started the game in a zone. Anyone who saw our first three games should understand why he wasn't convinced we could stay with anyone in a mtm defense. This team has not been good in a man to man since the season began, and apparently we're not very good in a zone either.

I'm not saying OU didn't stay with the zone longer than conventional wisdom should have allowed. I totally agree it's best to at least try to keep a team off balance by switching up defensive alignments. But, what makes anyone believe these kids would be magically transformed into a solid man to man defensive team virtually overnight, and be able to hang with an experienced, much quicker team like the Houston?

Back