Which ref called the foul on Crocker?

Big Old Booger

Reaction score
Late in the game, a Tech player, I'm guessing Singletary drove to the bucket and was stripped by Crocker. Which ref made that call because on the replay it appeared the ref under the basket didn't make the call, and he was the only ref who could see exactly what happened.

Did the short gray headed ref, the same one Capel went after on the non-call and got the T, make that call from half-court? On the replay, it appeared it had to be him.

Late in the game, a Tech player, I'm guessing Singletary drove to the bucket and was stripped by Crocker. Which ref made that call because on the replay it appeared the ref under the basket didn't make the call, and he was the only ref who could see exactly what happened.

Crocker tore his arm off and it was probably the easiest call of the night... The ref under the basket must have had his view blocked or something because it was a really easy call to make.

I think it was the one furthest away from the play who couldn't have been looking at the play since I saw the whole thing in front of me and the ref was behind the play. But, I'm not positive.

Who cares who called it IF it was the correct call? I've never understood that. At the end of the day, I want the right call to be made, at both ends of the court. If that takes the wrong ref calling that foul, that is fine. What Tony did is a foul everytime. And I was disappointed that he acted like he did when the whistle blew. I know tensions are high and he wants to win, but he knows that is going to get called.

Who cares who called it IF it was the correct call? I've never understood that. At the end of the day, I want the right call to be made, at both ends of the court. If that takes the wrong ref calling that foul, that is fine. What Tony did is a foul everytime. And I was disappointed that he acted like he did when the whistle blew. I know tensions are high and he wants to win, but he knows that is going to get called.

Well, you want offcials who, you know, actually see the play to be making the calls. I haven't seen the replay, so I can't comment on whether it was the right call or not. You say it is, so I'll just trust you. But it was an example of them being a really bad crew. We got some benefits of calls for sure, but they were just consistently horrible really for both sides. They are an example of a crew that favored "make-up" calls and "evening things up," which is the bad way to do it.

Point is, the wrong call was made too often (for both teams) and by calling things out of position that you couldn't have seen doesn't help matters and that's why *I* care.

As an OU fan, I didn't like the call, well, because I am an OU fan...but I see why they did blow the whistle. If you watch the replay, the lead official (under the basket) does see the ball being stripped and Crocker's left arm go up with out it.

However, the trail official who made the call has every right to whistle the foul he saw (Crocker's right arm being yanked after being depossessed) because Singletary came from his area (top of the key)...as an official, if someone drives to the basket from your area, you follow the play until the player gives it up. It was the right call, doesn't make it any easier to swallow considering how the game turned out.

My post from another thread...if you know how rotations work in officiating, it really isn't that hard to grasp why this foul was called.

The officiating was fine, we just suck.

Tony probably drew blood on that play. But Singletary deserved it.

Crocker tore his arm off and it was probably the easiest call of the night... The ref under the basket must have had his view blocked or something because it was a really easy call to make.

If it was the right call, then why didn't the ref who was within 5 feet of it make the call?

I don't care if it was the right call or not, what I do care about is some ref who is 50 feet from the play making the call when he couldn't see what happened. That's why it was a poor call.

Also, how many times did Singletary shove Crocker before they finally called a foul on Singletary? I counted 2 maybe 3 times...

I'll also add, I don't think officiating is why we lost the game. Missed free throws didn't help, but poor defense and atrocious offense is why we lost.

If it was the right call, then why didn't the ref who was within 5 feet of it make the call?

I don't care if it was the right call or not, what I do care about is some ref who is 50 feet from the play making the call when he couldn't see what happened. That's why it was a poor call.

Also, how many times did Singletary shove Crocker before they finally called a foul on Singletary? I counted 2 maybe 3 times...

I'll also add, I don't think officiating is why we lost the game. Missed free throws didn't help, but poor defense and atrocious offense is why we lost.

Just curious if you watched the replay from under the basket...you couldn't see much of Singletary's right side because Crocker came over the top. The ref "50 feet away" could see the play, he was following his rotation.

It wasn't a poor call at all, it was the right call.

I don't care if it was the right call or not

That sure is a strange position when complaining about officiating.

what I do care about is some ref who is 50 feet from the play making the call when he couldn't see what happened. That's why it was a poor call.

The guy under the basket must have had an obstructed view because it was one of the most obvious calls I have ever seen in my life.

I think they called 3 offensive fouls on him.

That sure is a strange position when complaining about officiating.

I'm not complaining about the officiating per se, I'm complaining about the fact the ref with the best view didn't make the call. The rest of the game was poorly officiated both ways but not an advantage to either team.

The guy under the basket must have had an obstructed view because it was one of the most obvious calls I have ever seen in my life.

It was obvious to you, I get that, but it wasn't to me and you and I had the same view. Again, that doesn't matter because neither you nor I are officials, or weren't in that game last night, however, it wasn't that obvious or the ref on the spot would have made the call.

I think they called 3 offensive fouls on him.

I think you are right, however how many did they miss where he shoved with his arm and Crocker went down. Crocker may have, and probably did, flop on each one even the ones called a foul, but you can't push off with the arm which should be an obvious foul call every time. This is a sign of how inconsistent the officiating was last night because they didn't call it 2 or 3 times, then called it every time. Either it is or it isn't a foul, make up your mind.

i agree, it was the right call. but the ref that blew his whistle didnt blow it on crocker, but warren. so did he really have a good look? he blew the whistle as soon as warren picked up the ball and started dribbling. if the ref saw the foul on Crocker than he should have blew the whistle way before warren was able to grab it and make a dribble or two and/or at least make it on the right person.

What sucked about that play is Tony grabbed the guy after he made the strip. If he just pulled his arm out it's a steal. I think momentum forced Tony to grab though.

What sucked about that play is Tony grabbed the guy after he made the strip. If he just pulled his arm out it's a steal. I think momentum forced Tony to grab though.

You're right, at least from the way I saw it (I should add that I DVR'd the game and watched that play at least a half dozen times). I thought Tony got all ball when he slapped it out of Singletary's grasp. However, Crocker didn't get his arm out soon enough and wound up committing the foul after the play should have been over.

I also thought it was very telling that the ref who blew the whistle tried to charge the foul to Willie.

It was obvious to you, I get that, but it wasn't to me and you and I had the same view.

Bigtime,

Can we get a clip of that play?

I also thought it was very telling that the ref who blew the whistle tried to charge the foul to Willie.
Right. Crocker even wears sleeves and wears number 5 to Willie's 13, so it makes little sense that he would have anything make him think that it was Warren that made the foul.

This is the same ref that T'd up Capel after swallowing his whistle when Willie got clotheslined driving to the basket. After allowing that garbage, he needs to accept some criticism from a coach and plenty more from the fans.

Well one thing is for certain the big abd is a homer for everything but OU

It's even funnier when some know-it-all ex-official chimes in like he's the supreme all-knowing source for officiating.

Dude, it was a foul in every sense of the word, lol... I literally can't see how someone doesnt acknowledge that being a foul.

Well one thing is for certain the big abd is a homer for everything but OU

Geez... After watching some games with you OU would have about 3-4 total fouls a game and the other team wouldnt have any players left, lol... In football, the other team would get called for holding 17 times a game if you were the official.

Back