Which ref called the foul on Crocker?

After he had already knocked the ball away.

I saw Crock's hand on or near his back on the replay. If that's what the ref was calling, it would have been nice to know that.
Right, and the ref that called it had to see through Singletary's body to see that Crocker hit his arm and not the ball. Although, he could easily see Crocker's arm around Singletary's back.

The guy under the goal saw it right in front of him and saw Crocker get all ball and made no call.

Edit: Look at 1:47:22. That's the Tech guy flailing his arms and not Crocker pulling his right arm. Crocker DID NOT rip the ball. He punched it.

I saw Crock's hand on or near his back on the replay. If that's what the ref was calling, it would have been nice to know that.

Irrelevant, makes no difference who has the ball if he yanks Singletary's right arm.

The foul wasn't on the drive or the immediate strip, Crocker's left arm yanks Singletary's out as the ball is being jarred loose.

I find it ironic that Booger is all over the trail official who made the correct call from "50 feet away", but is sparing the official who made the wrong call (i.e. no call) from under the basket. Why? Because the call didn't benefit OU. That's why you have three officials on the floor, the one under the basket made a mistake in judgement, his partner picked him up.

As for the one-and-one vs. two shots scenario, I don't know about that...should have been on the floor from my recollection.

That 3rd official was such a benefit as he "picked up his partner" that he called it on the wrong player.

Are you serious?

Last edited:
As of this moment, I am putting in a new policy of not arguing with boogers... Especially not big, old ones.

That was a foul. However, with what they let Singletary do all night to Crocker, It shouldn't have been called. Singletary pushed off more than any player I have ever saw.

That was a foul. However, with what they let Singletary do all night to Crocker, It shouldn't have been called. Singletary pushed off more than any player I have ever saw.

Pushing off isn't always called. Hacking somebody across their arm is.

You don't have to like it, but that is college basketball.

Pushing off isn't always called. Hacking somebody across their arm is.

You don't have to like it, but that is college basketball.

u know I never complain about officiating, but it was really frustrtating seeing Tony play good position defense and get called for fouls and get dislodged from his position and get called for fouls while it happened

Sidebar issue to specific calls by officials: I've noticed that the home fans of some schools loudly protest every single call as if their players never foul and the opponent always fouls. After noticing that, I paid more attention to when our fans protest. Thankfully, it's not every single whistle. Sometimes there's a huge groan, as if to say, '.........................! Why did you do that?" ;)

Why is that the bad call everyone is talking about because it didn't seem that bad but I haven't used replay. There were 2 makeup calls late that helped us get back close but most of the game it was non calls on our drives to the basket while calling tic tacs on us when tech drove. But if there were just 1 call it would be the tech player on a breakaway but Cade or another OU player knocked the ball free as he was going up--FOUL-- bad call. The inhouse replay showed it to be a clean strip and the call came from bench side trailing the play and screened by the players.

Roberson got his 3rd early in the 2nd if I remember but he wasn't called again because of non calls or calling another tech player instead. Bottom line the refs were real bad but not as biased as in the ut game.

I expect to get home cooked on the road but it should even out at home.

You can't take the ball and then rip a guys arm off. The hand is part of the ball but the arm never is. It was a foul.

Under your theory, I could block a shot up top and then crush the guy with my body. Getting the ball first does not mean it is not a foul. Getting only the ball (or the ball and only on a hand that is on the ball) is when it is not a foul. And honestly, you are not going to get the hand is part of the ball call all that often.

You have no idea what the trailing official saw... He probably saw the same thing everyone else could see, which was Tony Crocker coming over Singletarys shoulder and pulling his arm out, lol.

i do i was pretty much 15 feet from him with the same sight line ..

he/ we had no view of the foul .. to him it could have been a clean strip he had 0 way to know ..

the other ref 4 feet in front of the play (with a clear view fyi) did not call it a foul

Interesting thread to read...... I'll offer my perspective as both a fan and as an official.

I thought it was a foul and was an easy one to call. Crocker was beaten on the play and out of position when he reached across and slapped the ball, but at the same time came across the shooter's arm and ripped it away. It's hard not to get the arm when you're reaching from behind to strip the ball...... As I watched the replay during the game I wondered why Tony protested as much as he did because it was obviously the right call...... and I'm as much a homer fan for OU as anyone.

Now for the position of the officials...... I'm speaking from the perspective of being an official. Like Ada and some others (e.g. campbest), I've been in their shoes. I've called 1000's of games at the HS and JH level (not college) so I've experienced the subtle issues, gone through the training, made mistakes, etc.

First, the trail official wasn't 50 feet away. The court is 94 feet long and I promise he was on the right side of the half court line. In a 3-person crew the trail official is generally at about the top of the extended circle which is 25 feet from the baseline, whereas the trail on the weak side is generally around the free throw line extended which is 19 feet from the baseline.

There is also a strong side and a weak side, and it can change several times during a half court set as the offense passes the ball. What that means is as the baseline official moves to the side of the ball (imagine the baseline official isn't supposed to stay in the paint longer than 3 seconds, too, so he rotates to the side of the lane), the trail on that side moves up to the top of the circle and the other official on the weak side drops down to the free throw line extended.

It looked to me as if the play was happening as the officials weren't finished with a switch .... no big deal, but the baseline official was on the weak side so Singletary was between the baseline official and Crocker. Tony did slap the ball, but it was an easy call for the trail to see him reaching for the ball and pulling the arm out from behind..... especially as campbest pointed out he was following the ball because the drive initiated from his coverage area so it was his responsibility to follow the ball until Singletary gave up possession. I think it was an easier call to see Tony pull the arm than to see a hand in the back..... he was blocked from that call IMHO.

Maybe the ref was a split second late because officials try not to double whistle a play and he was deferring to the baseline official ...... but officials are often criticized for anticipating a call so he waited for it to play out. I'm only guessing.

As for the one-and-one call Tony fouled him on the drive. He wasn't shooting. I would have called it on the floor, too. The only reason he got 2 shots is they were in the double bonus. The ref may have signaled it was on the floor so initially he signaled one-on-one but the scorekeeper told the ref they were over the 10 foul limit.

Mixing up numbers is easy to do. The ref is concentrating on calling the play and then has to pick up the number of the shooter (I suspect he did that first) and then the number of the defender (by then the players are mixed together). I often screw up early in a half when calling a foul on the floor and not getting the number of the offensive player, and then being told it's the 7th foul so they shoot the bonus ..... and having to check with the other officials to get the offensive player's number. I'd bet $10 the ref was getting Singletary's number right before trying to pick up Tony's number. You have to report both numbers to the scorekeeper when reporting the foul.

I'm just giving you my perspective .... in the end I thought it was the right call. Sorry if it's too much information.

Last edited:
It's even funnier when some know-it-all ex-official chimes in like he's the supreme all-knowing source for officiating.

Even funnier when a no-official that knows nothing about the concept of officiating thinks he knows more.

Even funnier when a no-official that knows nothing about the concept of officiating thinks he knows more.

If officials weren't so maddeningly inconsistent from game to game, half to half and minute to minute, the fans wouldn't second guess them so much. Their lack of consistency begs for criticism.

Back